GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Sucks to lose POJ for nothing but meh, he didn’t have any value. Hope he does well in St. Louis.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
What would be wrong with adding tank? It would be a one year deal, he would slot in with Geno and bunting and prob push rak up with sid.

That's a solid top six, and gives them another asset to trade to a contender at the deadline if it looks like they are going to miss the playoffs again.

Let everyone else battle it out in the bottom six. It's not like you have to play Hayes/Beau if they suck, Beau can be demoted and most of his cap hit goes with him and eller/acari can be traded for positive assets if any of poulin/poolparty/pomo/broz/gruden/ect somehow look better.

It's not like this team suddenly is flush with young nhl talent and at least as of now no trades have been made to bring anyone in so you gotta play someone. If the kids that are avail can't beat out washed up guys like Hayes, ahos, and the beauvilles of the NHL they shouldn't play. It's a low freaking bar.

It's literally day two of the actual off-season and everyone is losing their shit.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'll add this too, @IcedCapp . You call me not being a fan for wanting the team to do everything it can to win again ASAP (which is absurd btw).
I call the people who are willing to eat 5+ years of unnecessary futility just to watch the core play more, "non-fans".
They are Core-3 fans, not Pittsburgh Penguins fans. A real Pittsburgh Penguins fan wants the team to succeed. Top priority.
I specifically said I wasn’t gatekeeping your fandom. You’re a fan. I just don’t understand being a fan and your disdain for the Sid / Geno / Letang situation.

Reactions: Lustaf

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Gurglesons on HFBoards is a user who seems to stir up strong reactions among the forum's members. Here's a detailed explanation based on your description:

Characteristics:​

1. Accuracy: Gurglesons is frequently correct in his posts, whether these are predictions, analyses, or opinions about hockey. This accuracy lends credibility to his contributions and can make his insights valuable to discussions.
  2. Perceived Obnoxiousness: Despite his accuracy, Gurglesons has a reputation for being obnoxious. This could manifest in various ways, such as:
    • Condescending Tone: He might present his points in a way that seems dismissive or superior, which can be off-putting to others.
    • Provocative Language: Using language that is intended to provoke or antagonize other users, leading to heated exchanges.
    • Persistent Arguments: Engaging in long, drawn-out arguments, even when the discussion could have been resolved more amicably.
  3. Whiny Behavior: Gurglesons might also be seen as a "cry baby," which could mean he often complains or reacts negatively when things don't go his way in discussions. This can include:
    • Frequent Complaints: Regularly voicing grievances about Mike Sullivan and Kyle Dubas
    • Victim Mentality: Portraying himself as being unfairly targeted or misunderstood by others.
    • Watches lots of games
  4. Resentment from Other Users: The combination of being right often and having an irritating demeanor can lead to resentment. This resentment arises because:
    • Reluctant Acknowledgment: Other users might have to admit that Gurglesons is correct despite not liking him personally, which can be frustrating.
    • Clashing Personalities: Differences in communication styles and personal values can exacerbate conflicts.

Impact on HFBoards:​

• Discussion Quality: Gurglesons' accuracy can elevate the level of discussion, as he provides well-founded points and insights.
  • Community Tension: His behavior can create a polarized atmosphere, where users might take sides for or against him, leading to more conflicts.
  • Moderation Challenges: Moderators might have a tough time managing interactions involving Gurglesons, balancing the value of his contributions against the disruption his demeanor might cause.

Summary:​

Gurglesons is a user on HFBoards whose accurate insights are overshadowed by an obnoxious and whiny demeanor. This combination leads to resentment from other users, as they must navigate the tension between acknowledging his correctness and dealing with his irritating behavior. His presence on the forum highlights the complexities of online communities, where the quality of contributions and personal interactions both play crucial roles in the overall user experience.
But, did the AI think you would make a good GM?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I specifically said I wasn’t gatekeeping your fandom. You’re a fan. I just don’t understand being a fan and your disdain for the Sid / Geno / Letang situation.
I explained it very clearly in the first response, so you should understand now.
I want the team to win again, which I know is insane to many. Others are older viewers who are sated and don't give a crap anymore about Cups for the Penguins. I understand that, but I don't consider them Penguins fans.
That's not gatekeeping either. That's just reality. They don't care about the team's results, so how can I call them a Penguins fan? They are merely fans of a few select players now. Most of the players they don't care about at all.

I don't believe in coasting in sports with any team, with any level of success. So here we are.
If the Pens won 10 Cups in 10 years, I would want them to go 100% in year 11. What's in the past is in the past. You focus on the task at hand. You always strive to progress, to win.
In our case we need to rebuild before a Cup happens, so better get to it asap instead of messing around.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
That's an unnecessary risk. What if he sucks this year and decreases his value? His value is at its peak right now. Now is the time to strike.
I cant get any of the cap sites to load on this amazing internet I have right now so I am having to go off of memeory. He has a NTC right? Something like 8 teams he can be traded or not traded. Again going off of pure memory.

We aren't the Caps.
If we could be in that old South East division the Caps were in... We may have a chance... Maybe... :laugh:

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Yea I’m on the Tank train. I was so bummed when Ray didn’t get to trade up with Ottawa to take him before St. Louis. This slightly rectifies that tragedy.

O’Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Tarasenko
Beauvillier-Eller-Rakell
Lizotte-Hayes-Puustinen

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I explained it very clearly in the first response, so you should understand now.
I want the team to win again, which I know is insane to many. Others are older viewers who are sated and don't give a crap anymore about Cups for the Penguins. I understand that, but I don't consider them Penguins fans.
That's not gatekeeping either. That's just reality. They don't care about the team's results, so how can I call them a Penguins fan? They are merely fans of a few select players now. Most of the players they don't care about at all.

I don't believe in coasting in sports with any team, with any level of success. So here we are.
If the Pens won 10 Cups in 10 years, I would want them to go 100% in year 11. What's in the past is in the past. You focus on the task at hand. You always strive to progress, to win.
In our case we need to rebuild before a Cup happens, so better get to it asap instead of messing around.

At this point though there is very little additional tearing down we can do.

Jarry tanked his value last year. Our best path forward with him is letting him build it back up.
Rust is on a restrictive NMC for another year.
Karlsson would take our remaining retention spot and may have more value at the TDL or next off-season (when we'll have more retention spots).
Rakell would take a retention spot and could rebuild his value this year
Petts is the ONLY example where we may be leaving some value on the table by not selling now. At the same time, we don't know if Dubas has been offered a 1st for him. I don't think his value would drop much by the deadline, if at all.

I also am cool buying this year if we think we can get to the final 8 or so. There's value in playoff hockey and excitement, and it's not infeasible to think this team and these Hall of Famers can figure their stuff out on the Powerplay. If they bomb, then the sell off can really begin at the TDL and next off-season.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad