Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The only way we move Korpisalo is by taking back another bad or worse contract like Dubois.

Even attaching an asset to him probably won't work. What kind of asset can you attach to 4x4M?

Retention doesn't work either because of the term.

Ask yourself, if he signed 1 year with Ottawa and was a UFA, what kind of contract would he get this off season? Probably 1-2 years max at 1.5M would be super optimistic based on how few options there are in goal.

It would have to be Korpisalo for another bad contract like Dubois or Karlsson.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The only way we move Korpisalo is by taking back another bad or worse contract like Dubois.

Even attaching an asset to him probably won't work. What kind of asset can you attach to 4x4M?

Ask yourself, if he signed 1 year with Ottawa and was a UFA, what kind of contract would he get this off season? Probably 1-2 years max at 1.5M would be super optimistic based on how few options there are in goal.

I agree with the premise of your post, but there might be a trade available where teams trade us a goalie with pretty bad numbers (better than Korpisalo), but for cap savings.

Anaheim, Seattle, and Washington can trade us Gibson, Grubrauer, or Keumper who have a higher caphit, but a year less term. Korpisalo might be valuable to them in case they want to spend less salary (assuming their management decides to become super cheap). Ottawa only says yes because they'd hope the goalie they acquire excels here under a change in scenery.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I agree with the premise of your post, but there might be a trade available where teams trade us a goalie with pretty bad numbers (better than Korpisalo), but for cap savings.

Anaheim, Seattle, and Washington can trade us Gibson, Grubrauer, or Keumper who have a higher caphit, but a year less term. Korpisalo might be valuable to them in case they want to spend less salary (assuming their management decides to become super cheap). Ottawa only says yes because they'd hope the goalie they acquire excels here under a change in scenery.

Something like that might be a good idea if we completely strike out on the trade market for a goalie.

I think that we are going to add a goalie so we will be in the same position as those teams. We won't to shed term in exchange for a higher cap hit..

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Sure it will, in two years the Cap will be 92 mil (projected), it just means instead of a 6 mil RHD, we target a 4.5 mil guy.

Here's an example

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux (extended at 5m for 2025)
Greig (ext @ 4 mil in 25)- Pinto 5x5 - Batherson
Ostapchuk-Norris-Joseph
Kelly (@.925 in 25) - Kastelic (@900 in 25) - MacEwen or callup

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Tanev or other @4.5
Kleven-JBD (extended at 1 mil in 25)

Saros (ext @ 8 in 25)
Korpisalo

Ext :Hamonic (equivalent of callup in 25), Katchouk or equivalent at 900k

That's 87.4 mil in 2024-25 and 90.8 in 2025-26. We can buyout Korpisalo to make a bit more room, we can probably get Greig cheaper than my conservative estimate as well.

Buying out Korpisalo and replacing him with a ~1 mil backup would open up ~2.7 mil next year and ~2.1 the year after,

It all comes down to what you value. If you think having a 6 mil RHD instead of a 4.5 mil guy will win you more games than Saros instead of a cheep UFA goalie and what's in the system, then you go with that.

Any way you look at it, we're going to have to sacrifice something. If you're more comfortable running with unproven goalies, then so be it, but there is definitely room to get a 6 mil goalie if that's what the team thinks is the most important hole to fill.

Yeah I value a legitimate RHD easily over Saros at 8 mil.

Not even a debate for me

that bottom 6 you have listed so nowhere near playoff-worthy, we have to revamp the forward group as well

Reactions: NB613 and senswon

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

the goalies market is interesting, there were some truly bad starters this year.

Gibson, Gustavson, Georgiev, Samsonov, Merzliken and Vanecek were all pretty brutal not to mention Campbell who I guess started the year as a starter, Then there were guys like Raanta who seemed to fall off a cliff compared to prior years.

Colorado will be interesting to watch imo, I think they have about 15 mil in cap space, but they also have about 10 roster spots to fill, so they might need to go for a cheap goalie option (the term would scare them away from Korpisalo, I'm guessing they try to do what LAK did).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Murray Edwards is probably one of the most meddlesome owners in the league. If CGY is looking to 'compete' and gather as many pieces as they can to be a bubble team, I think we can make a Chychrun trade work with them.

Chychrun and one of our 4ths for Markstrom. If we can get one of Kuzmenko or Mangiapane, we can always move them later on as well, but both teams seem like good trade partners.

I don't think Chychrun is re-signing in Calgary, but maybe we trade Chychrun to a different team and use his assets to acquire a goalie, whether Markstrom or someone else.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I value a legitimate RHD easily over Saros at 8 mil.

Not even a debate for me
You're going to have to elaborate on what you mean by legitimate RHD, I offered a solution with 4.5 mil dedicated to a RHD, so on the trade market that might include guys like Manson, Marino, Carlo, Jensen, Gudas, and Larsson. Might be enough to sign some of the UFA, depending on term, give an extra year or two to a guy like Tanev and maybe he considers it, Dumba looked better in Tbay and could probably be had in that range. Maybe Carrier?

The reality is guys who can command more than 4.5 will also have more suitors, and may just opt not to sign here, so while you may value Pesce at whatever it takes over a legit goalie, he might not have any interest in coming here.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
the goalies market is interesting, there were some truly bad starters this year.

Gibson, Gustavson, Georgiev, Samsonov, Merzliken and Vanecek were all pretty brutal not to mention Campbell who I guess started the year as a starter, Then there were guys like Raanta who seemed to fall off a cliff compared to prior years.

Colorado will be interesting to watch imo, I think they have about 15 mil in cap space, but they also have about 10 roster spots to fill, so they might need to go for a cheap goalie option (the term would scare them away from Korpisalo, I'm guessing they try to do what LAK did).
Hey Mick,

60 CHL teams. Some 60 elite sources in the USA (USHL, NCAA). Some 60 elite sources in Europe (the red state, Czechia, Sweden, Finland, etc.)

So 180 teams, all having one goalie that is 19, 20 and a second that is 17, 18. On average!

the NHL needs 64 goalies, and needs them in 15 years. In, at 22, as long as uninjured, out at 37.

So, 4.5 goalies a year, give or take. 2.5 should be quality number ones. 2 should be quality number twos.

4.5 goalies a year, is 9 goalies every 2 years. The pool should be 180 goalies.. Why is the Hockey world unable to produce 5% quality?

RHD is another difficult position: 180 teams, ~ 1 RHD per team per age (17,18, 19 and 20). The NHL needs 1 RHD per team, per 4 years, thus the NHL needs 9 RHDs. So the hockey world needs to produce about 5%. Again, seemingly unable to!

LHD are needed at the same 9 a year. The supply is about 220-240. And so 4%. And it seems to meet it with little problems. Ditto for LW, RW and C.

Why do you think this crazy shortage in RHD and goalies?

Senovision

May 23, 2011
62.8% of the current NHL-rostered players shoot left.Sep 19, 2022.
There are more players shoot left than right, almost 2/3 of Nhl players, therefore more left shot players are available than right handed shooters.

Reactions: h2owned

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
62.8% of the current NHL-rostered players shoot left.Sep 19, 2022.
There are more players shoot left than right, therefore more left shot players are available than right handed shooters.
Add to that talent is on a bell curve, so if your taking the top 64 goalies in the world, you're likely further along on that curves tail than with the forwards, and it's more noticeable when a goalie struggles than when a 4th liner isn't up to snuff.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Add to that talent is on a bell curve, so if your taking the top 64 goalies in the world, you're likely further along on that curves tail than with the forwards, and it's more noticeable when a goalie struggles than when a 4th liner isn't up to snuff.
I was commenting on Beeches post # 8462 about the shortage of right handed defensemen.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
As per main trade board, canucks are looking to buyout mikheyev.

Would anyone do a trade like this below?

Mikheyev (2 years @4.75m)
Nikita Tolopilo, G (1 year @ 950k then RFA)

For Forsberg (1 year, 2.75M)

Lands us a decent goalie prospect, cuts us free of forsberg and we roll mikheyev on the 3rd line and PK. Sens take on about $3M in cap. Canucks save money and term on the buyout.

Brady - Norris - bath
Greig - Stu - Giroux
Mikheyev - Pinto - Joseph
KKK
ZacMac

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Lands us a decent goalie prospect, cuts us free of forsberg and we roll mikheyev on the 3rd line and PK. Sens take on about $3M in cap. Canucks save money and term on the buyout.

Brady - Norris - bath
Greig - Stu - Giroux
KKK
ZacMac
No, but I would consider a deal in which we are paid to take on Mikheyev IF we are going to trade Joseph. I might still need a bit of retention, though, and it would be contingent on a few other factors too

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
No, but I would consider a deal in which we are paid to take on Mikheyev IF we are going to trade Joseph. I might still need a bit of retention, though, and it would be contingent on a few other factors too
My thinking here is basically that this deal gets us that top 9 kubalik replacement with ilya (who is overpaid by about 2M) and nets us another goalie future who has a bit of promise. Forsbergs overpayment in 2024 turns into mikheyevs overpayment in 2025 (when i think we're a bit better for cap space).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Brady - Norris - bath
Greig - Stu - Giroux
KKK
ZacMac
Doesn’t address any of our immediate needs. So forget it. Just focus on those.

1 We need to swap forsberg for a goaltender equal or superior to korpisalo.

2 We need to add one or two RHD

3 We need to add a veteran middle 6 forward

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

1 is impossible, 2 isn't precluded by what I'm proposing, 3 is exactly what my proposal addresses.

4 - Aren't you the guy in love with kastelic for no reason?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Aren't you the guy in love with kastelic for no reason?
No that’s not me. I’m the guy who likes kastelic cause he’s our biggest strongest player on a good contract, is young and looked great last 20 games. Seems like a great guy too who wants to work his butt off to improve.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
No that’s not me. I’m the guy who likes kastelic cause he’s our biggest strongest player on a good contract, is young and looked great last 20 games. Seems like a great guy too who wants to work his butt off to improve.
I'm just playing with you. I don't mind Kastelic, but he was real shit for a big part of last season. Kind of like Mikheyev. I asusme both will bounce back.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Oh boy, I sure hope we can do better than that.

Considering their save % was identical, it seems like we don't even need to move Forsberg if the goal is to equal the Korpse. Like 2 peas in a pod.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
My thinking here is basically that this deal gets us that top 9 kubalik replacement with ilya (who is overpaid by about 2M) and nets us another goalie future who has a bit of promise. Forsbergs overpayment in 2024 turns into mikheyevs overpayment in 2025 (when i think we're a bit better for cap space).
I get it and again, not opposed to it, just needs to be under certain circumstances imo.

That said, there is no need to replace Kubalik. Chartier, Crookshank, Jarventie, Katchouk, MacEwen, and maybe even Imama can give us as much as Kubalik did… and I dont think theres a single NHLer on that list.

If Kubalik returns, it better be on a league min, high AHL salary two way deal. He may have some value at the NHL level, but not in a way that we need

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I get it and again, not opposed to it, just needs to be under certain circumstances imo.

That said, there is no need to replace Kubalik. Chartier, Crookshank, Jarventie, Katchouk, MacEwen, and maybe even Imama can give us as much as Kubalik did… and I dont think theres a single NHLer on that list.

If Kubalik returns, it better be on a league min, high AHL salary two way deal. He may have some value at the NHL level, but not in a way that we need

With players like Kubalik and Brannstrom, if they are going to take league minimum deals, they would not sign here. If they are going to take league minimum, they might as well go to a new situation where there is a chance they could earn a regular spot on the roster.

Both seem like players who will end up in Europe or Russia within a few years because they can be stars in a top pro league where the compensation and lifestyle is better than the AHL.

Reactions: Relapsing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad