Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Simmer on coming in hot saying he thinks Chychrun still has high value around the league, though he doesn't get into specifics of what that means. Said he'd jump on a swap for Ehlers (not going to happen).
While we watch our players fairly closely Chychrun had a 41 pt season, that's pretty decent 2nd pairing D production for some teams & top pairing for other teams that lack scoring from the defence. He may have just had a shitty yr defensively because our goalies both sucked last season & he was playing his off side. IMO he is still worth a 1st rd pick & valued right there with a RD like Andersson in Calgary who had a 39 pt season.

Markstrom's value may be in question given he is 34 yrs old, he was played .900 av last season & just over it this yr & who knows how he plays in front of this team. Moving back two spots is interesting if they are interested in also acquiring more good young players for the prospect pool. I assume new ownership also wants to acquire good young players for the future of this org, given they will lose a 1st soon, this is an opportunity to also check that box.

I think Calgary is one of those teams that Ott could achieve a few things with one deal, acquire a RD, a #1 goalie & move down in the draft just a little to acquire another 2nd rd pick. And I would include Korpisalo, Joseph, Chcychrun & the 7th OA. I think it's in the realm of possibility that Korpisalo could have a bounce back season with another team as Talbot did, but maybe not to the same extent. Korpisalo, Chcychrun & Joseph all have some value what that value is will be determined by the return they are able to acquire.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Dump Joseph and Brannstrom.

Extend Pinto, add an affordable bottom sixer like Martinook or Noesen and you’re done.
Why people are obsessed with dumping Joseph is beyond me. Noesen and Martinook are both older and projected to make more next year than Joseph (and will likely end up with 3-4yr deals). Build a better bottom-6 and Joseph will excel, just shuffle the deck and hope for the best gets the Sens nowhere.

Reactions: Sensators and DJB

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
While we watch our players fairly closely Chychrun had a 41 pt season, that's pretty decent 2nd pairing D production for some teams & top pairing for other teams that lack scoring from the defence. He may have just had a shitty yr defensively because our goalies both sucked last season & he was playing his off side. IMO he is still worth a 1st rd pick & valued right there with a RD like Andersson in Calgary who had a 39 pt season.

Markstrom's value may be in question given he is 34 yrs old, he was played .900 av last season & just over it this yr & who knows how he plays in front of this team. Moving back two spots is interesting if they are interested in also acquiring more good young players for the prospect pool. I assume new ownership also wants to acquire good young players for the future of this org, given they will lose a 1st soon, this is an opportunity to also check that box.

I think Calgary is one of those teams that Ott could achieve a few things with one deal, acquire a RD, a #1 goalie & move down in the draft just a little to acquire another 2nd rd pick. And I would include Korpisalo, Joseph, Chcychrun & the 7th OA. I think it's in the realm of possibility that Korpisalo could have a bounce back season with another team as Talbot did, but maybe not to the same extent. Korpisalo, Chcychrun & Joseph all have some value what that value is will be determined by the return they are able to acquire.
I think the biggest thing Chychrun proved last year was that he could stay healthy. If there was any weariness over a long-term extension, that dramatically improved his image in the eyes of would-be suitors.

Add his +skating, +++shot, solid passing and good positional play and you have a very valuable defenseman. There's going to be GMs out there, too, that think he played on a shit team with shit coaching and think they can get a lot more out of him than what he produced. It's an excellent recipe for a good return.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I feel like a Chychrun trade might happen this week. If we're getting a 2024 1st back, both teams will probably want some time after the dust settles to re-evaluate where it leaves their board in preparation for draft night.

• Love
Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the deal is ugly.

Chychrun + 26 is an overpay for a 50% retained Markstrom.

Kadri will be an albatross contract very soon so there is no value there.

7OA is too much for 2 years of Andersson
Kadri will be an albatross, but I don't know if it's enough to cancel out Korpisalo. At least Kadri brings something to the table and had a solid year producing last year as opposed to just being an awful Campbell like contract.
Well, the Flames have become our favourite trading “partner” for trade proposals lately. Its like a one-stop shop for all our needs. It seems like they’ve become a charitable organization as well.
Lol, well, there was some attempt to compensate in some of the deals I guess, but in general, the cost to dump Korpse is bound to be very high and there's no mental gymnastics that will get the team out of paying that in any deal he's included in.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Simmer on coming in hot saying he thinks Chychrun still has high value around the league, though he doesn't get into specifics of what that means. Said he'd jump on a swap for Ehlers (not going to happen).
Chychrun has one year remaining on his contract and then he is a UFA. That creates a lot of uncertainty around his trade value. His trade value could be higher than some expect if the team acquiring him is able to sign him right away.

If he wants to be a number 1 d man and get paid like one then that could hurt his trade value as most teams likely aren't that convinced that he is the best option for that role and the kind of contract that comes with it.

I think the kind of question should be "what kind of contract is good value for Chychrun?" Then you can speculate what the difference will likely be in terms of cap hit, salary, and term that Chychrun will be willing to sign for. Whatever that difference is could then be used as a metric to decrease his trade value in some kind of quantifiable terms.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Korpisalo for Pageau?

Both are buyout candidates. We would not buyout Pageau, but instead keep him as our "veteran" acquisition.

If the Islanders were already going to buy Pageau out, Korpisalo's buyout is nearly 2M cheaper for both of the next two seasons. It's twice as long as the Pageau buyout, but the point would be for the Islanders to prioritize short-term cap space at the expense of having dead cap on the books for a longer period of time.

You have to understand that they have almost no cap flexibility next season. It's absurd. They have 6.6M in cap space with 17 players signed. Assuming they fill out 6 roster spots with players on 2-way type contracts, that still eats up almost all of that 6.6M. Maybe leaving them with 2M of cap space at most.

In terms of Ottawa, he wouldn't be our first choice for a veteran player, but it gets us out of the final 2 years of the Korpisalo contract and gets us a bottom 6 centre.

Chychrun has one year remaining on his contract and then he is a UFA. That creates a lot of uncertainty around his trade value. His trade value could be higher than some expect if the team acquiring him is able to sign him right away.

If he wants to be a number 1 d man and get paid like one then that could hurt his trade value as most teams likely aren't that convinced that he is the best option for that role and the kind of contract that comes with it.

I think the kind of question should be "what kind of contract is good value for Chychrun?" Then you can speculate what the difference will likely be in terms of cap hit, salary, and term that Chychrun will be willing to sign for. Whatever that difference is could then be used as a metric to decrease his trade value in some kind of quantifiable terms.

With the cap going up, I think the floor for his value should be reasonably high.

There will be a team who either misses out on free agent top 4 defensemen, or does not want to commit big money or term to sign a UFA defenseman.

I could very easily see a team giving up a 1st for Chychrun with the intention of him being a cheap (cap wise) acquisition.

The bigger question to me is more, what is his ceiling trade value wise.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Korpisalo for Pageau?

Both are buyout candidates. We would not buyout Pageau, but instead keep him as our "veteran" acquisition.

If the Islanders were already going to buy Pageau out, Korpisalo's buyout is nearly 2M cheaper for both of the next two seasons. It's twice as long as the Pageau buyout, but the point would be for the Islanders to prioritize short-term cap space at the expense of having dead cap on the books for a longer period of time.

You have to understand that they have almost no cap flexibility next season. It's absurd. They have 6.6M in cap space with 17 players signed. Assuming they fill out 6 roster spots with players on 2-way type contracts, that still eats up almost all of that 6.6M. Maybe leaving them with 2M of cap space at most.

In terms of Ottawa, he wouldn't be our first choice for a veteran player, but it gets us out of the final 2 years of the Korpisalo contract and gets us a bottom 6 centre.

With the cap going up, I think the floor for his value should be reasonably high.

There will be a team who either misses out on free agent top 4 defensemen, or does not want to commit big money or term to sign a UFA defenseman.

I could very easily see a team giving up a 1st for Chychrun with the intention of him being a cheap (cap wise) acquisition.

Not even a question. 16 mil completely wasted or 10 mil for a grossly overpaid, but useful player. I would do backflips down the street.

Reactions: DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Korpisalo for Pageau?

How valuable is one year of a low cap hit? Sure, Chychrun has a $4.6 m cap hit which is valuable but it is for one season and he is a UFA at the end of the year. A team looking to acquire him will still want to plan around what kind of contract they might need to give him to keep him over term and whether that makes sense for them. Teams have a finite number of roster spots and finite amount of cap, there is an opportunity cost to committing to any contract.

Hypothetically, let's say Chychrun wants a Darnell Nurse kind of contract, that is a $9.25 m cap hit over 8 years. Is the savings in cap hit for one season really that valuable? How valuable of an asset is Chychrun to an organization if a contract like that is required to keep him? What kind of assets would a team be willing to part with if what they get is one season of Chychrun with a low cap hit, and then need to give him that kind of contract to lock him up long term?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Korpisalo for Pageau?
If NYI offers Pageau, we have to take that offer because JGP is too useful of a bottom 6 guy for us to pass on + moving Korpi.

Issue becomes, Staios needs to get even more creative with capspace to address goaltending and D. Moving Forsberg and Chychrun won't be enough, Staios will have to find a buyer for Norris which won't be too easy.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Why people are obsessed with dumping Joseph is beyond me. Noesen and Martinook are both older and projected to make more next year than Joseph (and will likely end up with 3-4yr deals). Build a better bottom-6 and Joseph will excel, just shuffle the deck and hope for the best gets the Sens nowhere.

I’m not obsessed with moving Joseph.

If you have the opportunity to add Kadri, Andersson and Markstrom, who are all significantly more important contributors than Joseph, you have to cut dollars somewhere. It won’t be 7, 18, 28, 9, 19, 57, 72, 85, or 2. Not many high dollar options left. It’s Joseph by process of elimination.

Besides I don’t see either making more than Joseph.

If so, then move on to someone else. Whoever comes in has to make under 2.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Kadri will be an albatross, but I don't know if it's enough to cancel out Korpisalo. At least Kadri brings something to the table and had a solid year producing last year as opposed to just being an awful Campbell like contract.

Lol, well, there was some attempt to compensate in some of the deals I guess, but in general, the cost to dump Korpse is bound to be very high and there's no mental gymnastics that will get the team out of paying that in any deal he's included in.
I’ll admit to a bit of hyperbole in my post. I would think the Flames try to sign Andersson at some point though versus just moving him now to us (or whomever).

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If NYI offers Pageau, we have to take that offer because JGP is too useful of a bottom 6 guy for us to pass on + moving Korpi.

Issue becomes, Staios needs to get even more creative with capspace to address goaltending and D. Moving Forsberg and Chychrun won't be enough, Staios will have to find a buyer for Norris which won't be too easy.

Greig-Pinto-Pageau would be a heck of a pain to play against.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How valuable is one year of a low cap hit? Sure, Chychrun has a $4.6 m cap hit which is valuable but it is for one season and he is a UFA at the end of the year. A team looking to acquire him will still want to plan around what kind of contract they might need to give him to keep him over term and whether that makes sense for them. Teams have a finite number of roster spots and finite amount of cap, there is an opportunity cost to committing to any contract.

What I am saying is that there are going to be teams who feel they need a top 4 defenseman this season to compete, but don't have the long term cap flexibility to go 6M-8M over multiple years with the available free agents.

So in a worst case scenario where he won't extend with a team, there is still a lot of value to getting Chychrun as a 1-year rental for the right team who cannot commit to what will be an inflated price (in term+cap) for a UFA equivalent.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I’ll admit to a bit of hyperbole in my post. I would think the Flames try to sign Andersson at some point though versus just moving him now to us (or whomever).
Ya they're a hard one to pin down. They clearly aren't looking to just sell off everything and burn it to the ground veteranless and bottom out for 6 or 7 years like we saw in Ottawa. They just sold off a couple core D men as it is. If they deal Andersson, it seems like keeping Weegar would be wise, but he may want to move on if they aren't competitive. I'd love to get either, but would prefer Weegar for the contract situation.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Greig-Pinto-Pageau would be a heck of a pain to play against.
Pageau would be a great mentor for Pinto, Greig and Stu as well. Could get them to improve their FO and commit to the backcheck.

He's no Selke contender, but a smart defensive middle 6 guy that we've needed for a while

Reactions: Bileur

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Significantly older, makes more money, and isn't as good as Joseph. Great replacement I guess.
He still has great speed and PK abilities, which is what you miss when you move Joseph. On top of that he has some grit and checks the character box, then makes you more likely to get Chris.

It’s a smart move imo.

Reactions: Duncstar

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Is Seattle even looking to trade Tanev? They have a lot of cap space and he brings an element they are missing from a lot of their forward group (much like Joseph does for us).

It's obviously a ploy to try to convince his brother to sign with us. If we can acquire Brandon for cheap, sure go ahead, but because it's so obvious Seattle will probably ask for more than Brandon is worth.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Is Seattle even looking to trade Tanev? They have a lot of cap space and he brings an element they are missing from a lot of their forward group (much like Joseph does for us).

It's obviously a ploy to try to convince his brother to sign with us. If we can acquire Brandon for cheap, sure go ahead, but because it's so obvious Seattle will probably ask for more than Brandon is worth.
Unless they basically do Brandon a solid, if he were in to it. I could see them being reasonable if that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00