Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why not? What are we doing here if not worrying about things that it's not our job to worry about?

We're a long way away from blind trust in management. If one Dorion got in the GM's chair, who's to say another couldn't?
As a fan I was there day one jacked up about having debrincat. Sorry.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
To Boston: Chychrun LD, Korpisalo G & Joseph LW/RW ($11.6 mil out)
To Ottawa: Ullmark G & DeBrusk LW (signed $6.6 mil X 6 yrs) - ($11.6 mil in)

Out: Kubalik LW, Katchouk LW, Brannstrom LD, Joseph LW, Korpisalo G & Chychrun LD
In: Ostapchuk LW, DeBrusk LW, Kleven LD & Ullmark G

Tkachuk $8.2 - Stutzle $8.3 - Giroux $6.5 = $23 ... Tkachuk left draws/Giroux right draws
DeBrusk $6.6 - Norris $8 - Batherson $5 = $19.6 ... Norris L/R draws
Ostapchuk $1 - Greig $1 - Pinto ($6 mil X 6 yrs) = $8 ... Ostapchuk left draws/Pinto right draws
Kelly $1 - Kastelic $1 - MacEwan $1 = $3 = $53.6 ... Kelly left draws/Kastelic right draws

Chabot $8 - Zub $4.6 = $12.6
Sanderson $8 - JBD $1 = $9
Kleven $1 - Hamonic $1 = $2 = $23.6 mil

Ullmark -$5 Forsberg $2.735 = $7.735 mil

Forwards $53.6 + Defence $23.6 + Goalies $7.735 + Dead Cap $.625 = $85.56 mil approx. (actually less than this)

- There should be enough left over as they approach the trade deadline to add a top 4 RD at a time where their salary might be affordable for the remainder of the season. We should be able to get 40 to 50 games out of Hamonic before the trade deadline & they should have a couple of RD in Belleville who could also get a few games in to help out here & there.
That would be great. Debrusk is awesome.

Reactions: aragorn

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I’m not sure Boston does this deal. I’d think Boston will focus on adding centers.
Agreed, I don't see why they would. Especially since I dont think Debrusk will cost that much.

If he hits FA I would love to add him but could definitely see him getting way overpaid

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Thought I might reply to a suggestion that fans should not worry about the term of contracts, but then decided it wasn’t worth responding. LOL.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Agreed, I don't see why they would. Especially since I dont think Debrusk will cost that much.

If he hits FA I would love to add him but could definitely see him getting way overpaid
My thoughts were if Boston has some trade capital to offer (e.g., Ullmark), they would most likely like to leverage that into a center which is their greatest need.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My thoughts were if Boston has some trade capital to offer (e.g., Ullmark), they would most likely like to leverage that into a center which is their greatest need.

You have to think that Ulmark is a critical asset for their re-tool, and there are about 20 teams that could use an upgrade in net.

To Boston: Chychrun LD, Korpisalo G & Joseph LW/RW ($11.6 mil out)
To Ottawa: Ullmark G & DeBrusk LW (signed $6.6 mil X 6 yrs) - ($11.6 mil in)

It's the same amount of salary and they get worse?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You have to think that Ulmark is a critical asset for their re-tool, and there are about 20 teams that could use an upgrade in net

I wonder if the current state of goalies might upend the traditional market value. This year, we have potentially 3 guys that are clearly starters in the second half of their careers that could hit the market,

21-22 Darcy Kuemper Connor Timmins, 1st-2022, 3rd-2024
18-19 Cam Talbot Anthony Stolarz
17-18 Petr Mrazek 3rd-2018, 3rd-2019*
16-17 Frederik Andersen 1st-2016 (#30 OVR), 2nd-2017
15-16 Martin Jones 1st-2016 (#29 OVR), Sean Kuraly
15-16 Robin Lehner 1st-205 (#21 OVR)
14-15 Dubnyk 3rd- 2015
13-14 Cory Schneider 1st-2013 (#9 OVR)
12-13 Bishop Conacher, 4th 2013
12-13 Steve Mason 3rd-2013, Michael Leighton
12-13 Sergei Bobrovsky 2nd-2012, 4th-2012, 4th-2013
11-12 Semyon Varlamov 1st-2012 (#11 OVR), 2nd-2012
11-12 Ilya Brygalov's Rights 3rd-2012, Matt Clarkson
10-11 Craig Anderson Brian Elliott

Nobody is giving up a Scheider or Varlamov like package, since those guys were in their mid 20s as opposed to 30s but after that, you see a lot of late first + deals.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As a fan I was there day one jacked up about having debrincat. Sorry.
I mean, I was pretty excited until it became clear Dorion didn't make sure he was open to extending before making the trade.

DeBrincat is a legit top 6 forward that was young enough to fit the long term needs of the team, had we been able to extend him, the price was fair, and while there's plenty of room to debate whether he was the type of piece we needed, there shouldn't be much debate that he is a good scoring winger that can be part of a strong team. If he'd extended immediately and put up the season he did with Det for us (i.e. wasn't minus 1 million...) then we're probably not complaining nearly as much about that trade.

That said, he was an awful fit (potentially because he had one foot out the door all season)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean, I was pretty excited until it became clear Dorion didn't make sure he was open to extending before making the trade.

DeBrincat is a legit top 6 forward that was young enough to fit the long term needs of the team, had we been able to extend him, the price was fair, and while there's plenty of room to debate whether he was the type of piece we needed, there shouldn't be much debate that he is a good scoring winger that can be part of a strong team. If he'd extended immediately and put up the season he did with Det for us (i.e. wasn't minus 1 million...) then we're probably not complaining nearly as much about that trade.

That said, he was an awful fit (potentially because he had one foot out the door all season)
Your first paragraph is my point. As a fan. There is trust that GM is making moves with some sort of plan. When it was clear that he never even knew if debrincat wanted to sign. Found out mid season he wasn’t going to sign. Then yeah. It sucked.

If we went out and traded for mcdavid I would be stoked. If I found out later that our GM knew mcdavid said like “oh if I go to Ottawa I’m immediately demanding a trade” I would be like “why the f*** did the GM do that”. Doesn’t negate that I was stoked when the trade was made.

thank you for not being a historical revisionist
I ain’t that guy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Garrioch is still our A-GM. His most recent article was a soft disclosure meant to manufacture consent against an Ullmark trade. As in, the narrative they want is "Staios would be dumb to give up assets for Ullmark", instead of "Staios failed to get Ullmark".

I don't believe Chychrun+1st+another pick is the actual price in theory. But I think whatever the price is, they don't want to pay it. Even if Ullmark ends up being traded for less to a different team, they want the narrative to be that it would have cost a stupid amount for Ottawa to acquire him. They want the fans to think that Ottawa didn't fail, they were too smart to do it.

It will be similar to the deadline, where people expected big things, and nothing transpired.

We will end up getting a veteran pro with 1-2 years term who is on his way out with his current team. Something like Grubauer (2 years 5.9M) for Forsberg (1 year 2.75M). Or Jack Campbell (3 years 5.0M) for Korpisalo (4 years 4.0M).

Here is my revised "you're here forever" Senators offseason with corresponding ratings for how accurate the fake rumours are from my fake sources. Feel free to use these for your fake Senators rumours Twitter account.
  • Goalie: Forsberg for Grubauer FIM22
  • Chychrun: Going to Columbus for Boone Jenner. FIM22
  • Sanderson: Not getting traded this offseason. FIM24
  • RHD: Tanev won't sign here (re: Canal failures), Tyler Myers is a big fan of the current projected changes to Lansdowne, FIM21.5.
I didn't call Travis Green as coach, but I would appreciate if you guys can pretend that I called it in a cryptic fake rumor post to lend credibility to my status as a fake insider.

Reactions: NB613

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Garrioch is still our A-GM. His most recent article was a soft disclosure meant to manufacture consent against an Ullmark trade. As in, the narrative they want is "Staios would be dumb to give up assets for Ullmark", instead of "Staios failed to get Ullmark".

I don't believe Chychrun+1st+another pick is the actual price in theory. But I think whatever the price is, they don't want to pay it. Even if Ullmark ends up being traded for less to a different team, they want the narrative to be that it would have cost a stupid amount for Ottawa to acquire him. They want the fans to think that Ottawa didn't fail, they were too smart to do it.

It will be similar to the deadline, where people expected big things, and nothing transpired.

We will end up getting a veteran pro with 1-2 years term who is on his way out with his current team. Something like Grubauer (2 years 5.9M) for Forsberg (1 year 2.75M). Or Jack Campbell (3 years 5.0M) for Korpisalo (4 years 4.0M).

Here is my revised "you're here forever" Senators offseason with corresponding ratings for how accurate the fake rumours are from my fake sources. Feel free to use these for your fake Senators rumours Twitter account.
  • Goalie: Forsberg for Grubauer FIM22
  • Chychrun: Going to Columbus for Boone Jenner. FIM22
  • Sanderson: Not getting traded this offseason. FIM24
  • RHD: Tanev won't sign here (re: Canal failures), Tyler Myers is a big fan of the current projected changes to Lansdowne, FIM21.5.
I didn't call Travis Green as coach, but I would appreciate if you guys can pretend that I called it in a cryptic fake rumor post to lend credibility to my status as a fake insider.
It could also just be that Boston isn’t interested in Chychrun. They have Lindholm on the left and Lohrei looked great in the playoffs. So they can ask for all of that because they don’t love what Ottawa has to offer.

But your theory makes sense to me. Mid season Bruce was on the “Ottawa had no real talks about Ullmark” and “they will get a back-up to replace Forsberg” train. I don’t think we are interested in the term/money it would require to keep Ullmark.

Not the best fit either way.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
25% of Korpi's salary Retained + Boston 1st for Ulmark (who has the hallmark of being yet another victim of the goalie graveyard to Ottawa).

Boston probably still says no, because that's still $3M per for 4 more years of Korpi. Forsberg is likely easier to dispose in a trade, but then Ottawa needs a starter who makes closer to what Korpisalo makes (cuz there is still a cap and your backup G Korpi costs $4M/eating away money from a legit starter) and that's not much of an upgrade.

Ottawa needs a goalie, but I think it's prudent whichever goalie they have on net have adequate protection from players in front of him. So getting a few defensive minded rearguards, including a top-4 RD, is of paramount importance to state the obvious.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It could also just be that Boston isn’t interested in Chychrun. They have Lindholm on the left and Lohrei looked great in the playoffs. So they can ask for all of that because they don’t love what Ottawa has to offer.

But your theory makes sense to me. Mid season Bruce was on the “Ottawa had no real talks about Ullmark” and “they will get a back-up to replace Forsberg” train. I don’t think we are interested in the term/money it would require to keep Ullmark.

Not the best fit either way.

I think that if Boston isn't interested in Chychrun, his name wouldn't be in trade rumors with them at all.

I say this because it isn't like Ottawa has to send Chychrun to Boston. They could send Chychrun to a different team for picks and use those to build a package for Ullmark.

The past few weeks, Bruce's narrative has been that Ottawa will kick tires on Ullmark. Now he leaks speculation from a LEAGUE EXECUTIVE that he price for Ullmark is ridiculous.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think that if Boston isn't interested in Chychrun, his name wouldn't be in trade rumors with them at all.

I say this because it isn't like Ottawa has to send Chychrun to Boston. They could send Chychrun to a different team for picks and use those to build a package for Ullmark.

The past few weeks, Bruce's narrative has been that Ottawa will kick tires on Ullmark. Now he leaks speculation from a LEAGUE EXECUTIVE that he price for Ullmark is ridiculous.
Does Boston want picks though? I doubt it. You’ve got Friedman talking about Necas and a deal with Carolina, and while Boston likely has to add there, if there are other teams that both want Ullmark and have more desirable pieces than Chychrun in Boston’s eyes, there’s really not much reason to make a trade with Ottawa unless we overpay.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I wonder how Travis Green being our coach might affect the possibility of a Jacob Markstrom trade.

He played a few seasons for Green. He was good but Vancouver failed to have any real success. Maybe Markstrom liked playing for Green, or Green liked Markstrom as a goalie?

Markstrom would be a good bridge option to Sogaard or someone else, pending the trade cost.

Does Boston want picks though? I doubt it. You’ve got Friedman talking about Necas and a deal with Carolina, and while Boston likely has to add there, if there are other teams that both want Ullmark and have more desirable pieces than Chychrun in Boston’s eyes, there’s really not much reason to make a trade with Ottawa unless we overpay.

I agree that if they don't want Chychrun, it would complicate things - but the point is that if Ullmark to Ottawa is a perfect fit and the only hurdle to overcome is Boston not wanting Chychrun, there are ways around that like 3-way trades. I am not saying a 3-way trade is simple, but it is possible.

Like I said in the post, I don't think Chychrun's name would keep coming up if Boston didn't want him. We would hear something about Chychrun similar to what Garrioch wrote about Boston and Korpisalo, that they "politely declined any package with Korpisalo". Instead, we keep hearing speculation or soft-rumors about Chychrun for Ullmark.

Reactions: bicboi64

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I wonder how Travis Green being our coach might affect the possibility of a Jacob Markstrom trade.

He played a few seasons for Green. He was good but Vancouver failed to have any real success. Maybe Markstrom liked playing for Green, or Green liked Markstrom as a goalie?

Markstrom would be a good bridge option to Sogaard or someone else, pending the trade cost.

I agree that if they don't want Chychrun, it would complicate things - but the point is that if Ullmark to Ottawa is a perfect fit and the only hurdle to overcome is Boston not wanting Chychrun, there are ways around that like 3-way trades. I am not saying a 3-way trade is simple, but it is possible.

Like I said in the post, I don't think Chychrun's name would keep coming up if Boston didn't want him. We would hear something about Chychrun similar to what Garrioch wrote about Boston and Korpisalo, that they "politely declined any package with Korpisalo". Instead, we keep hearing speculation or soft-rumors about Chychrun for Ullmark.
Ottawa could be on Ullmark’s 15 team no trade list as well.
Bruce could be right , Boston is asking a lot for him, no idea.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Your first paragraph is my point. As a fan. There is trust that GM is making moves with some sort of plan. When it was clear that he never even knew if debrincat wanted to sign. Found out mid season he wasn’t going to sign. Then yeah. It sucked.
When Chicago didn’t allow Dorion to talk to Debrincat & his camp about an extension, the red flag should have appeared right away and Dorion should have walked away. He shouldn’t have put the organization in a position that they needed to find out mid season as you suggest that Debrincat wasn’t signing. There’s always the option of walking away when it makes sense to do that and the potential for a one year rental was too high for a team that was still rebuilding.

Fans definitely have expectations about player contracts. Just look at how much we talk about this in here. And, fans pay for tickets & the product on the ice. It’s bizarre (an understated and polite way of saying this) to suggest otherwise. Not going to get into a back & forth on this.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When Chicago didn’t allow Dorion to talk to Debrincat & his camp about an extension, the red flag should have appeared right away and Dorion should have walked away. He shouldn’t have put the organization in a position that they needed to find out mid season as you suggest that Debrincat wasn’t signing. There’s always the option of walking away when it makes sense to do that and the potential for a one year rental was too high for a team that was still rebuilding.

Fans definitely have expectations about player contracts. Just look at how much we talk about this in here. And, fans pay for tickets & the product on the ice. It’s bizarre (an understated and polite way of saying this) to suggest otherwise. Not going to get into a back & forth on this.
Absolutely Dorion f***ed up. Can’t deny that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad