GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Actually I'm not totally sure Aho is just WBS depth, he may be NHL depth instead. He played 16:23 and 16:46 a night in the last 2 years and gave what appears to be decent results. He was legitimately good in that role in 2022-2023.

With Ludvig out until at least December, I figure Aho's now their #7 defenseman.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Actually I'm not totally sure Aho is just WBS depth, he may be NHL depth instead. He played 16:23 and 16:46 a night in the last 2 years and gave what appears to be decent results. He was legitimately good in that role in 2022-2023.

With Ludvig out until at least December, I figure Aho's now their #7 defenseman.
Pettersson Letang
Griz Karlsson
Graves St. Ivaney

7th at this point is Ludvig or Shea who aren't too exciting.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I'm not incredibly excited about the Grzelcyk signing, but tbh Brannstrom isn't a sure thing.

Gryz has been a 17-19 minute defenseman on a really good Boston team.

Brannstrom was a 16 minute guy on a terrible Ottawa team that had lots of LHD to insulate him.
You’re right. I would have preferred a defenseman with a bigger body and some PK experience (physicality would be nice) in that bottom pairing over the both of them (e.g. Dakota Mermis, Haydn Fleury, Robert Bortuzzo)

Brannstrom has his flaws, although I believe he’s a better option than Grzelcyk with his age and upside.

It’s not really a big deal, since this team isn’t nor should they be competing. It’s just frustrating to see how Dubas continues to construct an unbalanced roster. The fact that he doesn’t have anyone in a provisional role like he did with Shanahan in Toronto is beyond frustrating.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah I don't see why Dubas has to re-sign Sid July 1. He's talking to million other guys at this time.
Sid can wait a week. Won't change squat.

I’d just assume if Sid was 100% committed to being here the contract would be written up for a signature.

You’re right. I would have preferred a defenseman with a bigger body and some PK experience (physicality would be nice) in that bottom pairing over the both of them (e.g. Dakota Mermis, Haydn Fleury, Robert Bortuzzo)

Brannstrom has his flaws, although I believe he’s a better option than Grzelcyk with his age and upside.

It’s not really a big deal, since this team isn’t nor should they be competing. It’s just frustrating to see how Dubas continues to construct an unbalanced roster. The fact that he doesn’t have anyone in a provisional role like he did with Shanahan in Toronto is beyond frustrating.

Dubas failed for years in Toronto to establish depth. Seeing him do it here is no surprise.

Reactions: Your Boy Troy

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yeah I don't see why Dubas has to re-sign Sid July 1. He's talking to million other guys at this time.
Sid can wait a week. Won't change squat.
Both Sid and Dubas said they’ve had discussions recently. Can imagine there’s a basic framework that both have agreed to and it’s all about nailing down the rest of the components of the contract.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
I’d just assume if Sid was 100% committed to being here the contract would be written up for a signature.

Dubas failed for years in Toronto to establish depth. Seeing him do it here is no surprise.
I could see Sid waiting until August 7th to sign his deal lol 3 x 8.7

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Guentzel move was correct, for sure. Not going scorched earth is not though.
Why re-sign Sid until he's 40 when you're not really trying to win anymore?
*snip*
Because Sid has earned it. Sid is owed that time and privilege. End of story.

The longer people want to pretend that is not the case or that he's not deserving of it, the longer they will continue to be baffled by moves that support that viewpoint and the longer they will be mad about it.

Not trying to be harsh to you in particular or anything but people. need. to. get. this. through. their. heads: Sid WILL resign. They WILL try to "stay competitive for Sid's sake while building for the future. There will NOT be a full strip down involving trading Sid, Geno, and/or Letang. The true rebuild will start when Sid retires.

This is has been discusses by Dubas sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many f***ing times that it's baffling that people don't understand at this point. Do I think it's the right thing to do...yes, actually. I do. 100%. That doesn't mean I will like or defend every move or signing that supports that blueprint but we are in for some dark times once they leave. Enjoy the sunset while we can.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I would have 100% offered Brannstrom an extra year to entice him here. 2x $950k. He has talent. He’s only played for a trash can of an organization. He seems like a prime project that has the actual upside of a lottery ticket. I could easily see him figuring it out with Colorado.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad