GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I dunno. Everyone seems awfully excited to get drag-ass bums like Hayes on this team because that second rounder is huge for "the rebuild." Meanwhile I just watched Crosby have a great season at like 37 and just have to shake my head at everyone being giddy about the ship slipping under the waves while the band is still playing at least mostly in tune.
Sid was really the only truly great player last season. Think about what we actually need to be competitive. Think about how we're supposed to get all of that. I just don't think being competitive, like TRULY competitive, is a possibility this season. So I think people are happy to have them get assets because it's at least indicative that the people in charge agree (that we're not good enough and should acquire assets instead of bleed more off).

I think Dubas would probably do a true sell off if he was allowed.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Actually it's mostly the miserable f***s who know what's coming and are, hence, miserable.

It's the oddly cheery ones pumping their fists for years of trash-laden rosters and magic beans 2nd round picks that confuse me.

I'll tell you the Anaheim Ducks fans absolutely love going to their games and watching their youth get absolutely unloaded on every night.

It's so fun.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I haven’t really caught the ones on the other side of the fence recently so my mistake if there are those. Both are ridiculous in my eyes.

I see a bunch that have known this was coming for awhile and we are finally starting to enter into those times.

Let’s face it, it would have taken a magician of a GM to outmaneuver this. Literally every move had to be perfect to overcome our main players getting old and having no draft picks to back them up.

I just think things are greatly overblown because of the above scenario. Other teams have other players to fall back on but here, the GM’s had to hit on every possible player.

(Not saying I like any of the recent GM’s, just that they were put into a no win situation unless they won a Stanley cup)

True. And I assume that's why he makes like 7M a year.

I just wish he'd have tried a little harder. More urgency. Made some hard but necessary decisions.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I dunno. Everyone seems awfully excited to get drag-ass bums like Hayes on this team because that second rounder is huge for "the rebuild." Meanwhile I just watched Crosby have a great season at like 37 and just have to shake my head at everyone being giddy about the ship slipping under the waves while the band is still playing at least mostly in tune.
I dunno mate. Malkin and Letang looked old a lot last year.

Like good for their age and cap hit. But idk if the band is in tune anymore.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Actually it's mostly the miserable f***s who know what's coming and are, hence, miserable.

It's the oddly cheery ones pumping their fists for years of trash-laden rosters and magic beans 2nd round picks that confuse me.

I mean, the rose colored glasses that can find a strand of hope out of the worst possible scenarios instead of calling it what it truly is and label those/calling out those 'Les Misérables for complaining/whining.

Les Miserable is what Les Miserable does....

It's like it is their "first time" being in a miserable scenario around other people.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't get the whole "Ooooo the team's gonna be so bad, just you wait!" stuff, man. It's such a hollow threat. Oh jeez, my team's gonna be playing terrible hockey and having zero shot at competing? Have you been absent the past half decade? lmao

I cheered on the XGen Pens when Aubin and Caron were the goalies, and the best forwards they had would be like 3rd liners in WBS. There's still enjoyment to be had, it's still hockey. I've been a Bills fan for my whole life and I'm approaching 40, so I got to enjoy all four of those back to back to back to back Super Bowl losses. I know what it's like to watch some truly awful teams and it's whatever. It's still sports. You don't have expectations and that takes a lot of the annoyance/stress out of watching. You watch to follow prospects' progress, you watch the race for the top pick, etc. This team's settled into being a loser for years now but without the benefit of the picks/prospects that come with it. You think there's any difference between watching a marginal WC team with zero shot at a deep playoff run and a team accumulating top-3 or top-5 picks? I'll agree to disagree. Losing's losing.

If it sucks that bad, I won't watch. I barely do anymore anyway thanks to Sullivan's coaching. Call me a bad fan all you want but there's no badge of honor for being miserable for 82 games a season. :laugh: You're just a schmuck if you force yourself to keep watching something that you viscerally do not enjoy at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm surprised it happened as quickly as it did, but I honestly think the Penguins already regret the 2022 decisions to re-sign Letang and Malkin. That's something I give Dubas credit for, he could have waited a hell of a lot longer to say "okay, playtime is over" than what he did.

Chicago last made the playoffs in 2017 yet didn't start the rebuild until 2021.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Sid was really the only truly great player last season. Think about what we actually need to be competitive. Think about how we're supposed to get all of that. I just don't think being competitive, like TRULY competitive, is a possibility this season. So I think people are happy to have them get assets because it's at least indicative that the people in charge agree (that we're not good enough and should acquire assets instead of bleed more off).

Capitals just acquired a top four defenseman they can get a 1st for, a top 9 winger they can return a 2nd for, and a 25 year old former top 5 overall center for a 2nd, 3rd, Nick Jensen and Darcy Kuemper.

1719875869372.png

They also have this heading into next draft.

We have this.

1719875912470-png.891051

Let's see where we are at to finish the season. Bet Washington has more picks than us.

Attachments

• 1719875898618.png
    1719875898618.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1719875912470.png
    1719875912470.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 2

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

It's too late now, sure. I guess my thing is that over the last five years it feels like this team planned about as well as Disney did for the new SW movies. And that's a shame and a disservice to the players that have made the last like 20 years awesome.

Reactions: Sideline

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get the whole "Ooooo the team's gonna be so bad, just you wait!" stuff, man. It's such a hollow threat. Oh jeez, my team's gonna be playing terrible hockey and having zero shot at competing? Have you been absent the past half decade? lmao

I cheered on the XGen Pens when Aubin and Caron were the goalies, and the best forwards they had would be like 3rd liners in WBS. There's still enjoyment to be had, it's still hockey. I've been a Bills fan for my whole life and I'm approaching 40, so I got to enjoy all four of those back to back to back to back Super Bowl losses. I know what it's like to watch some truly awful teams and it's whatever. It's still sports. You don't have expectations and that takes a lot of the annoyance/stress out of watching. You watch to follow prospects' progress, you watch the race for the top pick, etc. This team's settled into being a loser for years now but without the benefit of the picks/prospects that come with it. You think there's any difference between watching a marginal WC team with zero shot at a deep playoff run and a team accumulating top-3 or top-5 picks? I'll agree to disagree. Losing's losing.

If it sucks that bad, I won't watch. I barely do anymore anyway thanks to Sullivan's coaching. Call me a bad fan all you want but there's no badge of honor for being miserable for 82 games a season. :laugh: You're just a schmuck if you force yourself to keep watching something that you viscerally do not enjoy at all.

This is exactly why I don't get mad about watching the Pirates. I want them to do well, but I'm not expecting them to be a top tier contender. So when people are spazzing out saying "this team is 37-40, everyone should be fired!", I'm like "isn't this basically just what this team is?".

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm surprised it happened as quickly as it did, but I honestly think the Penguins already regret the 2022 decisions to re-sign Letang and Malkin. That's something I give Dubas credit for, he could have waited a hell of a lot longer to say "okay, playtime is over" than what he did.

I've been lurking a good bit leading up to UFA opening and a lot of people around here speak as tho Dubas is the one who re-signed them, too

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
True. And I assume that's why he makes like 7M a year.

I just wish he'd have tried a little harder. More urgency. Made some hard but necessary decisions.
Try harder? Dubas brough in EK, pretty clear a vote of confidence for the core. When they subsequently fell flat on their face, Dubas realized this team in it's current incarnation was done, and rightfully so.

He gave them a huge opportunity and they soiled the bed. Try harder?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
What are you asking for then? Would you prefer they get no picks, pretend harder, and get 9th or 10th again?
Best case scenario they sneak in and lose in R1 to one of the beasts of the East.
What's the goal of this season? To make Crosby look as good as possible at 37?

I get it from an entertainment perspective. But if one cares about the long term health of the organization at all, then they should be glad Dubas is refilling the cupboards.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

A lot of people that are saying we are making the right moves don't watch anymore. It's pretty obvious.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's too late now, sure. I guess my thing is that over the last five years it feels like this team planned about as well as Disney did for the new SW movies. And that's a shame and a disservice to the players that have made the last like 20 years awesome.

I think another factor here is having 2 owners and 3 GMs in like 4 years didn't help things.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The time to be furious with the direction and demand significant, trajectory-altering changes was after the Habs play-in or after Jarry shit the bed in spectacular fashion against the Isles in 2021. We're way beyond the event horizon now, just ride this thing out. /shrug

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The time to be furious with the direction and demand significant, trajectory-altering changes was after the Habs play-in or after Jarry shit the bed in spectacular fashion against the Isles in 2021. We're way beyond the event horizon now, just ride this thing out. /shrug

Is anyone furious?

I'm just saying Kyle Dubas is an awful GM because he is and people think I'm furious for some reason.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Malkin and Letang are clearly sliding but both were right in the range of "perfectly acceptable to downright good" at their respective roles last season.
Don’t disagree but don’t think you can win a cup with them in those roles. I do think you can finish middle of the pack, which is what the Penguins did. So I agree on “perfectly acceptable” but idk what else the Pens can do if they want non purgatory results.

IMO it had to be either burn the boats and try to contend for a Cup by doing crazy shit.

Or take the steps we’ve seen since the TDL.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

I don’t like Letang’s contract anymore, especially with Karlsson, but I don’t regret Malkins at all. He is still making less than his play is worth. I think the biggest regret that summer is getting rid of all your best mid 20s talent in Rodrigues, Matheson and Marino for nothing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
gonna be so bad, just you wait!" stuff, man. It's such a hollow threat. Oh jeez, my team's gonna be playing terrible hockey and having zero shot at competing? Have you been absent the past half decade? lmao

If it sucks that bad, I won't watch. I barely do
For real. We can suck, but we don't have to be unbearable to watch. And a large part of that doesn't come down to the roster, it comes down to the organization and the coaching staff. Most everyone loves watching a scrappy underdog trying to compete with likeable young kids getting a shot for cheap tickets.

Fewer want to watch a boring team of entitled vets lose while run by an organization that thinks it's still competing and prices things accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad