GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Interesting. Not who I had on my radar. Was a bottom pairing guy in NY. Could be a decent bottom pairng guy here.

Little crowded down there with Shea and JSI and now Gryz and Aho in the mix.
I can remember (unless I am mixing him up with another player) a time that NYI fans were high on him playing up the pairings. Not top pair but playing to the point that they were questioning, could he be a middle pair guy? Who knows. Maybe he finds a way to cement the bottom pair and become a guy that can play middle minutes if people go IR... Which will happen. Did not have the guy on my radar at all ether.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
200.webp

One of the standout individuals on HFBoards who gained a reputation for being exceptionally knowledgeable, insightful, and well-respected is typically a user known as "Big Friggin Dummy" although usernames and reputations can change over time on forums. This person is often distinguished by their deep understanding of the game of hockey, including its history, statistics, and player development. They contribute to discussions with a blend of expertise, passion, and a respectful demeanor that sets them apart.

Users like "Big Friggin Dummy" often become pillars of the community due to their willingness to share information, provide thoughtful analysis, and engage constructively with other members. Their contributions can range from detailed breakdowns of player performances to strategic insights into team dynamics and league trends. As a result, they often earn a following among fellow enthusiasts who appreciate their expertise and the positive atmosphere they help foster in the forums.

It's worth noting that the specific user and their reputation can evolve over time, and different forums may have different notable contributors who fit this description.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
One of the standout individuals on HFBoards who gained a reputation for being exceptionally knowledgeable, insightful, and well-respected is typically a user known as "Big Friggin Dummy" although usernames and reputations can change over time on forums. This person is often distinguished by their deep understanding of the game of hockey, including its history, statistics, and player development. They contribute to discussions with a blend of expertise, passion, and a respectful demeanor that sets them apart.

Users like "Hockey Guru" often become pillars of the community due to their willingness to share information, provide thoughtful analysis, and engage constructively with other members. Their contributions can range from detailed breakdowns of player performances to strategic insights into team dynamics and league trends. As a result, they often earn a following among fellow enthusiasts who appreciate their expertise and the positive atmosphere they help foster in the forums.

It's worth noting that the specific user and their reputation can evolve over time, and different forums may have different notable contributors who fit this description.
I ain't readin' all that chatgpt trash, you're still a dumb f***ing emotional whiner. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I probably would have preferred to take a 3rd for Joseph over a 2nd for Hayes, but at the same time, I would have preferred to do both and just not signed Beauvillier.

But at the same time, the Penguins still have cap space left and the off-season isn't done. I wouldn't want to miss out on say Tarasenko to take on Joseph's deal for example.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I can remember (unless I am mixing him up with another player) a time that NYI fans were high on him playing up the pairings. Not top pair but playing to the point that they were questioning, could he be a middle pair guy? Who knows. Maybe he finds a way to cement the bottom pair and become a guy that can play middle minutes if people go IR... Which will happen. Did not have the guy on my radar at all ether.

I had him on my radar. He's a mid 3rd pairing guy that can play a safe role for cheap.

I ain't readin' all that chatgpt trash, you're still a dumb f***ing emotional whiner. :laugh:

You've been complaining about this team since 2019 every single post.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Also, I realize part of this is due to a now-illegal contract, but Sid definitely left money on the table (partly due to his own psychosis) which helped keep the Penguins competitive for the entirety of his prime (and allowed them to pay Geno and Letang). I don't know if Sid will get 8.7/per still, but even at 37 his worth is WAY closer to 8.7 per than Stamkos' is to 8. That contract is f***ing bonkers. Did you watch Sid play last year?

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I mean, you could point out numerous factors that Sid has in his favor that Stamkos does not. Perhaps that's being overly-emotional but hey, that's show business baby.

Crosby has not just been a long-term captain and face of this team, he's been the preeminent face of the entire league. People have bought tickets to away games for the sole purpose of watching 87 play. All due respect, but I'm not sure Stamkos was ever that level of draw.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Users like "Big Friggin Dummy" often become pillars of the community due to their willingness to share information, provide thoughtful analysis, and engage constructively with other members. Their contributions can range from detailed breakdowns of player performances to strategic insights into team dynamics and league trends. As a result, they often earn a following among fellow enthusiasts who appreciate their expertise and the positive atmosphere they help foster in the forums.

Holy AI word vomit! :laugh:

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You’d think Pens fans, of all people, would realize that vibes are real and that playoff series aren’t just won by what team is better on paper, and no process isn’t made better by having all time greats to mentor. The Pens have Lemieux to mentor Sid, and Gonchar to mentor Geno. Sid is a robot but I think he learned a ton from Lemieux about both what to do and what not to do as a leader. I can guarantee you that Malkin isn’t the player he was right off the bat without Gonchar there to support him. Whenever the rebuild hits full swing, you want those guys around the young players.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You’d think Pens fans, of all people, would realize that vibes are real and that playoff series aren’t just won by what team is better on paper, and no process isn’t made better by having all time greats to mentor. The Pens have Lemieux to mentor Sid, and Gonchar to mentor Geno. Sid is a robot but I think he learned a ton from Lemieux about both what to do and what not to do as a leader. I can guarantee you that Malkin isn’t the player he was right off the bat without Gonchar there to support him. Whenever the rebuild hits full swing, you want those guys around the young players.

Gonchar was 34 when he left here.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think this is a guy that you can have on a bottom pairing with little worry. If something happen where Shea or JSI go to poo, having Aho there to stabilize is nice. That said, it also opens the door to be able to move Petterson, Gryz, or Graves with relative ease.
Also, I realize part of this is due to a now-illegal contract, but Sid definitely left money on the table (partly due to his own psychosis) which helped keep the Penguins competitive for the entirety of his prime (and allowed them to pay Geno and Letang). I don't know if Sid will get 8.7/per still, but even at 37 his worth is WAY closer to 8.7 per than Stamkos' is to 8. That contract is f***ing bonkers. Did you watch Sid play last year?
In the spitting chichlets episode with him, he talked about that a bit. I think that was an early realization that the cap has constraints, and if you want to win, you need good value deals. I know Lemieux took less and deferred salary a lot in his day in pursuit of helping the organization.

Interesting question now will be - what does he resign for? $8.7mil would be totally doable and fair for both sides. I could also see him getting $10mil. That said, I could also see him moving down to $6mil to be with Letang and Malkin. Something like $6.87mil x 3-4 years.

MFK-

Harkins, ZAR or Craig Adams?
Easy:

Marry Craig Adams because he's a smart financial guru.

F*** ZAR because he's dreamy (as per my wife)

Kill Harkins. That's an easy one.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Randy Butternubs is a well-known member of the HFBoards community, gaining recognition for several reasons:
  1. Detailed Prospect Rankings: He is particularly noted for his thorough and insightful rankings of hockey prospects. His assessments often reflect a deep understanding of the game and the potential of young players.
  2. Engaging Analysis: Randy Butternubs is known for providing detailed and engaging analysis of players, teams, and games. His posts often include in-depth breakdowns of player performances and potential.
  3. Active Participation: He is an active participant in discussions on HFBoards, contributing regularly to threads about various hockey-related topics. His frequent contributions and interactions with other members help foster a vibrant community.
  4. Reputation for Insightfulness: Over time, Randy Butternubs has built a reputation for being insightful and knowledgeable about hockey, earning respect from fellow forum members.
  5. Humor and Personality: The pseudonym itself, "Randy Butternubs," adds a touch of humor and personality, making his posts memorable and distinctive within the community.
These elements contribute to Randy Butternubs' standing as a prominent and respected figure on HFBoards.

^ I don't think any of that is true.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He won a cup with us. Won a cup with Carolina too.

Effective player in his prime.

"craig adams prime"
He also tried to strip Sid of his captaincy and was a sniveling shithead lapdog with Bylsma. :laugh:

Kill Adams, f*** Harkins and his sneaky good shot, Marry ZAR cuz he's soft as a baby's bottom. I'll have to run the numbers to be "objective hall monitor approved" with AB but I think that's correct.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would've probably just signed Aho only and not Grzelcyk, especially for their costs.

He's only a 6/7 but at least he's a cheap one. Grzelcyk is pretty pricey unless he returns to some prior form. And with both you've got a lotta midgets on the back end, though I guess you gotta find bargains somehow.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I would've probably just signed Aho only and not Grzelcyk, especially for their costs.

He's only a 6/7 but at least he's a cheap one. Grzelcyk is pretty pricey unless he returns to some prior form. And with both you've got a lotta midgets on the back end, though I guess you gotta find bargains somehow.

I mean. The only thing I think it could potentially mean is we are shopping Graves and Petts.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad