GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Because Sid has earned it. Sid is owed that time and privilege. End of story.

The longer people want to pretend that is not the case or that he's not deserving of it, the longer they will continue to be baffled by moves that support that viewpoint and the longer they will be mad about it.

Not trying to be harsh to you in particular or anything but people. need. to. get. this. through. their. heads: Sid WILL resign. They WILL try to "stay competitive for Sid's sake while building for the future. There will NOT be a full strip down involving trading Sid, Geno, and/or Letang. The true rebuild will start when Sid retires.

This is has been discusses by Dubas sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many f***ing times that it's baffling that people don't understand at this point. Do I think it's the right thing to do...yes, actually. I do. 100%. That doesn't mean I will like or defend every move or signing that supports that blueprint but we are in for some dark times once they leave. Enjoy the sunset while we can.
I understand that this is what is going to happen, but I disagree that Sid is owed it. He was owed the money he made. He is not owed anything else. I would certainly treat him with respect, but that doesn't mean the team owes him a new contract if they for some reason decided they didn't want to sign him to one. He's going to resign though.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’d just assume if Sid was 100% committed to being here the contract would be written up for a signature.
I do not think Crosby's commitment to the team can be at all questioned at this point. I can only speak to how I would be in his shoes right now, obviously we cannot see inside of his own head, but for myself and I am only a couple of years older than him... I wouldn't rush toward any decision. While you have time and an opportunity to just let the ripples in the water settle. Then make the choice when the time comes. I am sure this season weighs on his mind. He's looking at the first time being on a team with sustained irrelevancy given how we all believe the season will play out. I can tell you how I would feel in that situation... None of us know how he feels. I bet by deadline this year we will be able to tell the balance of the scales if there isn't an extension signed. But until then... Is what it is. At least that's how I would feel if I were him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Question - Do any of the young players acquired for Guentzel have a shot at making the team. I know, I know, Sully will never let that happen, but putting Sully aside, who could push for a spot?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Question - Do any of the young players acquired for Guentzel have a shot at making the team. I know, I know, Sully will never let that happen, but putting Sully aside, who could push for a spot?

Ponomarev likely pushes for a spot immediately and Koivunen probably needs a year or so to legitimately push for a spot. Lucius is years away.

Reactions: Fiji Water

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I know this is sacreligious but I'd laugh if Sid pulled one of these and went elsewhere after seeing the state of the team follow the past two playoff misses:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Actually I'm not totally sure Aho is just WBS depth, he may be NHL depth instead. He played 16:23 and 16:46 a night in the last 2 years and gave what appears to be decent results. He was legitimately good in that role in 2022-2023.

With Ludvig out until at least December, I figure Aho's now their #7 defenseman.

He'd have to clear waivers to go to WBS but he's okay at as 7/8 guy.

His issue with the Islanders is he's not really good at anything and is awful when it comes to physical play. For an offensive defenseman he doesn't skate the puck out of trouble or through the neutral zone well enough, and he doesn't use his skating well enough to retrieve pucks or avoid getting hit. He'll be fine for a huge chunk of a game and then at some point he'll look like a 12 year old hanging on for dear life in a college game, which will lead to a goal against. He doesn't make glaring mistakes, he's just not big enough, strong enough, or smart enough to be effective night in and out. Any team with size or physicality is a recipe for disaster with him.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I know this is sacreligious but I'd laugh if Sid pulled one of these and went elsewhere after seeing the state of the team follow the past two playoff misses:

I am out in the middle of the ocean on crap internet. So I cannot load the Youtube for the reference. But if Sid left. Honestly I wouldn't blame him. He has given more than enough for this teams. If I were the Pens though I would make him be vocal that it was his choice not FSG/Pens coming to him and asking him to waive.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
lol 2 years ofc. good thing we can just waive him and bury full contract in AHL tho

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I am out in the middle of the ocean on crap internet. So I cannot load the Youtube for the reference. But if Sid left. Honestly I wouldn't blame him. He has given more than enough for this teams. If I were the Pens though I would make him be vocal that it was his choice not FSG/Pens coming to him and asking him to waive.
Reporter sees bison and basically said "Nope, nuh uh, not gonna mess with that" and walks away. :laugh:

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
i admit i was kinda excited for Acciari to be here, but the way he’s deployed by Sullivan makes me want him gone before game 1.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I understand that this is what is going to happen, but I disagree that Sid is owed it. He was owed the money he made. He is not owed anything else. I would certainly treat him with respect, but that doesn't mean the team owes him a new contract if they for some reason decided they didn't want to sign him to one. He's going to resign though.
That's your POV and it's totally valid. Not saying you're wrong but I am saying that it's highly likely Dubas, the FO, and FSG disagrees with you. Which is why they will resign Sid and be doing exactly as I said. And I believe this to be true because it's what Dubas has said over and over again so...

To contrast this with Stammer - Stamkos was a wing and there were viable replacements on the open market. Will there be a viable replacement for Sid next year? What do we gain by not resigning Sid right now?

DOC-Malkin-Rust
Bunting-Hayes-Rakell
Beau-Eller-Puustinen
Poulin-Lizotte-Acciari

Along with an entire team and organization and fan base that is not sad and likely pissed we didn't resign him. What are the positives here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad