GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It's gonna rule when Bunting becomes the new Big Dad Jeff Carter and then also doesn't do anything next year, but we have to deal with the memes about how awesome he is.

Bunting? Shit man, we got Hayes less you forget lol

Hayes is slower than Carter and looks/plays older. [Yes I know he's here because of the free second rounder]

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Hey how's it going didn't ur team trade assets for a 33 year old making $11m only to miss the playoffs?

The Caps are making these moves with the context that they actually have an incredibly strong forward prospect pool. They took some gambles sure but they did so while getting younger and while not giving up any important prospects or future picks
Granlund and his contract? Petry and Desmith? Assets? Aren't you adorable! From a fan of team shelling out $8,500,000 for PLD for the next 7 years? :laugh: Speaking of playoffs, that 8 day dine and dash the Caps delivered versus the Rangers was mighty impressive. Ovi was inspiring.
Collected 2 2nds as well.

Funny, this place was always foaming at the mouth for cap space. Now we have it...and people are still whiny
This surprises you?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
Because you're assessing bros and my guys and chills and cuz's online.

I just pointed out how awful the team looks, the trade assessment, and what I think we should do going forward. As a fan of the Penguins - I'd genuinely ask what point of optimism or realism is not precluded by the pessimistic situation we're in?

I'm totally okay with this team sucking. I'm befuddled by anyone who thinks they don't and who thinks the moves we made are competitive ones lol
Why did you say Guentzel was replaced by a healthy scratch? Is Bunting a healthy scratch?

Thats wild that you're "befuddled" by anyone who thinks this team doesnt suck. What is your definition of suck? Is your definition a team who missed the playoffs by 3 points with an abysmal powerplay and a positive goal differential? I would call that pretty damn close to "mediocre" rather than sucking

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
How is adding Hayes or Beauvillier even remotely a "competing move"?
I wouldn't say they were by any means. But management seems to think so, otherwise why sign a player like Beauvillier now? As for Hayes, go back and watch Dubas talk about that trade. Does it strike you as a move that Dubas thought was just a get-a-pick move?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I wouldn't blame Sid if he said see you later I'm going to chase one more cup. This team is gonna be horrible. Nothing has changed since last year and everybody is a year older.
If we’re awful, it would certainly be the best way to shore up our pipeline.

It would be hard to stomach, but fun to watch. If he went elsewhere and won a Cup, he won’t give a single f*** about not having that “one team legacy.”

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think he will sign too. I don't think he'll be happy when they suck ass for the final three years of his career but he'll quietly deal with it and then retire.
Do you know who Sid is? He is not going into a rocking chair waiting to die in Pittsburgh. Get rid of nostalgia.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He seems to have that never stop pushing attitude so I don’t see any reason for him to drop off.
Yeah, what would the constant be with all of our acquisitions who come in and underperform their first season after being acquired via trade?

images

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't say they were by any means. But management seems to think so, otherwise why sign a player like Beauvillier now? As for Hayes, go back and watch Dubas talk about that trade. Does it strike you as a move that Dubas thought was just a get-a-pick move?

Because if Beauvillier bounces back, you can get decent value for him as a rental.

Again, this is what all rebuilding teams do.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I would like to remind the people the Pens record for drafting 2nd rounders.....

They would be much better to gain 3rd rounders.
No they wouldn’t. Acting like some teams are better at drafting in certain rounds is not accurate. It’s a numbers game and the more picks you have, and the higher they are, the better.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I wouldn't blame Sid if he said see you later I'm going to chase one more cup. This team is gonna be horrible. Nothing has changed since last year and everybody is a year older.

One of my favorite players of all time on my favorite team.......Would love to see him on Colorado, or the Panthers, or Lightning at this point.

It's going to be pretty awful here without some moves from a completely different direction.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We somehow managed to get WORSE! WTF is those 2 signings..
Quite the youth movement , why not go for some of tje younger not qualified guys? Grelzcyk.. Come on..

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would like to remind the people the Pens record for drafting 2nd rounders.....

They would be much better to gain 3rd rounders.
I like to consider the law of percentages. After sooooooooooooooooooo many misses, there's bound to be a Robertson or Hintz or Point in our future.
The Hayes deal was 99% getting a low 2nd for next year and 1% Hayes on the team for now. There's a certain amount of irrelevancy around just how impactful Hayes will be when looked at in the context of the trade.

Beauvillier is a Heinen, Zohorna, Hino, Colin White, etc move. They didn't sign those guys with the idea that they will put us over the top and get us into the playoffs. That's a "who is cheap that can fill in on the 3rd line? Hey Beausy might bounce back, lets try him".

Question for you though - what did you legitimately want this July 1st? Knowing FULL well...the intent is to compete now with Sid and build for the future. What actual moves were you hoping for?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Being older is a good point. Their draft position stopped mattering the day after they were drafted.
Koivunen has also produced more at every level that he and Puustinen have both played.

U16 in Finland - Koivunen 93 points in 53 games, Puustinen 39 in 42

Koivunen jumped U17 and went right to U18, where he had 71 points in 37 games. Puustinen had 33 points in 44 games in his U18 season, which came after a full U17 season.

U20 in Finland - Koivunen 49 points in 38 games, Puustinen 43 in 53.

Puustinen played parts of three seasons in Liiga - 94 points in 162 games.

Koivunen played parts of three seasons in Liiga - 113 points in 164 games, with a true breakout year this year at almost a point per game and where he finished 6th in the league in scoring. The players ahead of him were all 25 or older.

Reactions: Ulf5 and Ryder71

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't mind the direction we're taking, but we're sure as shit not going to be all that competitive with the roster we're currently employing.

The roster was already bad last year and is arguably worse now than it was last year.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I like to consider the law of percentages. After sooooooooooooooooooo many misses, there's bound to be a Robertson or Hintz or Point in our future.

The Hayes deal was 99% getting a low 2nd for next year and 1% Hayes on the team for now. There's a certain amount of irrelevancy around just how impactful Hayes will be when looked at in the context of the trade.

Beauvillier is a Heinen, Zohorna, Hino, Colin White, etc move. They didn't sign those guys with the idea that they will put us over the top and get us into the playoffs. That's a "who is cheap that can fill in on the 3rd line? Hey Beausy might bounce back, lets try him".

Question for you though - what did you legitimately want this July 1st? Knowing FULL well...the intent is to compete now with Sid and build for the future. What actual moves were you hoping for?
I don’t believe that. Sully is going to feed that guy minutes. It’s everything he loves in a player. Old and slow.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't mind the direction we're taking, but we're sure as shit not going to be all that competitive with the roster we're currently employing.

The roster was already bad last year and is arguably worse now than it was last year.
I think we're gonna add another good piece to the top six, we'll see. But we undoubtedly have the cap to do so.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I was hoping for getting rid of what didn't work on this roster-- Graves, Accairi, Smith (thank god), Jarry, etc.-- and using that cap space more effectively for either free agents or to acquire more assets. I was also hoping to abandon this futile "speed-based" system we claim we play and move more towards slower, physical styles of play that better suit what our core can actually do.

And again, these moves are fine in a vacuum. I have no problem with AB or G-Dog as our signings, but why them and why not internal options for cheaper?

But mostly, I remain skeptical that this coaching staff can do either a rebuild or a compete. I think they're actually going to do more harm than good because they'll keep us treading water but not good enough to get into the playoffs. And at the same time, we'll keep picking in the mid-1st and not getting a chance to get some real talent.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we are trying to get a top 5 pick?

Reactions: Pancakes

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't hold my breath for a top 6 LW signing. Beauvillier was that signing. They've made it a competition between O'Connor and Beauvillier for that role of L1 LW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad