Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Chychrun is moved to Philly we're going to hate the return, as it's likely going to involve paying real assets for Laughton and then dumping Joseph for no reason, even though they are fairly similar players.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Not sure how easy it is to actually prove that.

Joseph was exactly what he was supposed to be before getting injured last season, and noticeably worse the second half after he returned. If the Sens move him because of "dressing room issues", so be it. But there are far bigger issues on the ice than swapping 3rd line players will correct and there are far better options than Scott Laughton if swapping 3rd liners would fix everything.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson
Oct 10, 2010
If Chychrun is moved to Philly we're going to hate the return, as it's likely going to involve paying real assets for Laughton and then dumping Joseph for no reason, even though they are fairly similar players.
They have some solid pieces.

Frost, Farabee, Cates, Travis, Bonk etc they have multiple 1sts and 2nds coming up within the next couple years - Laughton should be a big pass unless they pay +++

One downside dealing with Philly is that they don’t got cap space to absorb Chychrun so they’ll be sending $ back.

Have we actually been linked to Laughton?
Dorion running the show yes, haven’t seen him linked with Staios in charge but could be wrong.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Was traded for their 2nd cup for Paul.

But yeah, the Laughton fascination is a strange one to me

If we’re moving Joseph it better be to create cap space to bring in a difference maker somewhere, not an older version of Joseph, who is one of the actual good pieces for the team.
That’s my sentiments exactly. If it creates cap space and/or assets to get a really good RD (or goalie maybe), then sure. But moving him to replace him with another 3rd liner doesn’t add that much imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure how easy it is to actually prove that.

Joseph was exactly what he was supposed to be before getting injured last season, and noticeably worse the second half after he returned. If the Sens move him because of "dressing room issues", so be it. But there are far bigger issues on the ice than swapping 3rd line players will correct and there are far better options than Scott Laughton if swapping 3rd liners would fix everything.
I am not pushing the trade. Just answering the question with my opinion. I posted exactly 1 word on the topic. I need to be told how great he is because of that. Cool.

So we have to prove things now lol.

I stand by the opinion that Laughton is a hiqher IQ player than Joseph. But you can prove me wrong if you like. I also think they are very different players and can offer different things on and off the ice. I do not know of any off ice issues with Joseph other than the one game DJ held him out. Now we move to swapping 3rd liners and the expected outcome.. none of which I commented on.. As I said they are different players so they are difficult to compare in isolation, and I do not know what to expect. I think the needle gets moved with adding another veteran for intangibles that can help the group .. I think they did say they wanted to do that..... Now I have no idea why they want to move Joseph to accomplish that if in fact that is what is at play..

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondercarrot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They have some solid pieces.

Frost, Farabee, Cates, Travis etc they have multiple 1sts in the next couple years Laughton should be a big pass unless they pay +++

One downside dealing with Philly is that they don’t got cap space to absorb Chychrun so they’ll be sending $ back.

They have about 7M in space with only 2 players to sign once Ellis' 6.25M goes on LTIR.

They could take on Chychrun without sending any salary back.

I could also see Johansen and/or Atkinson being bought out to open up additional room if they want to add some help at forward.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11
Oct 10, 2010
They have about 7M in space with only 2 players to sign once Ellis' 6.25M goes on LTIR.

They could take on Chychrun without sending any salary back.

I could also see Johansen and/or Atkinson being bought out to open up additional room if they want to add some help at forward.
Good call my bad Philly has tones of assets to make a trade I like them as a trading partner as long as we don’t do something silly like you mentioned.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am not pushing the trade. Just answering the question with my opinion. I posted exactly 1 word on the topic. I need to be told how great he is because of that. Cool.

So we have to prove things now lol.

I stand by the opinion that Laughton is a hiqher IQ player than Joseph. But you can prove me wrong if you like. I also think they are very different players and can offer different things on and off the ice. I do not know of any off ice issues with Joseph other than the one game DJ held him out. Now we move to swapping 3rd liners and the expected outcome.. none of which I commented on.. As I said they are different players so they are difficult to compare in isolation, and I do not know what to expect. I think the needle gets moved with adding another veteran for intangibles that can help the group .. I think they did say they wanted to do that..... Now I have no idea why they want to move Joseph to accomplish that if in fact that is what is at play..
Laughton is age 30 and has 2 seasons remaining on his contract at an AAV of $3M per. We might be able to fit him in salary wise if we traded a draft pick for him but something else would have to give, possibly the quality level of our next new RD via trade or UFA signing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
His value isn't a second ffs. It's min a late first plus decent prospect. We'll get more then Debrindicat

I remember thinking Connor Brown was going to return a late 1st too.

Was coming off a 50P/82GP season on a bad team while providing excellent two-way play, and like Chychrun he had a low cap hit for the value he provided.

We only got a 2nd for him. Maybe we get a couple 2nds for Chychrun, but I'm expecting a 2nd+3rd if traded for picks, but I think he'll be dealt in a player-for-player deal.

If we wanted a 1st+ for him we would have had to deal him at the deadline, maybe with some retention. We didn't do that for some reason and squandered his value as a rental, so now we're looking at a lower return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad