Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I remember thinking Connor Brown was going to return a late 1st too.

Was coming off a 50P/82GP season on a bad team while providing excellent two-way play, and like Chychrun he had a low cap hit for the value he provided.

We only got a 2nd for him. Maybe we get a couple 2nds for Chychrun, but I'm expecting a 2nd+3rd if traded for picks, but I think he'll be dealt in a player-for-player deal.

If we wanted a 1st+ for him we would have had to deal him at the deadline, maybe with some retention. We didn't do that for some reason and squandered his value as a rental, so now we're looking at a lower return.
Connor Brown is a 3rd line winger not a top 4 D. God damn it's stupid season in here.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Connor Brown is a 3rd line winger not a top 4 D. God damn it's stupid season in here.

You're living in the clouds.

Brown was a 50P/82GP guy with excellent two-way play when he was dealt.

Chychrun is an offensive defenseman prone to brainfarts that is coming off a 41P/82GP season.

I think Chychrun will get more but not by a huge amount. We got ripped off by ARZ and managed this asset horribly. We're not getting anywhere close to what we gave up to get him unfortunately.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was also traded under the frozen cap vs a year with a big jump. Very different situations,

The reality is if we were going to accept a 2nd with a small plus, he'd be gone already

He had a bad year, but he's worth more to us than a second imo.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If a second is all we can get for him we'd be better off keeping him and using him in Brannstrom's spot on the third pair,
I’d think they’ll possibly get a late first, though not sure it would be this draft so not as valuable.

Market for him is going to be very small. Not many teams need a power play, offensive guy and the market is absolutely flooded with D through UFA period.

If they want to trade him for draft picks this year, I’d hope for a late 1st, but would think 2nd’s would be the main asset teams were shopping. And I’m not expecting any kind of decent prospect, another Sebrango type

If we were offered a 1st at the deadline when they were clearly shopping him he’d be gonzo now. If their price isn’t met and we keep him only to lose him in a year, we’re dummies, we don’t want him in the roster to start the year. We need his money off the table. He’s a negative on the team with it as it is. A redundant piece that isn’t helping where they need help.

If he’s nice and will sign an extension with a team that’s willing to pay up, perfect. But that kind of paying up I can’t see more than a late 1st + b asset. He’s not a core guy.

I know I’d be extremely disappointed if we gave up 25th alone for him, and I’m not sure a playoff team will be looking to add that kind of player

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I’d think they’ll possibly get a late first, though not sure it would be this draft so not as valuable.

Market for him is going to be very small. Not many teams need a power play, offensive guy and the market is absolutely flooded with D through UFA period.

If they want to trade him for draft picks this year, I’d hope for a late 1st, but would think 2nd’s would be the main asset teams were shopping. And I’m not expecting any kind of decent prospect, another Sebrango type

If we were offered a 1st at the deadline when they were clearly shopping him he’d be gonzo now. If their price isn’t met and we keep him only to lose him in a year, we’re dummies, we don’t want him in the roster to start the year. We need his money off the table.

Yep, very unfortunate situation. Carbon copy of the Debrincat situation. Buy high and have to trade the player when his value is low. These 2 trades have completely changed the future of this group of players and I'm not sure enough people realize that. Goes to show how a few mistakes can turn a promising foundation into something not so promising.

Best we can hope for is to "recoup" some value by signing a good RHD. Which is... easier said than done when you are far from a playoff team.

No way Philly trades Bonk for Chychrun. I'd bet they're offering Laughton with a small kicker or something similar.

Last edited:

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

If we were offered a 1st at the deadline when they were clearly shopping him he’d be gonzo now. If their price isn’t met and we keep him only to lose him in a year, we’re dummies, we don’t want him in the roster to start the year. We need his money off the table.
I think either Washington, Philly, Boston, or Detroit could all take a swing at him. That's just in the East; if he is a sign n trade we get more. This isn't PD in charge anymore thank God.

We won't get what we payed. We all know this. We sure as heck get more than a 2nd and b prospect. Maybe it's even a good old hockey trade. Should be over soon enough atleast so I can stop bickering hah.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would love for people convinced Chychrun will get a 1st+ to make a list of teams they think:

1. Would be interested in Chychrun
2. Have 4.6M in cap space to fit him in
3. Have room on their top two pairings at LD
4. Have a spot open on one of their top 2 powerplay units for him to play as QB
5. Have disposable assets to trade for him

It's a very short list. Most teams already have two good left-handed defensemen, there's a surplus around the league of offensive D who can QB a PP.

We made the mistake of trading for him without satisfying requirements 2 and 4, which is why he hasn't worked out well and why it makes sense to trade him. Don't think another team will make that mistake knowing how it turned out for us.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Where is this Chychrun and Philly rumour from?

1718501025119.gif

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Could we pull off something like Chychrun for Oliver Bonk and small +, or am I dreaming?

Maybe with an extension, if he is willing to sign with multiple teams.

It will probably be something like Chychrun for 32nd Overall+Morgan Frost or Scott Laughton+Carter Sotheran or another B/C type prospect.

I originally heard it from an HFBoards executive.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Drysdale, Laughton, 2027 6th round pick for Chychrun, Joseph, Boucher, 39th overall, 2027 5th round pick.

The logic being, Drysdale had injury troubles before they acquired him, and he has not been good for them relative to expectations. They see him as a bust, and want to get a star for him before the rest of the league realizes it. On the flip side, Chychrun had injury troubles before the Senators acquired him, and he has not been good for them relative to expectations. They see him as a bust, and want to get a star for him before the rest of the league realizes it.

It's the perfect trade.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Drysdale, Laughton, 2027 6th round pick for Chychrun, Joseph, Boucher, 39th overall, 2027 5th round pick.

The logic being, Drysdale had injury troubles before they acquired him, and he has not been good for them relative to expectations. They see him as a bust, and want to get a star for him before the rest of the league realizes it. On the flip side, Chychrun had injury troubles before the Senators acquired him, and he has not been good for them relative to expectations. They see him as a bust, and want to get a star for him before the rest of the league realizes it.

It's the perfect trade.

Don't think they give up on the centerpiece of the Gauthier return after 24 games when he was coming off of a serious injury.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I know it isn’t based on the black Senagoth jersey, and who is actually working on the design with Fanatics.

Good luck to him, everything fanatics makes is just complete garbage.
I’m stocking up addidas lol

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Burrowsaurus posted that the Flyers beat writer said there's been lot of chatter between Ottawa and Philly.

People assumed it's Chychrun when it's more likely it's Joseph and maybe Laughton, who we were linked to prior to the change in management. Flyers were also the team we were discussing dumping Joseph on, but they were asking for way too much prior to the season.

Not sure they would even be interested in Chychrun. They could fit him in on their 2nd pairing but they already have Sanheim, Drysdale, York and Zamula as more offensive-oriented D that can run their powerplays.

Most likely trade partners for Chychrun are all in the Central division IMO. Nashville, Minnesota, St. Louis and maybe even Utah (if he's open to a reunion).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If a second is all we can get for him we'd be better off keeping him and using him in Brannstrom's spot on the third pair,

I think Kleven looking damn solid in that role late in the year kind of killed that possibility.

We'll want to re-allocate Chychrun's 4.6M elsewhere rather than have him play on the 3rd pairing and block a kid who's probably ready to play.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I remember thinking Connor Brown was going to return a late 1st too.

Was coming off a 50P/82GP season on a bad team while providing excellent two-way play, and like Chychrun he had a low cap hit for the value he provided.

We only got a 2nd for him. Maybe we get a couple 2nds for Chychrun, but I'm expecting a 2nd+3rd if traded for picks, but I think he'll be dealt in a player-for-player deal.

If we wanted a 1st+ for him we would have had to deal him at the deadline, maybe with some retention. We didn't do that for some reason and squandered his value as a rental, so now we're looking at a lower return.
You thought Connor Brown was going to return a 1st?

That seems a little crazy. Point totals or not, everyone could see he was playing way up the lineup in every situation because of the barren personnel available and I really don't think his time in Ottawa was ever going to drastically change the way he was viewed around the league. My 2 cents on that anyways.

Reactions: Duncstar and GCK

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Connor Brown was traded during the flat cap era when offseason prices were very depressed for players. Teams were giving away great players for nothing.

A 2nd was a really good return for a forward with a 3.6M cap hit. Bjorkstrand went for a 3rd.

Everybody knew he wasn't a 20 minute a night all situations 20 goal scorer, but I think he was still respected as a strong middle 6 two-way forward. Look at what Pageau with an extension returned before the pandemic.

I think that if the season wasn't cut short, we probably would have had a good chance of getting a late 1st for 1.5 years of Connor Brown at the TDL. After the flat cap was announced, I was surprised that he got a 2nd. I thought he would get less.

Reactions: NB613

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You thought Connor Brown was going to return a 1st?

That seems a little crazy. Point totals or not, everyone could see he was playing way up the lineup in every situation because of the barren personnel available and I really don't think his time in Ottawa was ever going to drastically change the way he was viewed around the league. My 2 cents on that anyways.

It's not just Brown. Almost every player we've traded in the last 15 years has not returned as much as the fans on HF thought they would get.

Not sure how many times people need to be disappointed before expectations get tempered.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We basically trade all our assets for Bonk and Laughton ? Not thanks.

Not sure how you figure that's "all our assets", and you seem to be missing the 12th OVR pick being in the deal.

Chychrun gets a late 1st or a couple 2nds max, which is well below what Bonk is worth having just been selected 22nd OVR and having a successful draft+1 season where he had over a PPG from the blueline.

Joseph and Laughton are similar quality players but we're one season removed from teams offering multiple 1st round quality pieces for Laughton and teams asking for a 1st to take on Joseph's contract, so I don't think their value is the same around the league even if I personally don't see much of a difference between the two.

Big gap in value between 7 and 12 obviously. I'd guess two 2nds at least, but considering the difference in value between the other assets it's probably a fair deal on paper.

I wouldn't do it but that's a deal that wouldn't shock me if it happened.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's not just Brown. Almost every player we've traded in the last 15 years has not returned as much as the fans on HF thought they would get.

Not sure how many times people need to be disappointed before expectations get tempered.
For sure. I wasn't looking to jump in on trying to value Chychrun, I'll wait that out, I just never saw Connor Brown quite like that. Nice player, but he put up 50 in 82 being used like Crosby and Barkov combined, just figured other teams saw through that and wouldn't have quite gone there.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For sure. I wasn't looking to jump in on trying to value Chychrun, I'll wait that out, I just never saw Connor Brown quite like that. Nice player, but he put up 50 in 82 being used like Crosby and Barkov combined, just figured other teams saw through that and wouldn't have quite gone there.

My expectation may have been off, but I absolutely loved Brown as a Senator. 50P/82GP without significant time on the #1 PP is excellent, and we all know how amazing he was defensively and on the PK.

That's clearly top 6 quality performance, whether or not teams considered him a true top 6 player or a more ideal fit on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My expectation may have been off, but I absolutely loved Brown as a Senator. 50P/82GP without significant time on the #1 PP is excellent, and we all know how amazing he was defensively and on the PK.

That's clearly top 6 quality performance, whether or not teams considered him a true top 6 player or a more ideal fit on the 3rd line.
I guess we'll never know either way. Sure looked good tonight and throughout most of this playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad