Frederik Andersen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Jack Campbell won 6 playoff games for the Leafs between the last game Andersen played for the Leafs and tonight, so of all the things to get angry about, this one is a bit of a stretch.
It's not that big of a stretch, it's a prime example of the routine failures we have suffered under broken hockey philosophy.

We ran out of town one of the hardest working and most reliable goalies in the league on a good contract, not recognizing the real problems or appreciating the position, so we could outsmart ourselves with gambles on projects like Campbell and Murray and we never recovered.

If we wanted an upgrade fine but we didn't do that, we gambled with the goalie position through our cup window instead.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not that big of a stretch, it's a prime example of the routine failures we have suffered under broken hockey philosophy.

We ran out of town one of the hardest working and most reliable goalies in the league on a good contract, not recognizing the real problems or appreciating the position, so we could outsmart ourselves with gambles on projects like Campbell and Murray and we never recovered.

If we wanted an upgrade fine but we didn't do that, we gambled with the goalie position through our cup window instead.

I am as hard on the Leafs as anyone. But Freddie Andersen still playing NHL games shouldn’t be something to beat them up over.

Carolina ran a three goalie rotation with Anttii Raanta and Russian rookie Pytor Kochetkov because Andersen isn’t really a starter anymore. Not so different than a Samsonov, Murray and Woll.

Reactions: Smif

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
He was very inconsistent.

Nobody cares he stole games, it's not like Toronto is icing an awful team. He needed to steal SERIES, he didn't do that so he's gone.

He's having success on the best defensive team in the NHL, good for him, but if he was that great of a goalie, Toronto would've kept him.

He was another goalie that fluctuated in Toronto. There's a reason the team was 0/4 in 1st rounds with him and it wasn't because they lost 4 games 1-0 in triple OT. His last year he was .895 with a 3 gaa, says it all.
Check his save percentage and games played for six straight years across two bad teams before Dubie and Keefe came to town. It doesn't get more consistent than that.

Reactions: Wendelstache

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I am as hard on the Leafs as anyone. But Freddie Andersen still playing NHL games shouldn’t be something to beat them up over.

Carolina ran a three goalie rotation with Anttii Raanta and Russian rookie Pytor Kochetkov because Andersen isn’t really a starter anymore. Not so different than a Samsonov, Murray and Woll.
I was more going back in time but Freddy and Raanta are not comparable to Murray and Sammy. The Canes collected the two most underappreciated goalies and they won the Jennings together. They've had injury problems to work through but supported their team adequately in recent playoff runs.

Murray broke down and Sammy let in a soft goal a game with his impressive but out of date style and should have lost the net to Woll.

Now we are looking to Canes mgmt team to come here and help us replicate what they built.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was more going back in time but Freddy and Raanta are not comparable to Murray and Sammy. The Canes collected the two most underappreciated goalies and they won the Jennings together. They've had injury problems to work through but supported their team adequately in recent playoff runs.

Murray broke down and Sammy let in a soft goal a game with his impressive but out of date style and should have lost the net to Woll.

Now we are looking to Canes mgmt team to come here and help us replicate what they built.

The strength of the Carolina Hurricanes is their blueline. Not their goalies.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
The strength of the Carolina Hurricanes is their blueline. Not their goalies.
If you can confidently separate goalie and blueline performance than you have a better eye than I do.

I just want a goalie that can reliably perform behind a good defensive team and then focus on that. The Canes have two of them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you can confidently separate goalie and blueline performance than you have a better eye than I do.

I just want a goalie that can reliably perform behind a good defensive team and then focus on that. The Canes have two of them.

Andersen isn’t reliable. That’s why they split their regular season into thirds.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Feels like Fred's a gamble on his own, no? Missing two straight playoffs and not starting this year doesnt feel like a secure spot.

Hes been very good this playoff through the half of their run he's played in

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Andersen isn’t reliable. That’s why they split their regular season into thirds.
Freddy is a proven asset. His lengthy career numbers support that.

The process is, find a proven asset for the goalie position and build a proper defense in front of them. (Canes strategy)

Campbell, Sammy, and Murray were gambles regardless of our team defence.

That's a bad strategy for a contender and one of the main reasons we have had a bad run.

Reactions: Wendelstache

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Feels like Fred's a gamble on his own, no? Missing two straight playoffs and not starting this year doesnt feel like a secure spot.

Hes been very good this playoff through the half of their run he's played in
He's had injury troubles, nothing too crazy, and they got Raanta to protect the downside. We could have kept Freddy and picked up Raanta at the same time. I remember watching that play out.

We wouldn't have gotten the D system right anyways though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Freddy is a proven asset. His lengthy career numbers support that.

The process is, find a proven asset for the goalie position and build a proper defense in front of them. (Canes strategy)

Campbell, Sammy, and Murray were gambles regardless of our team defence.

That's a bad strategy for a contender and one of the main reasons we have had a bad run.

Ex-Leafs don’t need to completely flame out of the NHL after Toronto for the Leafs to be correct in letting them go. It doesn’t make sense that we would focus on Andersen every time he shows up somewhere and plays well.

Our goaltending would have been a messy platoon even with him here the past couple of years.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's had injury troubles, nothing too crazy, and they got Raanta to protect the downside. We could have kept Freddy and picked up Raanta at the same time. I remember watching that play out.

We wouldn't have gotten the D system right anyways though.
"Nothing too crazy" has led him to outright miss 2 of the last 3 playoffs and not start this one

I get people liking Fred and wanting him back, but i wouldnt say he has been the safe pick or a reliable choice if we're worried about this time frame as our window.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
"Nothing too crazy" has led him to outright miss 2 of the last 3 playoffs and not start this one

I get people liking Fred and wanting him back, but i wouldnt say he has been the safe pick or a reliable choice if we're worried about this time frame as our window.
I'm looking at the mindset we have had and may continue to have. Freddy was lights out until Dubie and Keefe rolled into town and tossed him as a result of not understanding their own incompetence.

It's unfortunate that's he's been injured at inopportune times since - you have to have a good back up these days. But he's not in the same category as a goalie who may never be able to play again type of crazy.

There may have been better options then Freddy but we didn't take that route either.

Ex-Leafs don’t need to completely flame out of the NHL after Toronto for the Leafs to be correct in letting them go. It doesn’t make sense that we would focus on Andersen every time he shows up somewhere and plays well.

Our goaltending would have been a messy platoon even with him here the past couple of years.
Yeah, I can agree with all of that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Check his save percentage and games played for six straight years across two bad teams before Dubie and Keefe came to town. It doesn't get more consistent than that.
GSAx:
2013-2014: +6.7 in 28 GP
2014-2015: +2.7 in 54 GP
2015-2016: +1.6 in 43 GP
2016-2017: +23.2 in 66 GP
2017-2018: +9.5 in 66 GP
2018-2019: +12.0 in 60 GP
2019-2020: -14.3 in 52 GP
2020-2021: -4.8 in 24 GP
2021-2022: +27.8 in 52 GP
2022-2023: -3.5 in 34 GP

That's not consistent, especially in the most recent half decade. Mix in the injuries and that's about as much of a mystery box as you can get.

Reactions: Smif and Menzinger

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Another scapegoat that evidently wasn't the problem here.

The GM, media, and large portion of the fanbase were 100% dead wrong in their evaluation of Freddy as a goalie, and he's proven to be far better than any option the Leafs have iced since.

Arrogant? Or insecure/unwilling to do some real inward reflection and point out where the real problems have always been (core players, complete buy-in to team defence and compete)?

Matt Murray is a more expensive cap-hit than Freddy Anderson.

Let that sink in for a second. :laugh:
He became more and more unreliable health wise.

Reared its ugly head again last year for Carolina in the playoffs when he played ZERO playoff games.
Freddy only started 33 games for Carolina this season.

As good as he is, it was time to move off Freddy.

Reactions: Smif

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He became more and more unreliable health wise.

Reared its ugly head again last year for Carolina in the playoffs when he played ZERO playoff games.
Freddy only started 33 games for Carolina this season.

As good as he is, it was time to move off Freddy.

Sure he had some health issues, but when you “move off” one guy just to move on Petr Mrazek and Matt Murray who were as injured if not more than Freddie at his absolute worst while also performing worse, the argument kind of falls flat on its face.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm looking at the mindset we have had and may continue to have. Freddy was lights out until Dubie and Keefe rolled into town and tossed him as a result of not understanding their own incompetence.

It's unfortunate that's he's been injured at inopportune times since - you have to have a good back up these days. But he's not in the same category as a goalie who may never be able to play again type of crazy.

There may have been better options then Freddy but we didn't take that route either.
Fred was tossed out after missing a playoff, preceeded by some horrible goals in Game 7s*

Again, fine if you prefer Fred over Campbell, Sammmy/Woll/Murray, theres merit to that, but its not a safe pick by any stretch and those injuries dont help us last year or arguably this year either.

Reactions: Menzinger

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

When every goalie who goes in carolina look great... you get a pretty goodsign of it

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Sure he had some health issues, but when you “move off” one guy just to move on Petr Mrazek and Matt Murray who were as injured if not more than Freddie at his absolute worst while also performing worse, the argument kind of falls flat on its face.
They moved on to Campbell actually.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The Leafs' D is well above average and Andersen was not run out of town, he was 31 and coming off the worst season of his career by far, looking hobbled by hip injuries that have ended other goalies' careers. Good on him for working his way back but it was far from a safe bet.

The historical revisionism some posters subscribe to here is really weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad