Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
:laugh:

His iron man streak matters more to him than being rested for the playoffs? How would you know how his body feels? How do you know he's not rested and feeling fresh? Unless you've seen him limping around after games or something I don't know how a poster on a message forum can come to this conclusion :help:

He does take those gamely ice baths ;)

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Marleau is a selfish person to be honest. His Iron Man streak matters more to him than being rested for the playoffs. He gets to dictate which position he plays and avoids C because of the increased defensive responsibilities.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him demand to play out next year. I can't see Babcock healthy scratching him no matter how bad his play gets.
do you have proof to back this up? Or are you simply attacking someone's character based on your assumption?

Reactions: ChuckWoods

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Please highlight the part where I said anything about a contract. I brought up his streak and reluctance to play C. If the best thing for the team is for him to sit a few games to be fresh for the playoffs, he needs to sit instead of worrying about his streak. If he looks worse next year, he's going to need to sit to stay fresh and look passable. Demanding to play all 82 games and hurt the lineup to keep a little streak alive is absolutely selfish.

You're usually a good poster Chuck, I don't understand why you need to strawman arguments that no one made to defend Marleau's honor.

I just dont understand how you cant comprehend that this is also contract related.

Youre calling him selfish for wanting to play.

Players want to play for their own will and for the teams that honoured them a contract.

Calling him selfish because he hasnt mentally mailed it in yet is rediculous.

Maybe he retires this offseason because he does understand he cant keep up and this isnt a discussion next year?

He wont play if he doesnt believe he can keep up. But if he does, he will want to honour his contract and of course be in the every day lineup while doing so.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
:laugh:

His iron man streak matters more to him than being rested for the playoffs? How would you know how his body feels? How do you know he's not rested and feeling fresh? Unless you've seen him limping around after games or something I don't know how a poster on a message forum can come to this conclusion :help:

Because he's noticeably slow and tired on the ice. He lost his skills a while ago but he at least used to hustle earlier in the year. He's one of the worst for giving up on plays the last few games now.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Because he's noticeably slow and tired on the ice. He lost his skills a while ago but he at least used to hustle earlier in the year. He's one of the worst for giving up on plays the last few games now.
I don't agree with that. He's lost a step and hasn't been effective but in my opinion its not for lack of effort.

His minutes are down over 2 minutes a game in the playoffs vs the regular season. Now if he was complaining about that, THAT would be selfish.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marleau hasn’t been super noticeable, but when you focus on him, I feel likes he’s still doing great things that go unnoticed. He’s a big body, and he’s using it to win a lot of board battles, and is pressuring the defense well.

I used to detest lupul because he used to coast into corners and time himself so he would make it just in time that he didn’t have to engage physically. And if he did go into a scrum, he’s do little crosschecks that Johnny gaudreau might not even notice.

I may not want marleau on next years roster (for cap reasons) but I think he’s been good in this series.

Reactions: MyBudJT

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would you do lucic and 8th for kadri and zaitsev?

Not even a little bit. Kadri is only worth a little bit less than 8th on his own, and Zaitsev is a 1st++ more valuable than Lucic.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not even a little bit. Kadri is only worth a little bit less than 8th on his own, and Zaitsev is a 1st++ more valuable than Lucic.

I never thought I'd write these words but I'm not sure I want to trade Zaitsev

The guys taking the best competition in the playoffs and doing a creditable job

That's ******* useful even if I hold my breath every time he touches the puck

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

He has looked a lot better beside muzzin. Was thinking same thing

Then I thought of his cap hit and lil beside muzzin could work too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'm not sure I'd want a kid like Liljegren taking matchups beside Muzzin yet

That's a tough job and I think that's where Muzzin and his partners best value to the team would lie

That really needs to be Zaitsev or someone similar, or preferably better

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Haven’t heard any rumours about Hamilton resigning with the hurricanes so maybe
Muzzin, Kadri, 3rd
For
Hamilton, 1rst
There’s Reilly, Dermott, Rosen and possibly Sandin on the left side and only Zaitsev on the right.
I do like Kadri but his lack of discipline is going to, if it already hasn’t, hurt his trade value. He’s on a good contract and he’s a good player but his next suspension might make him an unmovable asset. I don’t, unfortunately, have much faith that it won’t happen again so they should consider it while it’s still possible.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'm not talking about his contract, I'm talking about his ice time. If his play falls even lower than it already has, we will easily have 12+ skaters who are better than him. Is he willing to sit in the pressbox most of the year and give up his little streak? He apparently gets to tell Babcock whether he rests or not based on this year.
Doesn’t the coach dictate who plays and doesn’t? Maybe Babcock never asked him to sit. Unless something was said that I never heard about.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

after the playoffs is the best time to trade him if possible, his contracts a anchor and he's played better of late, I'd get out while the getting's good.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not sure I'd want a kid like Liljegren taking matchups beside Muzzin yet

That's a tough job and I think that's where Muzzin and his partners best value to the team would lie

That really needs to be Zaitsev or someone similar, or preferably better
I'd still go Muzzin-Rielly as a heavy-duty top pairing. Frees us up for a Sandin-Dermott second pairing and Rosén-Liljegren on the third.

We might very well find ourselves in a position where these are our top six d-men.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Only forward I'd look at to bring in is ferland if cap hit is decent...other then that leave it alone.

I'm still huge on trouba, #1 choice to play with rielly, would make huge favourites but what about the big ufa Myers also? Cap hit wont be bad and has to be better then hainsey??

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Only forward I'd look at to bring in is ferland if cap hit is decent...other then that leave it alone.

I'm still huge on trouba, #1 choice to play with rielly, would make huge favourites but what about the big ufa Myers also? Cap hit wont be bad and has to be better then hainsey??

Jets fan hate Myers. They couldnt be happier to see him gone.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd still go Muzzin-Rielly as a heavy-duty top pairing. Frees us up for a Sandin-Dermott second pairing and Rosén-Liljegren on the third.

We might very well find ourselves in a position where these are our top six d-men.

It's possible

Babcock has played a lot of kids in his lineup here before but 2 pure rookies in his top 6, plus Rosen who also has very limited NHL experience is a risk

It's been awhile since the Leafs even contemplated something that aggressive

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's an interesting issue.

He has looked great with Muzzin. Only issue if course is that if Muzzon walks after next year we'd have to hope they can find him a new partner to have chemistry with

Reactions: aingefan and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He has looked great with Muzzin. Only issue if course is that if Muzzon walks after next year we'd have to hope they can find him a new partner to have chemistry with

And that limited NTC kicks in this off-season

That's a lot of risk to take just looking at his contract numbers if you think about it

The only players he's seemed to mesh with are Muzzin and Marincin so it's a quandary

Reactions: Menzinger

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Iirc, he looked pretty good with Dermott.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It's possible

Babcock has played a lot of kids in his lineup here before but 2 pure rookies in his top 6, plus Rosen who also has very limited NHL experience is a risk

It's been awhile since the Leafs even contemplated something that aggressive
Many moons ago, he Leafs rushed plenty of defenseman, with results that can only be described as ‘mixed’ . Even with blue tinted glasses.
I just can’t see that much inexperience broken in all at the same time.
This is still the organization that wants to over-ripen their prospects.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Haven’t heard any rumours about Hamilton resigning with the hurricanes so maybe
Muzzin, Kadri, 3rd
For
Hamilton, 1rst
There’s Reilly, Dermott, Rosen and possibly Sandin on the left side and only Zaitsev on the right.
I do like Kadri but his lack of discipline is going to, if it already hasn’t, hurt his trade value. He’s on a good contract and he’s a good player but his next suspension might make him an unmovable asset. I don’t, unfortunately, have much faith that it won’t happen again so they should consider it while it’s still possible.

Carolina doesn't need a LHD. They pass on Muzzin.

Why talking about Hamilton resigning with Carolina? He has two more years left on his contract after this year.....

Reactions: MinJerkBen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad