GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Or the constant "Malkin is unhappy and wants out in Pittsburgh look for him to be moved to LA." crap he spewed every summer from 2009-2012, or was that Darrien Dregger or some other Canadian pickle smoother?
that was Nick Kypreos, and it's important to keep all of these straight, because Friendman is, more-or-less, as good as it gets in this business. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he doesn't make shit up, he doesn't clickbait, and he gets it right the vast majority of time.

Kypreos is the exact-opposite of all of those things

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
that was Nick Kypreos, and it's important to keep all of these straight, because Friendman is, more-or-less, as good as it gets in this business. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he doesn't make shit up, he doesn't clickbait, and he gets it right the vast majority of time.

Kypreos is the exact-opposite of all of those things
Meh aside from Bobby Mac they all blend together for me cant particularly stand any of them.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Eller out, Tarasenko in...

Rakell Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Tarasenko
O'Connor Hayes Puustinen
Lizotte Acciari Puljujarvi
Beauvillier Poulin
Close.

Rakell Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Tarasenko
O'Connor Hayes Puustinen
Beauvillire Lizotte Puljujarvi
Poulin Acciari

With that, I think Puustinen, Beau, Poulin, and any other wing in WBS playing well can compete for the 3RW and 4LW spots. You could also try:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Tarasenko
Beau-Hayes-Rakell
Poulin-Lizotte-Puustinen

I find Friedman more likeable than Bobby Mac, but i have my own reasons for that and I don't blame anyone who views McKenzie as the gold standard in the business
I've long said that they are in a tough position. They are judged on the number of trades/signings that actually come to fruition. People too often dismiss that conversations happen all the time and trades don't manifest. But just because they don't manifest doesn't mean they aren't being discussed as reported.

The far better way to devalue their credit is if they say "this trade will happen" and then it doesn't. Trade talks can get quite serious and fall apart right at the end.

Reactions: Lustaf

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Close.

Rakell Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Tarasenko
O'Connor Hayes Puustinen
Beauvillire Lizotte Puljujarvi
Poulin Acciari

With that, I think Puustinen, Beau, Poulin, and any other wing in WBS playing well can compete for the 3RW and 4LW spots. You could also try:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Tarasenko
Beau-Hayes-Rakell
Poulin-Lizotte-Puustinen

I've long said that they are in a tough position. They are judged on the number of trades/signings that actually come to fruition. People too often dismiss that conversations happen all the time and trades don't manifest. But just because they don't manifest doesn't mean they aren't being discussed as reported.

The far better way to devalue their credit is if they say "this trade will happen" and then it doesn't. Trade talks can get quite serious and fall apart right at the end.
Yah. In this way, and this way only, being a news breaker or whatever they call themselves nowadays, is a lot like being a GM. Lots of conversations happening, lots of things you're trying to get done, none of it is totally in your control and things fall through constantly.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Geting any kind of asset for Eller or Acciari while replacing with Lizotte for free would be good asset management.

I don't see us signing any more players without moving someone out.
Cap space or not, we have like 0 roster spots left. It's already full roster if poolparty and Bemström are extras. And that's counting 0 of Poulin, pono etc making the.team
I wouldnt move our best bottom 6 player from last year in eller. Acciari can go though

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Especially with the Lizotte signing, I think trading Eller for picks and then signing Tarasenko to a 1 year deal makes a lot of sense. Tarasenko is another trade bait for later in the year for more assets.

I’d go with O’Connor-Lizette-Puustinen and Beauvillier-Hayes-Acciari as their bottom-6, with keeping Acciari on a short leash and being willing to scratch him if he doesn’t improve.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Am I taking crazy pills? Why would we extend him when he’s our best trade asset and we are starting a rebuild? It makes no sense and Dubas should know better.

Probably not an issue if his first 2 years have little trade protection. Gives us options.

1. It could get more value in a trade.
2. Gives more time if you don’t get any good offers.
3. We don’t have any good young player that he’s blocking.
4. He’s pretty stable so I doubt his value would change much this year or next.

If a great deal came up now then I’m sure he’s gone but teams don’t usually overpay for the Pettersson types.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Probably not an issue if his first 2 years have little trade protection. Gives us options.

1. It could get more value in a trade.
2. Gives more time if you don’t get any good offers.
3. We don’t have any good young player that he’s blocking.
4. He’s pretty stable so I doubt his value would change much this year or next.

If a great deal came up now then I’m sure he’s gone but teams don’t usually overpay for the Pettersson types.
I strongly disagree that teams don’t pay solid prices for Pettersson types.

Gavrikov got a solid return for Columbus.
In no way am I saying Petts is in the same class but they play a similar game, Boston paid a 1st and 2 2nds for Hampus Lindholm
Tanev, although more physical, was also 5 years older and returned a 2nd, conditional 3rd, and prospect who was a former 2nd round pick.

An extended player is not ideal to all teams. Many contenders want the option to move on at the end of the year if they want. Being tied to a player isn’t as attractive as most think unless they are a bonafide star.

Injuries are always a possibility. Petts is always fighting guys he shouldn’t be and blocking shots. Guys like him do not age well. Look at Dumo.

The smart thing to do is trade him this year at the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm really back and forth on Pettersson. On one hand, you need guys like him to solidify your backend. He's been absolutely great for us and works very well with both Letang and EK. It's important for them both to have a solid d-partner. Even rebuilding teams have guys like Pettersson on the roster so I don't view resigning him as some sort of red or white flag on our future plans. At all. In fact, of all people, complaining about resigning Pettersson may be one of the lower IQ moments a person could have here.

BUT...

Every year we see decent quality top 4 dmen available. Sometimes you have to pay for them and sometimes you get a deal. Next year's class isn't as good as the recent one but there are still some decent names - Orlov, Proverov, Gavrikov, Pionk, Theodore, McCabb, etc. So that makes me think, it would be worth while to trade Pettersson, get the assets, then sign someone in FA.

There were some deals discussed around the TDL last year like - Bahl + 1st from NJD. I think you can easily get a 1st at the very least. If you retain 50%, Petts at $2mil is one HELL of a nice piece to add to your cup run profile.

If we are out at the TDL: Pettersson, Hayes, Eller, Acciari, Beauvillier all out could really bring in some good assets (quality from Pettersson, quantity from the others).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad