GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The team took on a lame duck for a 2nd that'll probably be in the 40 range. They signed two warm bodies--not good players, of course, but NHLers--to one year, dirt cheap deals. The past 24ish hours could've gone a whole lot worse.

This is pretty much what terrible teams do. They fill their roster with warm bodies and marginal NHL talent and try to acquire picks/prospects while they hunker down and wait for top-3 picks to roll in and hope they land a legit franchise building block.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Pens have not formally announced the Matt Grzylyck signing.

Smith trade, Beauvillier, and the depth signings have all been formally announced.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, what would the constant be with all of our acquisitions who come in and underperform their first season after being acquired via trade?

images

I’m a lil optimistic. Dubas’s message was we might not be a playoff team anymore.

That message might be a reality check to some of our players or relieve some mental pressure. We still were only an average PP away from playoffs so we’ll see.

We’re on the downslope so I’m not as emotionally invested now. I just want to see the team play like a Bunting or a Hornqvist and leave it all on the ice. I enjoy that type of game. Results don’t mean as much anymore.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't mind the direction we're taking, but we're sure as shit not going to be all that competitive with the roster we're currently employing.

The roster was already bad last year and is arguably worse now than it was last year.
Is it though? I DO expect a 1LW to still be brought it so for discussion sake, lets say it's Skinner.

Skinner-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Eller-Beauvillier/Puustinen
Poulin-Hayes-Acciari

Pettersson-EK
Gryz-Letang
Graves-JSI

TJ-Neds

vs

Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-Rakell
DOC-Eller-Harkins
Nieto-Carter-Accirai

Pettersson-EK
Graves-Letang
POJ-Rudwedel

TJ-Neds

Is it really that much worse? If it is at all? That team last year nearly made the PP.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Beauvillier-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Hayes-Puustinen
Accari-Eller-Nieto

Something like that at the moment? That's a very bad forward group.

If they use their remaining cap space to add a Skinner or someone like that then it could be an adequate forward group but otherwise it looks pretty dreadful. There's not enough in the top six and the bottom six while probably improved from last year (just bc Carter was so f-ing bad) is still pretty bad.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't say they were by any means. But management seems to think so, otherwise why sign a player like Beauvillier now? As for Hayes, go back and watch Dubas talk about that trade. Does it strike you as a move that Dubas thought was just a get-a-pick move?
I guarantee you internally they got Beauvillier to be L1 for Sid. He's like a busted ass Bunting wannabe for puck retrieval and speed but inconsistent and doesn't have that grit that Bunting does, or rather not as much as him. This is Sullivan wanting a bloke he's seen vs the Isles burning his dumb ass and thinking hey I got an idea Kyle...

• Haha
Reactions: Kristopher Letang

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Why did you say Guentzel was replaced by a healthy scratch? Is Bunting a healthy scratch?

Thats wild that you're "befuddled" by anyone who thinks this team doesnt suck. What is your definition of suck? Is your definition a team who missed the playoffs by 3 points with an abysmal powerplay and a positive goal differential? I would call that pretty damn close to "mediocre" rather than sucking

Oh boy.

A) Bunting came back in the Guentzel trade that was focused on futures and did not replace him - otherwise you'd see him on line 1. That spot belongs to a spastic low-offensive-upside Drew O'Connor.

B) I admire your attitude if you think the team that missed the playoffs "by 3 points" was just right there in it. Because we were never in it, all year. The year prior either. Trends are a thing - and we are trending down with a shit coach and shit system propped up by aging players (that isn't replacing ANY of that with anything better or different). Even on the absolute minuscule chance we made it last year, we'd be getting bounced in 4 games. Thinking otherwise would have been ridiculous based on the play of the club AND their abilities.

We are not scoring enough, not defending enough, and have a system that pushes goalies to be good to great - our goalies are neither good nor great. Our team has almost no offensive talent or depth - a fact that's been true even when Guentzel WAS here (we needed additional scoring when Guentzel was here). Now he's gone. It was no mystery our depth last year were not going to score enough, well it got worse.

Just do your own math, then couple it with the teams around us - and look at a greater picture league wide. Scoring is way up, and we are trending downward. Doesn't take some sort of genius to see where that lands you as an organization. [Especially one not keen on defense or physical play]

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Is it though? I DO expect a 1LW to still be brought it so for discussion sake, lets say it's Skinner.

Skinner-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Poulin-Hayes-Acciari

Pettersson-EK
Gryz-Letang
Graves-JSI

TJ-Neds

vs

Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-Rakell
DOC-Eller-Harkins
Nieto-Carter-Accirai

Pettersson-EK
Graves-Letang
POJ-Rudwedel

TJ-Neds

Is it really that much worse? If it is at all? That team last year nearly made the PP.
If they add a legit top six forward then possibly. Right now there's a huge hole in the top six that i don't think Beauvillier adequately fills.

Even if they do add a top sixer, I still just don't know. The bottom six still looks pretty bad and unless Bunting/Rakell rebound then the top six is pretty bad too. Bunting was great in his brief time here but we see that all the time with trades. We'll see if he can actually maintain anywhere near that level of play over a full season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they add a legit top six forward then possibly. Right now there's a huge hole in the top six that i don't think Beauvillier adequately fills.

Even if they do add a top sixer, I still just don't know. The bottom six still looks pretty bad and unless Bunting/Rakell rebound then the top six is pretty bad too. Bunting was great in his brief time here but we see that all the time with trades. We'll see if he can actually maintain anywhere near that level of play over a full season.
I think it's a little silly to presume Beau was brought in to be 1LW.

Come on now people.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins still have about $6 million in cap space that they're not just going to sit on going into the year. I don't know how they're going to spend that in UFA, the class is pretty barren at this point and the only need the Penguins have is a top-6 LW, but they're going to spend that money.

I wouldn't rule out the Penguins trying to help out the cap situation of another team like Colorado to get a good piece for a depreciated value, just like they did with Smith last year. I don't know who exactly fits that, though.

Reactions: Sideline

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
We somehow managed to get WORSE! WTF is those 2 signings..
Quite the youth movement , why not go for some of tje younger not qualified guys? Grelzcyk.. Come on..
as i have said, there was no way this team would be better than last year's team (if we didn't fire sully) that's why i wanted to keep next year's first, and without high picks the chance of getting the team turned around would be slim to none.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Penguins still have about $6 million in cap space that they're not just going to sit on going into the year. I don't know how they're going to spend that in UFA, the class is pretty barren at this point and the only need the Penguins have is a top-6 LW, but they're going to spend that money.

I wouldn't rule out the Penguins trying to help out the cap situation of another team like Colorado to get a good piece for a depreciated value, just like they did with Smith last year. I don't know who exactly fits that, though.

Caps are 14 mil over too. Although Backstrom LTIR will take a chunk of that

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it's a little silly to presume Beau was brought in to be 1LW.

Come on now people.
Until Dubas fills that spot some other way we have to assume that Beau is going into the top six. There's not really anybody else to try there unless they want to let DOC run with it.

There's no way they're giving that spot to Puusy. Right now it's DOC or Beau.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Also we saved like, $1.5 million?

Hayes is slower than Carter with a worse shot. I don't know how that's going to look better under Sullivan - but hell...let's wait and see. Dude looked like absolute trash for a while now. He also costs more.

I think he's a downgrade but we might be splitting hairs. Not that it matters.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Expl

Skinner-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Poulin-Hayes-Acciari

Pettersson-EK
Gryz-Letang
Graves-JSI

TJ-Neds

vs

Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-Rakell
DOC-Eller-Harkins
Nieto-Carter-Accirai

Pettersson-EK
Graves-Letang
POJ-Rudwedel

TJ-Neds

I would like Skinner… But, explain to me why Skinner would sign here over Edmonton or Toronto?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad