GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The Penguins still have about $6 million in cap space that they're not just going to sit on going into the year. I don't know how they're going to spend that in UFA, the class is pretty barren at this point and the only need the Penguins have is a top-6 LW, but they're going to spend that money.

I wouldn't rule out the Penguins trying to help out the cap situation of another team like Colorado to get a good piece for a depreciated value, just like they did with Smith last year. I don't know who exactly fits that, though.
Depends. If they use 4-5m of that then they're thinking of pushing for the playoffs and that means wasting assets to trade for a contract from a team since the free agent pool is barren now.

That would be a mistake to use up. Because at the deadline they can leverage cap space for more picks and prospects as an intermediary for 1 more retention slot left (Petry and Smith) and cap space to dump to so a contender can add.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've already mentioned Robertson's name a bunch of times, but another aspect that I think makes it worthwhile to mention him: the Leafs have literally no cap space at this point after all of the free agent signings they've made so far, to the point where I don't think they can afford to re-sign Robertson.

I'd honestly throw an offersheet at Robertson, something like 1 year at $2.2 million. That compensation is only a 3rd round pick, which the Penguins have and can do, and I bet you can trade Robertson for more down the line than just that 3rd rounder.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Hayes is slower than Carter with a worse shot. I don't know how that's going to look better under Sullivan - but hell...let's wait and see. Dude looked like absolute trash for a while now. He also costs more.

I think he's a downgrade but we might be splitting hairs. Not that it matters.
Oh Hayes is a massive downgrade for sure. It was a miracle Berube got what he did out of him. Bannister pushed a more up tempo play and Hayes suffered a lot in that system.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
If I'm Dubas I'm going to Colorado and Washington and asking how I can help their cap troubles... in return for a little something, of course.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think any significant moves remain in free agency for the Pens. Any additional notable moves will now be via trade or the rare possibility of an offer sheet.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jake to Bunting is a pretty big downgrade
Not that I expect him to keep it up, but Bunting was fine since coming over at near a PPG. I wouldn't be surprised to see it only end up being like a 15pt drop off from what Jake was doing in his final seasons here with the opportunity given to Bunting and his linemates, etc. Much like how I think Rust's production is elevated.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We are absolutely in the direction that is "compete now as best we can, build for tomorrow". Evidence: 2nd with Hayes. 2nd + 5th for Smith. Trade Jake for a haul. Sign low term fill ins.

If anything, it's the people whining about "direction" and "plans" that have no idea what they want. They are like cranky toddlers throwing tantrums that need a nap.
It's basically "continue to pretend like FSG wants, while doing some shit we actually need to do on the side"

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not that I expect him to keep it up, but Bunting was fine since coming over at near a PPG. I wouldn't be surprised to see it only end up being like a 15pt drop off from what Jake was doing in his final seasons here with the opportunity given to Bunting and his linemates, etc. Much like how I think Rust's production is elevated.
Bunting's career high was 63 points and that was several years ago now.

He played great since coming over but I dunno. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's just a 40 or 50 point guy this year which would be a massive offensive drop off from Jake even though Bunting brings other elements to the table aside from just scoring.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Bunting's career high was 63 points and that was several years ago now.

He played great since coming over but I dunno. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's just a 40 or 50 point guy this year which would be a massive offensive drop off from Jake even though Bunting brings other elements to the table aside from just scoring.
Definitely possible, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. :laugh: This team can say they're gonna try and field a competitive team while Sid's still here but they're making moves bottom feeders make while they lick their wounds and try to build through the draft.

Reactions: Pancakes

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Big note: If it took retention to get out of Smith - no way Rakell or Graves are moving.
I don't think moving Smith needed retention. I think it increased the return. When I look at what Debrusk just got in Vancouver I can't imagine Rakell has no value either; specially if the Penguins take some money back.

Graves, yeah, that's a boat anchor.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Big note: If it took retention to get out of Smith - no way Rakell or Graves are moving.
You're looking at this from the wrong angle. It took retention to get a positive asset for Smith. I'd wager we could have done this without retention but it would have been less of a return.

But yeah, I think we're stuck with Rak and Graves. Maybe with Graves, you find a team that feels like they missed out on him last year that still believes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's basically "continue to pretend like FSG wants, while doing some shit we actually need to do on the side"

Who is being convinced this roster is competitive next year?

Definitely possible, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. :laugh: This team can say they're gonna try and field a competitive team while Sid's still here but they're making moves bottom feeders make while they lick their wounds and try to build through the draft.

Sid's not going to be here lol. Him not being signed yet is a huge red flag.

• Haha
Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bunting is a clear downgrade on Guentzel without a doubt, but I also think the top line isn't going to be much worse without Guentzel than it was with Guentzel. Now this really changes if Crosby falls off, but Crosby has never had any issues maintaining an elite top line with or without Guentzel.

I think the roster today is effectively the same as the roster last year. Hayes, Grzelcyk and Beauvillier in and Carter, POJ and Smith out seems mostly like a lateral move. This team isn't done though, since they do have $6 million in cap space left. But all they've done so far this off-season is maintain the team as-is while getting 2 2nds out of it IMO.

I think this reinforces even more that the Leafs don't have money for Robertson.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Man our forward group is gonna be sloooooow this year too.

Good thing Sully's system isn't built on outskating the other team
Listen while I think Beauvillier is a waste and didn't feel that maybe 3yrs ago when most of us would be thrilled to add him, the one thing he's not is slow. He's a very quick skater. Just insanely inconsistent and invisible when he is. He gives me Heinen flashbacks and I'm still not recovered from that idiotic usage by Sullivan. But yeah the rest, Sullivan thinks he employs a system built for speed but routinely wants slow wankers in his lineup.

I don't see Beauvillier as the replacement for the RW spot Puustinen is in. He's most definitely competition for Doc for 3rd line LW and first line LW duties.

The problem here is - Beauvillier isn't going to make Sids line better defensively, Rakell does that. Doc doesn't either. Beauvillier last year in scoring roles was caved in defensively but on a line with a strong 2way player in a defensive role on his line, he was fine.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Who is being convinced this roster is competitive next year?

Sid's not going to be here lol. Him not being signed yet is a huge red flag.
If he hypothetically does decide to go play for Colorado or whoever I wonder what the haul will be for him?

A second rounder and three B prospects?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Until Dubas fills that spot some other way we have to assume that Beau is going into the top six. There's not really anybody else to try there unless they want to let DOC run with it.

There's no way they're giving that spot to Puusy. Right now it's DOC or Beau.
DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Raks
Beauviller-Hayes-Puustinen
Poulin-Eller-Acciari

I mean, whatever. It's as good as the end of last year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad