GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I absolutely loathe the idea of acquiring or re-signing guys with the idea to flip them later. Way too many variables involved from play dropping off, injuries, actually needing to find a team with the cap to take said player as well as the desire to trade for him, etc.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Pens have 3 of them. I know you know this, because you know. And you're super cool. But I think Vegas would lick our balls to have 3 vs 1.

What's the point of being a fan if you don't have an emotional attachment to the team and players? I ain't window shopping for a new watch. I find the way Vegas ships people out as soon as they have a shiny new ruptured spleen to play with a bit off-putting, from a human perspective.

But, and I can't overstate how confused I am: if you aren't emotionally attached to the team and players, and you don't care about watching your team's most-important players finish with your team, and you really enjoy the vegas way of doing things, why the f*** aren't you just a fan of Vegas? Like, if you don't care about the attachments, go be unattached. Why care about Pittsburgh?

(to be super duper clear, I ain't gatekeeping fandom here, but the way you've described your feelings towards the Penguins' greats and your disdain for them sticking around, you seem to be a fan of the process more than anything, so.... like... why not go cheer for better processes? Hell, the way Tampa just got rid of Stamkos should have you harder than diamond right now)
It's very simple. I want to get emotionally attached to the next wave of core players. I want to get attached to a coach and GM who are hungry to win. I want the focus to return to seeking championships, not increased nepotism every year.
I am fully satisfied with what our core has given us. I've seen the vast majority of their games. They were among my favorite players. But now is not a good time to re-sign Sid. Everything has an expiration date in this life.
They need 1sts and 2nds, and to weaponize cap space.

Besides, as a fan of Crosby, I want to see him smiling and having fun in the playoffs again, going deep. I don't want him to retire having not won a round for 10 years (2019-2028). I don't want to see his sadness after game 82, where we miss over and over. That is not what's good for him and his legacy. That is not honoring his efforts at these ages.

You misunderstand. I don't have disdain for him. I have disdain for those who are not going all-out to do the best that they can at their jobs. It's in the GMs job description to build as strong of a team as possible. It's in the coach's job description to win hockey games, not get comfy with staff and favorites. Ownership should also acknowledge a lost cause and greenlight scorched earth, instead of slowing us down like this, asking for futile efforts at playoff success right now.

I don't want a retirement tour team. I want a team with an Olympian mindset. That's in the spirit of sport. Half-assing and not being willing to make sacrifices is not.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Dubas tried to trade Jarry and had no dance partners. I think you'll get more for Pettersson at the TDL.

Signing Tarasenko improves playoffs chances...if he doesn't, you sell him at the TDL for likely more than you get taking on a bad player. Which we also did with Hayes. So it seems like Dubas is doing most of the things you want him to be doing.

Yes, the next draft will help.
I'm not against signing Tarasenko as well, not sure how but find the space and do it! Sens signed him to a 5 million dollar deal last season and returned a 4th and 3rd. Hayes already got us a 2nd, which should be a decent pick from St Louis.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This board's obsession with Tatar last year was a little odd. You give a guy like Puus all season and a defined role and he could put up the same numbers. And I'm not a huge um... Puus believer.

Dic Nowd guy?

It's rebuild. The answer is rebuild. Trying to win now, with half the canoe over the edge of the waterfall is f***ing stupid. But yeah, pick a lane (which it seems they have, finally).

*Cue Kyle Dubas signing Marcus Pettersson*

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He should be shopping everyone, and steeling himself to deal with Sullivan's wrath next summer after he deals Rust the second his NTC expires. :laugh:

“The only thing that is really important to us: If we are moving players out, the return has to be good,” Dubas said.

AKA. I'm worried what Capfriendly says about me because I need to look good.

Francis is just dumb enough to take Ryan Graves on.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
“The only thing that is really important to us: If we are moving players out, the return has to be good,” Dubas said.

AKA. I'm worried what Capfriendly says about me because I need to look good.
I think it's more "I gotta fool dumb yinzers into still buying tickets" but yeah, I think there's a reluctance to accept anything short of a strong return. If you find a partner and the return is acceptable, but not stellar, I think you still do it. Sooner this team gets to being awful, the sooner they can roll the dice that the top-3 or top-5 picks will pan out and they can work through the rebuild.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I get that pro athletes are not your model of intelligence....but they have got to have a group chat going, looking at where they are, where they've been, and the moves made.

No way they're completely ignorant of what's going on, even on whatever beach they're on right now. And knowing that, why sign up for more?

Like, Sid should know his legacy as a Penguin is an all-timer. Hell all 3 of those guys. Why sign up for more at this point? You're not going to compete, you have no sign whatsoever of competing down the road, and your supporting cast is 110% leaning on you all to get the job done.

Meanwhile guys like freakin Hyman get 2 seasons worth of goals and a shot at the cup because he's on the right team. Idk. This isn't a case of basketball super teams - this is the realization that father time is creeping and making a decision to spend the last few years grinding it out and taking punishment for absolutely no other reason than to prove you did it on one team, versus putting in the same (or maybe less) effort to do it on a competitive team?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think it's more "I gotta fool dumb yinzers into still buying tickets" but yeah, I think there's a reluctance to accept anything short of a strong return. If you find a partner and the return is acceptable, but not stellar, I think you still do it. Sooner this team gets to being awful, the sooner they can roll the dice that the top-3 or top-5 picks will pan out and they can work through the rebuild.

Getting out of term for lesser term should be the goal.

If you can move Rakell for a worse contract or worse player with less term, do it.

etc etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad