GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
It's obvious the Pens are trying to increase their production from the bottom 6. Take a flying on Laine if the deal can be made and hope Rakell and Karlson have better seasons.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
For the love of God, actively shop and force Crosby out. Letting 87 resign here practically guarantees he will retire at 38/39 after a disappointing set of sunset years. You’re doing the guy who has done so much for the franchise such a massive disservice when he could push for second all-time in scoring if driven on a top contender.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
They need a top 9 winger somewhere if they want to make any sort of assertion they are trying to compete.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I guess I just think the team's already unbearable to watch. They tried to turn a 100pt Norris winner into Paul Martin cuz it fits their lame style of "play everyone to a draw, beige is too bright a color, no personality or creativity". :laugh:

I really wish Mario gave a f*** enough about anything other than how much he could sell the team for back in 2020, then maybe he'd have nuked the FO and coaching staff and tried to eek out another run or two from the era. That dude shrugged and already had the wheels in motion for trying to find a buyer. Pretty clear to me that was the signing of the death certificate for the era.
I'm fairly optimistic that those times might come back, but I don't think Sullivan will be the coach for it, for whatever reason. It's just untenable with a market like Pittsburgh to be mediocre, we're not the Leafs.
Hindsight is 20/20 my friend
Hindsight is illegal, sorry.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This is exactly why I don't get mad about watching the Pirates. I want them to do well, but I'm not expecting them to be a top tier contender. So when people are spazzing out saying "this team is 37-40, everyone should be fired!", I'm like "isn't this basically just what this team is?".
So you're content with mediocrity and critique others that aren't??

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For the love of God, actively shop and force Crosby out. Letting 87 resign here practically guarantees he will retire at 38/39 after a disappointing set of sunset years. You’re doing the guy who has done so much for the franchise such a massive disservice when he could push for second all-time in scoring if driven on a top contender.

And if Crosby is okay with that, why should you have a problem with that?

So you're content with mediocrity and critique others that aren't??

No, I just have reasonable expectations for what my teams should be doing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. How about we give the Capitals deals some time to marinate before anointing them as being better than the ones you listed. They haven’t even stepped on the ice yet.

Also, I don’t know what more you could have wanted from the Guentzel/Bunting trade. I thought Bunting was awesome here. But yes, I agree with the rest of your list.

I'm not sure what is difficult to understand.

Our GM less than 12 months ago was telling us "he wouldn't bet against our core."

He gave up a 1st that could've potentially rolled over to this year and been a lottery pick.

He then did nothing to improve the team in season.

He traded Jake and traded him for a 2nd, a player that would help us now, and propsects that he said would help us acquire young players or develop here.

He now is completely admitting defeat and taking on cap to get picks.

How is this a plan? He's changed the message multiple times in 12 months.

When he signs Marcus Pettersson to a 6x6 deal what is going to be the reason we say that was a great move?

Reactions: BillyOcean

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd prefer Sid retire here but if he wanted out, I wouldn't give a shit. People talk about doing right by Sid and I think it's pretty damn clear that means giving him another shot elsewhere. Ship's sailed, made several more trips, sunk, and since rotted at the bottom of the ocean since this team's been "doing right by Sid".

Reactions: Dominance

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You continually bring up Washington like they are a comparison to us.

They had many more 1st rounders throughout the years. They have also got extremely lucky in the fact that their old veterans making a bunch of money started getting hurt and their awful contracts will be LTIR’d.

Oh and most importantly the Capitals won one cup. We won 3 and went to 4. Give me that shit over what any team does this offseason.

The Capitals should be ahead of us nor should they be the team we look to emulate.
Exactly. When's the last time the Caps were even considered real contender to win a Cup? It was 2017. Everybody thought they were toast in 2018 and then they beat the Pens when literally everybody below the first line was injured as hell, got to the finals and played an expansion team who goalied their way past Winnipeg, and then got a star perfomance from Devante Smith Pelley who washed out of the league 3 weeks later. Then they win, and lose their coach and haven't been a threat since nor have tried really hard to be one.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But whatever, at the end of the day, everyone watches the game for something different. It's just dumb to pretend that there's only one way to look at this team and that's objective or emotionally or whatever. I watch the team because I grew up with them and it's part of my hometown nostalgia, I don't give a f*** about the stats or what's good for FSG.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm fairly optimistic that those times might come back, but I don't think Sullivan will be the coach for it, for whatever reason. It's just untenable with a market like Pittsburgh to be mediocre, we're not the Leafs.

Hindsight is illegal, sorry.
Honestly, I don't think FSG catches near enough shit. They're probably happy as pigs in shit cuz Dubas and Sullivan act as lightning rods when they've been dogshit since taking over.

Got zero faith in them as an ownership group. This team's gonna have to luck into some serious draft winnings in order to short shit out, and it'll probably take a decade.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Dubas did what he could with what we had
We knew it was gonna suck

They aren't blowing the team up, so this is what we got... The same broken shit pile, hoping some dudes play above their ability

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And if Crosby is okay with that, why should you have a problem with that?

No, I just have reasonable expectations for what my teams should be doing.
If Nutter would have spent a mere 20-25 million more this offseason, that 37-40 team could be winning their division..................... hence the anger.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is literally no one on this site, or among Penguins fans in general, that is "rooting for mediocrity". People have just come to terms with where this team is at and the appropriate path forward to one day become good again.

No one wants Kevin Hayes on this team. No one wants to see the team be shitty. People want to see the team become good again in the future, and what they're doing now is what is required to do that.

Reactions: Kiith Nabaal

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hell, San Jose got rid of Quinn. They have a shot at doing some interesting stuff. They're not going to be good, but they've got potential.

Wouldn't it be nice to be excited about potential instead of merely "accepting"?
I think the team has potential under Dubas, but we won't see it for real until a rebuild is greenlit.
Any other GM we coulda hired woulda had the same problem. FSG woulda blocked scorched earth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Exactly. When's the last time the Caps were even considered real contender to win a Cup? It was 2017. Everybody thought they were toast in 2018 and then they beat the Pens when literally everybody below the first line was injured as hell, got to the finals and played an expansion team who goalied their way past Winnipeg, and then got a star perfomance from Devante Smith Pelley who washed out of the league 3 weeks later. Then they win, and lose their coach and haven't been a threat since nor have tried really hard to be one.

The Capitals are being "competitive" while building for the future. I'm not sure what is confusing.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, I don't think FSG catches near enough shit. They're probably happy as pigs in shit cuz Dubas and Sullivan act as lightning rods when they've been dogshit since taking over.

Got zero faith in them as an ownership group. This team's gonna have to luck into some serious draft winnings in order to short shit out, and it'll probably take a decade.
My big fear with FSG is that they're going to try to run this team like the Leafs or another O6 team and there's just no way the Pittsburgh market can handle that, as much as we'd like to think so.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
you don't think it's weird to constantly talk about how everyone but you and pixies are happy is weird?

If that's how that comes off then that's my mistake. But no I'm not trying to like... gatekeep misery here lol

I suppose on top of very much not looking forward to this... I sort of get the impression that some are borderline dancing on the graves of these guys. And that maybe bothers me a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad