Confirmed with Link: Sharks name Ryane Clowe Assistant General Manager

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
As much as I love Clowe, hate that this is the way the org is still operating. Former teammate of Grier and worked right with him in NYR.
I generally agree with the "old Sharks network" issues, but at least we did bring in two new coaches with outside experience (lots of it in the case of Houda). Clowe also has outside experience, at least.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
As much as I love Clowe, hate that this is the way the org is still operating. Former teammate of Grier and worked right with him in NYR.

Hoping some day we can see someone with a technical background and experience climbing the ranks getting a position like this in the sharks org.
I mean , the entire coaching staff is that. Clowe has worked in other organizations "working his way up".

All orgs take care of their own and they should, just don't make it detrimental

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Hoping some day we can see someone with a technical background and experience climbing the ranks getting a position like this in the sharks org.
I'm ok with it as long as there is a track record behind them. Clowe has done the work on the bench in the NHL and as a head coach in the ECHL, as well as special adviser for the Rangers. It would be interesting to see what his role actually entails.

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

I don't think they ever overlapped in their previous jobs (except for three years as players with the Sharks), even though they each were in the same places within close proximity of one another (Grier took over as a Devils assistant coach after Clowe stepped down, and Clowe joined the Rangers' front office as an advisor only after Grier took the reigns with the Sharks, I believe).

I agree that nepotism can be pretty gross in the NHL (and other fields, of course), but Clowe seemed to be something of a rising star in the coaching ranks when he had to step back, so I like to think he can bring some serious acumen to this role, as well, and good for the Sharks if they can use their history with Clowe (Grier's included) to take advantage of a tough situation for him.

He’s coached already. Not here. I’m guessing the physical aspects are too much for him. I’m just guessing.
Definitely less dangerous in a press box than on the bench--no swinging sticks or flying pucks for him to worry about!

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Serious question:

What is Ryane Clowe qualification for the job Assistant General Manager position? One of my favorite players in Sharks history, no doubt, but is this hiring a buddy doing another buddy a favor and let him learn on the job or he has skills that he brings to the table that I'm not aware of?

Grier has been doing an admirable job, that we all can agree. But, he's only as good as the people around supporting him.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Serious question:

What is Ryane Clowe qualification for the job Assistant General Manager position? One of my favorite players in Sharks history, no doubt, but is this hiring a buddy doing another buddy a favor and let him learn on the job or he has skills that he brings to the table that I'm not aware of?

Grier has been doing an admirable job, that we all can agree. But, he's only as good as the people around supporting him.
Two seasons as an NHL assistant coach, one season as an ECHL head coach, three years as a consultant and advisor to the Rangers.

I don't know how to evaluate his quality as an executive, but he does have experience.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Serious question:

Clowe has experience, but I feel like this was more of a ''hire someone you are familiar with'' kind of a situation.
Grier has a lot of responsibility and wants someone he knows, he trusts and can help him achieve his goal.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I don't think we can evaluate whether Clowie is a "nepo hire" or fully qualified. He seemed to be doing well in the coaching ranks before it sounds like lingering concussion issues forced him out of that game. Having been a special advisor to Drury at NYR may just be old boys, or maybe he has a great hockey mind.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I don't think we can evaluate whether Clowie is a "nepo hire" or fully qualified. He seemed to be doing well in the coaching ranks before it sounds like lingering concussion issues forced him out of that game. Having been a special advisor to Drury at NYR may just be old boys, or maybe he has a great hockey mind.

Or it might just be a mix of both, a nepo hire + somewhat qualified. If his name isn't Ryane Clowe but some guy with the same resume, he would not have been hired for the position.

Reactions: themelkman

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Or it might just be a mix of both, a nepo hire + somewhat qualified. If his name isn't Ryane Clowe but some guy with the same resume, he would not have been hired for the position.
I don't even think it's a needed hire if I am honest, they have two already . With Clowes issues I wouldn't be surprised if it's a "keep working in the NHL and learn new things" job. He has experience though, it's not as if he hasn't worked in a front office capacity.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
The same could be said about Grier. He never held an GM position or assistant GM role prior to the Sharks hiring him. He was a a prep school coach for a few years, a scout for the Blackhawks for a few years, an assistant coach for the Devils for two years, and then a special advisor to Drury for the Rangers for one year.

And most of the people Grier’s brought in have a personal connection to him; Quinn (BU), Holy (SJ), Weight (EDM), Marchant (EDM), Fitzgerald (worked with his brother in NJ)… then he obviously played with Patty, Joe and Clowe in San Jose.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
The same could be said about Grier. He never held an GM position or assistant GM role prior to the Sharks hiring him. He was a a prep school coach for a few years, a scout for the Blackhawks for a few years, an assistant coach for the Devils for two years, and then a special advisor to Drury for the Rangers for one year.

And most of the people Grier’s brought in have a personal connection to him; Quinn (BU), Holy (SJ), Weight (EDM), Marchant (EDM), Fitzgerald (worked with his brother in NJ)… then he obviously played with Patty, Joe and Clowe in San Jose.

At least Grier doesn't have health issues. Anyway, I don't believe it's a position that can affect the Sharks. Probably just giving the guy a chance so he can both learn and maybe show some skills, so it's win/win for everyone. I'm happy for Ryane Clowe. He gave his all.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Also, one should consider that just like the Sharks are not a preferred destination for free agents, they aren't for staff. The fact that Clowe knows SJ would have helped make him come.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I haven't been following Clowe's post-Sharks career but I'm not super duper surprised by this

I think Clowe was the type of player GMMG is desperately trying to find right now, so if Clowe can help identify, evaluate and maybe even help mentor players like him, he'll be very helpful

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Fan service hires

I haven't been following Clowe's post-Sharks career but I'm not super duper surprised by this

I think Clowe was the type of player GMMG is desperately trying to find right now, so if Clowe can help identify, evaluate and maybe even help mentor players like him, he'll be very helpful
If this was his capacity, he'd be part of Player Development like Marleau, Ricci, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad