Post-Game Talk: Free Agency 2023 "OH NO FOMO season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
DeBrincat’s actually one I’m not that excited about, well considering the price of course. He’s a great scorer but I don’t think he fills a specific need for us as we already have guys like Vange, Tomasino and Kemell in our pipeline.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I will add, I heard that interview with Greg this morning on my drive in. The question wasn't "where will he go", it was "where do you think the best fit is".

I think Debrincat is in Detroit very shortly, so it's a moot point.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
DeBrincat’s actually one I’m not that excited about, well considering the price of course. He’s a great scorer but I don’t think he fills a specific need for us as we already have guys like Vange, Tomasino and Kemell in our pipeline.

Nick Kieser sounds like he's just a guy making a post like us?

I wouldn't touch DeBrincat. The trade cost, the contract... it all just sounds like way too much for the player he is. Detroit is very welcome to him.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Nick Kieser sounds like he's just a guy making a post like us?

I wouldn't touch DeBrincat. The trade cost, the contract... it all just sounds like way too much for the player he is. Detroit is very welcome to him.
Right now it is just hard to tell which way GMBT will go. Is DB that kind of guy BT is looking for the next few years? I think there may be others that fit the mold better. But have been wrong a lot here lately so...

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Debrincat was willing to sign a 3-4 year deal I might see doing it, but I don't think Trotz is going to want to give him what he is probably wanting contract wise.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hope we have learned our lesson. We really need a "special" player to go down the path of 6-7-8-year contracts again IMO. And it's hard to truly know who the guys who qualify as "special" are, but I would suggest either they are a) major league-wide superstars (McDavid, Draisatl, MacKinnon types), or... b) guys who have come up within our own system, and we've gotten to know them through their ELCs, bridges, etc, and are confident as they approach UFA age that they are worth it (Josi, Rinne... Forsberg is getting a bit iffy... Saros would possibly be next in line).

Whereas guys like DeBrincat... and Joey, Ellis, Duchene... they are just "pretty good players". You don't need to lock up those kinds of guys for 8 years at big money. You also don't need to hand them NTCs either. Just walk away any time that comes up.

The counterargument of course is that, well, then nobody will sign with us. To which I say... fine? :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Any interest in Zadina? I'd pass but he is another cheap reclamation project option.
I think you'd have to know an awful lot more about what's going on with him in order to sign him. Reportedly, he won't report to the AHL - he'll just go to Europe instead.

So I don't know what's to be gained. It sounds like he needs what Cody Glass got: a full season, no pressure, no distractions, no recalls, just focus on getting his scoring touch back.

Except... completely unlike Glass... he's simply not willing to make that investment. He wants to play for another NHL team, period. And he was willing to tear up a contract that he was still owed $4.56M on to get that chance. It's pretty extreme.

I would tend to just steer clear, it sounds like a further trainwreck waiting to happen. He isn't coming at it with the kind of attitude that Glass did.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Some team like Arizona or Chicago probably already has something worked out with Zadina, anyway. He wouldn't have thrown that $4M out the door if he didn't already have something lined up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why would we trade assets for debrincat?? We had a guy that had 43 goals/86 points a year ago and we cut him.
Exactly.

DeBrincat:
21-22: 82gm-41g-37a-78pts -13 (0.50 gpg / 0.95 ppg)
22-23: 82gm-27g-39a-66pts -31 (0.33 gpg / 0.80 ppg)

Duchene:
21-22: 78gm-43g-43a-86pts +6 (0.55 gpg / 1.10 ppg)
22-23: 71gm-22g-34a-56pts +4 (0.31 gpg / 0.79 ppg)

We didn't want Duchene for 3x$8M. So why should we want DeBrincat for 8x$9M? In fact, we paid Duchene $16M to just go away. And instead we're going to trade Tomasino+1st+somethingelse for the honor of having exactly the same production out of DeBrincat? Even in terms of the age difference, DeBrincat turns 26 this year. So you're also getting him when he's 32,33,34 on the back end of that contract. And I'm pretty sure Barry plans on still being on the job 8 years from now.

Reactions: weeze and maplepred

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Exactly.

DeBrincat:

Duchene:

We didn't want Duchene for 3x$8M. So why should we want DeBrincat for 8x$9M? In fact, we paid Duchene $16M to just go away. And instead we're going to trade Tomasino+1st+somethingelse for the honor of having exactly the same production out of DeBrincat? Even in terms of the age difference, DeBrincat turns 26 this year. So you're also getting him when he's 32,33,34 on the back end of that contract. And I'm pretty sure Barry plans on still being on the job 8 years from now.
I don’t think Duchene was released for lack of production. He’s been one of our best forwards the last 2 years but trotz thought it was best to move on. Attitude, work ethic, country club mentality? Who knows? But it wasn’t his lack of production for sure

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I’m still hoping we push hard for tarasenko. He will not cost anything to acquire and could help our forward group tremendously. If his shoulder is all healed from last year I would give him a 2-3 year contract. As I said before I think we go with 3 scoring lines and his signing wouldn’t effect our young players of getting ice time and they would all get to learn from some vets who won cups and knows what it takes.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Exactly.

DeBrincat:

Duchene:

What Preds need to do about DeBrincat is remain calm. He just happens to be the best player out there unsigned this year and the Preds have available cap space. So what? Is he actually the long awaited 8 or 9 year player that will fill the Preds void? Preds have 1 chance to spend that money and it doesn’t need to be a situation where “we better sign him before somebody else does” just because he’s the best available today. This coming year is a growth year, not a cup year so I’m not sure why they need him. He’s good but is he “that guy”? He probably isn’t the guy to be the go to guy for the Preds for 8 or 9 years. Pass.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’m still hoping we push hard for tarasenko. He will not cost anything to acquire and could help our forward group tremendously. If his shoulder is all healed from last year I would give him a 2-3 year contract. As I said before I think we go with 3 scoring lines and his signing wouldn’t effect our young players of getting ice time and they would all get to learn from some vets who won cups and knows what it takes.
Tarasenko is a short-term "mercenary". Which I also think is not really part of The Plan that Trotz has been working to. I think he would still take icetime from young players. You can technically draw out our "Top 9" with Sherwood still in it today and say he can just bump Sherwood and no harm done. But in reality a coach might use him on the PP or in some situations rather than throwing Evangelista or Tomasino over the boards all the same. So in some fashion it would take some opportunity from them, even while not bumping them straight out of a spot in the lineup.

Anyway, I'd be mad :madfire: if we traded big futures for DeBrincat and signed him to a huge contract. Whereas if we picked up Tarasenko on a short-term deal like 1-2x$5-6M, I would more "huh, didn't really expect that" :huh: but not at all mad.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Doesn't really matter since Duchene doesn't play a "big" physical game. The "boy" has only missed 4 games in his 6 season career.
He's also built pretty well for his stature. He is "short"... but he's probably getting closer to 180lbs now than some of the weights listed from when he was younger. Which is solid for a guy at 5'7".

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
He's also built pretty well for his stature. He is "short"... but he's probably getting closer to 180lbs now than some of the weights listed from when he was younger. Which is solid for a guy at 5'7".
Yeah he's a lot like Blackwell was in that he plays much bigger than his size. I actually like DeBrincat but I agree with @Olderfan that it's just not the right time. It seems like every year now there is at least one top tier younger winger available for trade in the offseason. I'd rather wait until we're at a point where we need a final piece to get us over the hump to make the big move than do it now. I feel like we've had so much turnover and have so many young guys coming up we don't even really know what our weaknesses will be in the longer term.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah he's a lot like Blackwell was in that he plays much bigger than his size. I actually like DeBrincat but I agree with @Olderfan that it's just not the right time. It seems like every year now there is at least one top tier younger winger available for trade in the offseason. I'd rather wait until we're at a point where we need a final piece to get us over the hump to make the big move than do it now. I feel like we've had so much turnover and have so many young guys coming up we don't even really know what our weaknesses will be in the longer term.
That last bit about the unknown is a key factor in my mind. I said before that having Tarasenko would distort the picture of what this team is or isn't and I think the same with Debrincat only it would be worse because you're tied to him long term. Let the kids develop and make adjustments from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad