Make Buffalo a more desirable destination for players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Listening to a recent Rivet and Peters podcast they were talking about a video of the new Panthers' practice facility and just adding to attractiveness of playing for the organization. Amenities like golf cart parking lot, pickle ball courts, walls of TVs, etc.

They mentioned Buffalo has improved the food service and locker-room since those two were here. They added like a skill-development room or something. Peters mentioned covered parking, golf simulators, more TVs as things he'd want to see/ thinks would make playing here more enjoyable.

I thought it would be fun to see what other ideas people could come up with (aside from not sucking for 13 years, hiring different staff, lower income tax, or better weather).

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Listening to a recent Rivet and Peters podcast they were talking about a video of the new Panthers' practice facility and just adding to attractiveness of playing for the organization. Amenities like golf cart parking lot, pickle ball courts, walls of TVs, etc.

They mentioned Buffalo has improved the food service and locker-room since those two were here. They added like a skill-development room or something. Peters mentioned covered parking, golf simulators, more TVs as things he'd want to see/ thinks would make playing here more enjoyable.

I thought it would be fun to see what other ideas people could come up with (aside from not sucking for 13 years, hiring different staff, lower income tax, or better weather).

When you're playing catchup as much as Buffalo is, I don't think we need to be looking to do anything new or special -- just copy what the best orgs are doing, and keep your best players happy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Players driving golf carts in January in Buffalo is unlikely to make Buffalo a more attractive destination as players would be constantly stuck in the snow.

:sarcasm:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
And all these years we been yelling for them to get rid of the fireplace in players lounge

Reactions: Dirty Dog

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There is one thing above and beyond anything else that would make Buffalo a more desireable location:

Win.

It's really that easy. If we win, guys will want to come here.
Yeah obviously, but that's not what this thread is about

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I mean, the Bills players rave about their practice facility/weight room.

The Pegulas gutted and completed redid the locker room and training area the 1st year they were here.

In the end though, the hottest free agent destination we have ever seen in the last 30 years was a decrepit, aging arena in a rust belt city. That was the late 90s early 2000s Red Wings. Hall of Famers lined up to get their shot at a cup, year after year. Because they had great ownership, coach, and knew how to win.

You want to attract people, win.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
There is one thing above and beyond anything else that would make Buffalo a more desireable location:

Win.

Yup. We've seen it happen with the Bills.

I do think bringing in Lindy will help. I remember asking for a list of players available who have played for him, and some kind soul replied.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Buffalo needs to take advantage of the proximity to Canada with lower taxes and a quieter life from the media than Toronto.

Try to draw in players born in Ontario.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo needs to take advantage of the proximity to Canada with lower taxes and a quieter life from the media than Toronto.

Try to draw in players born in Ontario.

Are taxes better in NY as opposed to Ontario? .. Im not so sure.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Are taxes better in NY as opposed to Ontario? .. Im not so sure.
At higher salaries taxes are 40%
Then you have 13% HST on anything you buy or services

That's a 53% tax.

Gas is around 5 dollars a gallon or 1.60 a liter canadian

We haven't even gotten into the cost of a house in Toronto or property tax.

Buffalo could be better for some who can drive across the border and see family in an 1-1.5 hours.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
At higher salaries taxes are 40%
Then you have 13% HST on anything you buy or services

That's a 53% tax.

Gas is around 5 dollars a gallon or 1.60 a liter canadian

We haven't even gotten into the cost of a house in Toronto or property tax.

Buffalo could be better for some who can drive across the border and see family in an 1-1.5 hours.

The HST would be on purchases. Not a huge factor. You don't add your income tax rate to the sales tax rate to produce a tax rate.

The top marginal income tax rate is 53.53%, that is what matters.

A $7 M contract would leave someone with $3.3 M after tax. Ridiculous. I know. There are ways to limit that tax based on days residing in Canada. NY State would be $3.6 M. Slight advantage but likely mitigated with tax planning. No tax states like Florida will kill Buffalo too. But Canada, especially Toronto, will have way more places to make money off the ice.

But it is very true that proximity matters. Buffalo is a great place to play because you are close to Southern Ontario and SW Ontario, and not everybody can play for the Leafs or wants to because of scrutiny.

I know running into Owen Power's family that they love it in Buffalo. They have season tickets and go to lots of games. Skinner has said the same thing. Josh Bloom's father told me same thing. They were super happy to be picked by the Sabres because the family was just west of Toronto.

I have heard Kevyn Adams say he is cognizant of this and does lean into it. Picking guys from Canada close to Buffalo is smart. It cannot be the only criteria, but it needs to be recognized. But I think Buffalo gets this 100%.

Reactions: Dingo44

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The HST would be on purchases. Not a huge factor. You don't add your income tax rate to the sales tax rate to produce a tax rate.

The top marginal income tax rate is 53.53%, that is what matters.

A $7 M contract would leave someone with $3.3 M after tax. Ridiculous. I know. There are ways to limit that tax based on days residing in Canada. NY State would be $3.6 M. Slight advantage but likely mitigated with tax planning. No tax states like Florida will kill Buffalo too. But Canada, especially Toronto, will have way more places to make money off the ice.

But it is very true that proximity matters. Buffalo is a great place to play because you are close to Southern Ontario and SW Ontario, and not everybody can play for the Leafs or wants to because of scrutiny.

I know running into Owen Power's family that they love it in Buffalo. They have season tickets and go to lots of games. Skinner has said the same thing. Josh Bloom's father told me same thing. They were super happy to be picked by the Sabres because the family was just west of Toronto.

I have heard Kevyn Adams say he is cognizant of this and does lean into it. Picking guys from Canada close to Buffalo is smart. It cannot be the only criteria, but it needs to be recognized. But I think Buffalo gets this 100%.
HST is not just purchases

It's on everything
It's on services.

Everything you purchase, every service you use it's taxes at 13%

I am Canadian and you are going to tell me 13% is no big deal?? Please continue to tell me how I should calculate how I am taxed on everything from alcohol to gas to getting my grass cut as no big deal.

If it's no big deal then give up 13% of your pay to tax that didn't exist 40 years ago.

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
Where are you getting these crazy tax rate numbers?

NYS income tax is 11% on income over $25mil and 7% on income $1mil or less.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Win.

Win then this team will stop being in the red and you’ll see building improvements around the org as well.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
HST is not just purchases

It's on everything
It's on services.

Everything you purchase, every service you use it's taxes at 13%

I am Canadian and you are going to tell me 13% is no big deal?? Please continue to tell me how I should calculate how I am taxed on everything from alcohol to gas to getting my grass cut as no big deal.

If it's no big deal then give up 13% of your pay to tax that didn't exist 40 years ago.
I know. I live in Canada too. Thanks. For starters, the HST replaced a series of taxes that were embedded in the price of goods. It is more transparent. In places like Ontario, it was "harmonized" (hence the name) with a provincial tax that already existed to get to 15%. The federal portion has since been reduced to 5%. Alberta has no sales tax, so it is just 5% total.

The biggest impact on the consumer was the tax now applied to more goods and services. So it was a hike. And it's also not like Buffalo doesn't have sales tax. It is just under five percentage points lower. Not insignificant, but not zero.

Also, the payment on the purchase of goods and services is not the same as an income tax. You are comparing apples and oranges, and adding them together (I have no idea where you get a 40% marginal rate) makes no sense for comparing income tax rates.

Income taxes are deducted so you pay that top 53.53% marginal rate no matter what. The HST only taxes what you spend, so clearly, it's not as big a deal, which is why I said that. That athlete netting $3.3 million on a $7 million salary is not spending all his money, and the HST does not apply to everything, such as groceries.

Where are you getting these crazy tax rate numbers?

NYS income tax is 11% on income over $25mil and 7% on income $1mil or less.
You don't pay federal tax in New York State. Sounds great. I was using the combined rate. Seems only fair if we use the combined federal/provincial rate in Ontario. Isn't the top federal marginal tax rate for the US 37% in 2024? There are multiple tax breaks in every jurisdiction, and a betting man would say US jurisdictions will have more. Trudeau also just hiked the inclusion rate for capital gains, but I don't think you can pay athletes in stock or someone would.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I know. I live in Canada too. Thanks. For starters, the HST replaced a series of taxes that were embedded in the price of goods. It is more transparent. In places like Ontario, it was "harmonized" (hence the name) with a provincial tax that already existed to get to 15%. The federal portion has since been reduced to 5%. Alberta has no sales tax, so it is just 5% total.

The biggest impact on the consumer was the tax now applied to more goods and services. So it was a hike. And it's also not like Buffalo doesn't have sales tax. It is just under five percentage points lower. Not insignificant, but not zero.

Also, the payment on the purchase of goods and services is not the same as an income tax. You are comparing apples and oranges, and adding them together (I have no idea where you get a 40% marginal rate) makes no sense for comparing income tax rates.

Income taxes are deducted so you pay that top 53.53% marginal rate no matter what. The HST only taxes what you spend, so clearly, it's not as big a deal, which is why I said that. That athlete netting $3.3 million on a $7 million salary is not spending all his money, and the HST does not apply to everything, such as groceries.

You don't pay federal tax in New York State. Sounds great. I was using the combined rate. Seems only fair if we use the combined federal/provincial rate in Ontario. Isn't the top federal marginal tax rate for the US 37% in 2024? There are multiple tax breaks in every jurisdiction, and a betting man would say US jurisdictions will have more. Trudeau also just hiked the inclusion rate for capital gains, but I don't think you can pay athletes in stock or someone would.
Every tax you pay on top of income tax is another tax added to income tax eating away your wages.

There is a reason Canadians are number one with the largest debt per person in the world.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Every tax you pay on top of income tax is another tax added to income tax eating away your wages.

There is a reason Canadians are number one with the largest debt per person in the world.

Consumption taxes are vastly different from income taxes. It doesn't mean that consumption taxes wouldn't factor into a decision, but an income tax is automatic. Canada's national public debt is $1.45 trillion. US national debt is $34. trillion. Even. on a per capita basis, US debt is much higher.

I will make no excuses for Trudeau's ridiculous spending that has exploded the debt and created major deficits, but the US is well ahead of Canada. That is a fact.

https://www.wsj.com/politics/policy/will-debt-sink-the-american-empire-8459096b

In fairness, America does a lot for the world and helps a lot of countries with military protection and foreign aid. It is a leader and that costs. The world should be more grateful, if you ask me.

Now if you are talking about personal debt, Canada's is too high and a product of some really bad housing policy that has created a shortage and affordability issues.

None of this is relevant to elite hockey players who are going to be mostly focused on income tax which has the greatest impact on their wealth. And this is why Sunbelt teams are able to get so many guys, at least partially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad