Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's hard to be optimistic with how often we've been bent over in the past... but I'm holding out faith that our lack of success had a lot to do with leverage factors that may no longer exist, like excessively limiting trade clauses, unwillingness to take back contracts, and acting last minute instead of with some wiggle room.
The same likely applies with Chychrun unfortunately

No team is going to trade for a guy like him without a contract extention agreed upon in principal, unless it's for a very clear rental price, and if we're shopping him to teams with an extention, that's probably a list of 1/2 teams that Chychrun will agree to that will have all the leverage. They will need to do lots of groundwork prior to the draft with teams to have an agreement in place for July 1st a week after the draft, and Chychrun would have to be willing to actually go there. I don't like the odds of that happening.

Players have all the leverage nowadays in these situations, even without NTC's. If the team wants maximum value, they're out of luck unless the player is willing to sign with whoever the current team wants.

If we're willing to just trade him as a rental, I'd expect a ~30th + 3rd type return

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Why would Staois do that? I think Sens are looking for stability and not recurring problems

Taking a page out of the Tim Murray “how to never GM in the NHL again” playbook

You have to consider the following for any Ullmark trade:
  1. There are very few goalies available on the market.
  2. The team NEEDS to make the playoffs.
  3. If the team is in a position to trade an unsigned Ullmark at the deadline, that means they failed to make the playoffs, and they will have much bigger problems than losing assets on a 1 year rental goalie.
Add in that Chychrun was the one speculated to go for Ullmark, and he is a pending UFA as well. It makes sense to swap one pending UFA for another who is in a position of greater need.

Who else is out there? Markstrom? Gustavsson? There aren't a lot of reasonable options. This season is very important. Giroux is a UFA. I doubt Brady is going to want to stay if we're a shit show again. Even know this team is not a strong team, they are in an awkward spot where they have to balance the need to win now (which basically means make the playoffs and don't get embarrassed), with fixing the poor foundation that Dorion left in terms of ridding the team of picks/prospects.

Odds are, if we win, Ullmark signs here in January. That's usually how it works out. If he doesn't re-sign but we make the playoffs and go on a run because of his goaltending, when the lesser options were questionable at best, that is well worth burning what would be a mid or late first in return for Chychrun (or giving them the Boston pick). If we stink, we'll recoup a lesser asset for him at the deadline and move on to much bigger problems anyways (Brady leveraging his NMC to ask out, Giroux possibly not re-signing, solar flares causing EMP like events, etc).

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I don't see a deal for a 1A goalie. Just won't happen.

How about instead Staios go pilfer Piero Greco from the Islanders. The guy has spent the last 6 years learning how to coach goalies from Mitch Korn...Mitch KORN!!

That would be a world class move.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The same likely applies with Chychrun unfortunately

No team is going to trade for a guy like him without a contract extention agreed upon in principal, unless it's for a very clear rental price, and if we're shopping him to teams with an extention, that's probably a list of 1/2 teams that Chychrun will agree to that will have all the leverage. They will need to do lots of groundwork prior to the draft with teams to have an agreement in place for July 1st a week after the draft, and Chychrun would have to be willing to actually go there. I don't like the odds of that happening.

Players have all the leverage nowadays in these situations, even without NTC's. If the team wants maximum value, they're out of luck unless the player is willing to sign with whoever the current team wants.

If we're willing to just trade him as a rental, I'd expect a ~30th + 3rd type return
Chychrun has one yr left on his contract, that is plenty of time for them to evaluate the player & determine whether to re-sign him or not, especially if he is traded for a guy with a similar contract who the other team is quite certain they will not re-sign. Ullmark G as an example is the first to come to mind, the salaries are close enough, both have one yr left on their present contracts & with the emergence of Swayman who will likely get a lot more money why wouldn't they move Ullmark & his $5 millin contract? We have heard this with other players that they are untradable & somehow they always seem to find a partner to trade them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chychrun has two yrs left on his contract, that is plenty of time for them to evaluate the player & determine whether to re-sign him or not, especially if he is traded for a guy with a similar contract who they are quite certain they will not re-sign. Ullmark Gas an example is the first to come to mind, the salaries are close enough, both have two yrs left on their present contracts & with the emergence of Swayman who will likely get a lot more money why wouldn't they move Ullmark & his $5 millin contract? We have heard this with other players that they are untradable & somehow they always seem to find a partner to trade them.
He's got 1 year left.

If a team is trading for him now, it's with the intention of keeping him. They will want a contract, no different than DBC with the wings.

If they aren't getting an extention, it's because he's choosing not to sign with them and ride the year to UFA, the same way DBC did with us, but actually as a UFA

Bruins are more than happy with Lohrei and Lindholm on their top 2 pairs on the left side, and McAvoy is going to be their #1PP guy with Lohrei as their #2.

They aren't untradeable. They are very tradable, to 1/2 specific teams at the players bequest.

Ullmark waiving to come to Ottawa isn't going to be happening regardless, that's the last place a goaltender heading into his UFA season wants to be playing.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's got 1 year left.

If a team is trading for him now, it's with the intention of keeping him. They will want a contract, no different than DBC with the wings.

If they aren't getting an extention, it's because he's choosing not to sign with them and ride the year to UFA, the same way DBC did with us, but actually as a UFA
I think a team like the Caps that needs a scorched earth rebuild might try to sign him just to keep the team competitive enough for Ovechkin to break the goal record. Might be able to pry Jensen, TVR, their 1st rounder this year or a few seconds from next year

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Chychrun has one yr left on his contract, that is plenty of time for them to evaluate the player & determine whether to re-sign him or not, especially if he is traded for a guy with a similar contract who the other team is quite certain they will not re-sign. Ullmark G as an example is the first to come to mind, the salaries are close enough, both have one yr left on their present contracts & with the emergence of Swayman who will likely get a lot more money why wouldn't they move Ullmark & his $5 millin contract? We have heard this with other players that they are untradable & somehow they always seem to find a partner to trade them.

The problem with trading Chychrun for Ullmark, other than the lack of extension for Ullmark that others have pointed out, is that we've now used Chychrun's money on Ullmark.

We now have 3 goalies at relatively high salaries and only 1 decent RD. If we can't get a top 4 RD (unlikely) for Chychrun I think we need to unload him for future assets and address RD by trading those assets in a package or by an UFA signing. IMO, it's imperative that we allocate Chychrun's salary to our RD situation in one way or another.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
N
I think a team like the Caps that needs a scorched earth rebuild might try to sign him just to keep the team competitive enough for Ovechkin to break the goal record. Might be able to pry Jensen, TVR, their 1st rounder this year or a few seconds from next year
If they are fine replacing Sandin with Chychrun after giving him that contract, they could.

Not sure where Chychrun fits on the left with Fehvery and Sandin and Carlsson on the right as their primary offensive guy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's got 1 year left.

If they aren't getting an extention, it's because he's choosing not to sign with them and ride the year to UFA, the same way DBC did with us
Yes, I fixed the yrs. I agree it would be preferable to have him signed, but not everyone is DBC, especially not Ullmark G whose home town is back in Sweden, not Detroit another NHL city, that is a big difference. Also Ullmark is getting $5 mil per season & 30 yrs old, his window is slowly closing & he was replaced with a younger goalie in Boston. Ottawa also has a reputation as being a good city to raise a family & Ullmark is married with children. The one question is going to be Korpisalo & whether they can move him out because I doubt they want to have $9 mil going to two goalies. I don't think they can come back with the same two goalies, but who would take Korpisalo with 4 yrs left on his contract & is moving Forsberg enough?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's got 1 year left.

Bruins are more than happy with Lohrei and Lindholm on their top 2 pairs on the left side, and McAvoy is going to be their #1PP guy with Lohrei as their #2.

They aren't untradeable. They are very tradable, to 1/2 specific teams at the players bequest.

Ullmark waiving to come to Ottawa isn't going to be happening regardless, that's the last place a goaltender heading into his UFA season wants to be playing.
I could see Ulmark waiving with an extension in place.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Can't imagine the Sens are going to be forking out 11+ million on their goaltending for the next 3 years
But surely, they aren't going to turn down an improvement to stick with 2 guys they already know for sure aren't part of the solution and are a problem needing to be solved. Tough spot with how hard it would be to move either.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Trading for good players has never really worked out for us. Players don't want to play here unless we are a contender. Giroux is the exception.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can't imagine the Sens are going to be forking out 11+ million on their goaltending for the next 3 years
Kind of have to consider our current goalie contracts as sunk costs. If we can get out of them (buyout, or trade?) then fine, but we can't just ignore goaltending because we're already spending there.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Probably an unpopular opinion, and I have dumped on him plenty this season, but what if Korpi had an off year? What if we could improve the D and at the same time give him a fighting chance? What if he improved his confidence and actually developed into our #1 goalie?

I think we need to give him another season to show us what he's made of. But we also need to improve our D and get some gritty bodies to help out.

Reactions: LiseL and Crosside

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Kind of have to consider our current goalie contracts as sunk costs. If we can get out of them (buyout, or trade?) then fine, but we can't just ignore goaltending because we're already spending there.
If Ullmark is willing to come here, we could definitely take a look, but the chances of that are so incredibly slim. What top of the line UFA to be is going to bypass it to come to Ottawa, I'd put that near 0

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Probably an unpopular opinion, and I have dumped on him plenty this season, but what if Korpi had an off year? What if we could improve the D and at the same time give him a fighting chance? What if he improved his confidence and actually developed into our #1 goalie?

I think we need to give him another season to show us what he's made of. But we also need to improve our D and get some gritty bodies to help out.
I mean, he's had a history of off seasons then....

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

His career shows that what we got this year is far more likely than the couple outlier good seasons he's had.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
I mean, he's had a history of off seasons then....
But if you look at it as a whole throughout his career so far, he's... average. And that is really all we need if we improve our defense. At least to make it to the playoffs. We'll for sure need better if we intend on going all the way. But at least it buys us time to develop the next #1.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Ullmark is willing to come here, we could definitely take a look, but the chances of that are so incredibly slim. What top of the line UFA to be is going to bypass it to come to Ottawa, I'd put that near 0
Kind of a different argument.

Would Ulmark consider coming here, apparently he wants to be in the east, but there's still competition for his services. I don't think Toronto could fit him under their budget, Boston Florida, Tampa, NYR, NYI all have their starters.

Maybe NJD, Philly, Penguins and Hurricanes would out bid us, but he might see potential in the lineup here and want to get in on the ground floor.

By no means is it something I'd bet on happening, but stranger things have happened.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
But if you look at it as a whole throughout his career so far, he's... average. And that is really all we need if we improve our defense. At least to make it to the playoffs. We'll for sure need better if we intend on going all the way. But at least it buys us time to develop the next #1.
Average is the new best in class.

• Haha
Reactions: atmx093

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad