Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I think Nashville is the team that makes the most sense by far as a Chychrun suitor.

They just dealt McDonagh for a 2nd, not because they have great depth at LD, but rather because they wanted to do him and his family a favour by letting them go home to Tampa.

That opened up 6.75M and a 2nd pairing LD spot. They currently have 26M in cap space with Carrier as the biggest name to re-sign.

They are in a re-tool and are trying to get younger while still competing for a playoff spot. Chychrun being 26 will have more value to them than contenders, and basically all of the other quality LD that may be available on July 1st are in their 30s. Could probably extend him right away too.

They have 5 2nds and 3 1sts over the next 2 years. Could see them offering Tampa's 1st (playoff protected) in 2025 or a couple 2nds in 2024/2025. Maybe Fabbro/Schenn could be a piece in the deal if they manage to re-sign Carrier and sign Pesce, who they've been after for awhile.
I don't want him to go to the Leafs, but Toronto makes a lot of sense too. They're looking to add a couple of top 4 D. Plus, Chychrun having Ontario roots means he may be more likely to re-sign in Toronto,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was really good here. He and Paul were close as well. The version of Connor Brown that played here is exactly what the team should be looking to add to the lineup.
He was great while here but playing higher than is ideal, his offense was boosted by the opportunity he wouldn't normally have gotten, just like year one of Tierney. I think in an environment where the cap is rising instead of flat we probably get a first for him but the market wasn't great for sellers.

If he was on the team now though, he's on our third line and not getting any PP time, so probably a 30-40 pts winger. That's a solid third liner, and certainly something we could use right now.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't want him to go to the Leafs, but Toronto makes a lot of sense too. They're looking to add a couple of top 4 D. Plus, Chychrun having Ontario roots means he may be more likely to re-sign in Toronto,

I just struggle to see what they would have to trade for him.

Don't think they put the 23rd OVR on the table and they have no 1st in 2025 and no 2nd in 2024/2025. Not a great prospect pool either.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I just struggle to see what they would have to trade for him.

Don't think they put the 23rd OVR on the table and they have no 1st in 2025 and no 2nd in 2024/2025. Not a great prospect pool either.
I mean I'd be satisfied with the 23rd overall and a 2026 second, or 23rd overall and a B level prospect.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'm sure Staios would be too, but I don't see the Leafs trading that selection and ending up with no picks in the first 3 rounds in 2024 and 2025.
Eh, I'm not sure the Leafs would care that much if it gets them a good player. There's a lot of pressure for them to achieve playoff success, they don't have time to wait for their 2024 selection to develop.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Would you guys consider:

Chychrun
Korpisalo

Andersson (2 years left but if you knew he would sign longterm)
Kadri
Markstrom

We would trade Joseph for pick(s) to make cap work.
$87.5 million

F 52.5
Tkachuk 8 Stutzle 8 Giroux 6.5
Norris 8 Kadri 7 Batherson 5
Greg 1 Pinto 3 1
1 Kastelic 1 1

D 26.5
Sandy 8 Zub 4
Chabot 8 Anderson 4.5
Kleven 1. ? 1

G 8.5
Markstrom 6
Forsberg 2.5

I just can’t decide. It seems to have everything we are looking for….but…
Nope. That’s a lot of AAV to take on. Our off season would be done.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Nope. That’s a lot of AAV to take on. Our off season would be done.

Sure, but what else do you want to add?
Top 6 vet forward - check
Top pair RHD - check
Starting goalie - check

It works with the cap if you trade Joseph for pick(s).
Not sure I want to do it either BUT it addresses everything - again if we knew we could re-sign Andersson in 2 years I’d think long and hard about it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Some of these deals are barely sending out enough to make up for Korpisalo's contract let alone a return like Andersson + Markstrom.

If you're sending 7, 26 & Chychrun, you have to assume 1 and a half to 2 of those pieces are the cost to dump Korpisalo's contract just in itself.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Some of these deals are barely sending out enough to make up for Korpisalo's contract let alone a return like Andersson + Markstrom.

If you're sending 7, 26 & Chychrun, you have to assume 1 and a half to 2 of those pieces are the cost to dump Korpisalo's contract just in itself.
I think the deal is ugly.

Chychrun + 26 is an overpay for a 50% retained Markstrom.

Kadri will be an albatross contract very soon so there is no value there.

7OA is too much for 2 years of Andersson

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I've mentioned this before, but we don't have to worry about Korpisalo. We're going to extort Calgary for a 7 for 9 swap. Go right over their GMs head and negotiate with their ownership group. We're going to strategically leak a Twitter graphic celebrating us picking Iginla, and then their owners are going to run down tot he draft floor and beg us to give them Korpisalo.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'm sure there's a team that would take chychrun on with some retention and offer a reasonable package. He'd be an absolute steal for a playoff contender at 3M or so.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I'm sure there's a team that would take chychrun on with some retention and offer a reasonable package. He'd be an absolute steal for a playoff contender at 3M or so.

He is already a steal at 4.6M for a 22 minute a night defenseman. The Senators aren't retaining on him.

I don't expect the Senators to recoup 12th OA and the three seconds it took to facilitate his acquisition, but people are way underrating his value.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He is already a steal at 4.6M for a 22 minute a night defenseman. The Senators aren't retaining on him.

I don't expect the Senators to recoup 12th OA and the three seconds it took to facilitate his acquisition, but people are way underrating his value.
2 seconds not 3

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Simmer on coming in hot saying he thinks Chychrun still has high value around the league, though he doesn't get into specifics of what that means. Said he'd jump on a swap for Ehlers (not going to happen).

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRig4 and gab6511

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Philly and Nashville would be good trade partners for Ottawa for Chychrun. Chychrun trade is going to be underwhelming, best case is we just fill gaps in our roster or recoup some capital.

Torts can turn him into a better player and has some assets to move. See if we can get Atkinson and Hathaway or some of their draft picks (they have some extra seconds we could use).

Try to get Lauzon, Smith/Sissons, and some of their draft picks from Nashville.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sure, but what else do you want to add?
Top 6 vet forward - check
Top pair RHD - check
Starting goalie - check

It works with the cap if you trade Joseph for pick(s).
Not sure I want to do it either BUT it addresses everything - again if we knew we could re-sign Andersson in 2 years I’d think long and hard about it.

Dump Joseph and Brannstrom.

Extend Pinto, add an affordable bottom sixer like Martinook or Noesen and you’re done.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Well, the Flames have become our favourite trading “partner” for trade proposals lately. Its like a one-stop shop for all our needs. It seems like they’ve become a charitable organization as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad