Frederik Andersen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Yes, the Leafs would have been much better off not chasing him out of town, replacing him with Mrazek. immediately paying a 1st to ditch him, and then acquiring Matt Murray who wasn't even available for the Leafs for the majority of the season.

I'm not sure what there is to dispute.
That he never performed well in a 7th/5th game, had injuries that took forever to heal, and mentally checked out on the team his last year. Whether or not his replacement(s) sucked, he had to go.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes, the Leafs would have been much better off not chasing him out of town, replacing him with Mrazek. immediately paying a 1st to ditch him, and then acquiring Matt Murray who wasn't even available for the Leafs for the majority of the season.

I'm not sure what there is to dispute.

I would loved to compare Matt Murray's playoff record in Toronto to Freddie's in Carolina...

Jack Campbell won 6 playoff games for the Leafs between the last game Andersen played for the Leafs and tonight, so of all the things to get angry about, this one is a bit of a stretch.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Jack Campbell won 6 playoff games for the Leafs between the last game Andersen played for the Leafs and tonight, so of all the things to get angry about, this one is a bit of a stretch.

Over two years, in losing 1st round efforts. Unfortunately when you're using a stat like playoff wins to judge a goalie, they only really matter when you get them in multiples of 4's...

It's a flat out fact that this playoff alone from Freddie eclipses anything Dubas' replacements have done since...

I think we can give the player his due here.

That he never performed well in a 7th/5th game, had injuries that took forever to heal, and mentally checked out on the team his last year. Whether or not his replacement(s) sucked, he had to go.

And how did the big guns do in those 7th/5th games?

Oh yeah, firing more blanks just like they did against the Panthers...

It was always a lot more expedient to blame everything on the goalie though, granted.

Reactions: Wendelstache

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wait. He last played in Toronto in 2021, has 5 playoff wins total since then and we're talking about Freddie Andersen?
Well, yeah. He has played pretty well this post season, so it is a good time to trash the Leafs and their management. McCann only got 3 points in his 8 playoff games, so we can't use him anymore, but he will be back in the saddle if he plays well. it doesn't matter how far removed from Toronto or how much time has passed.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Well, yeah. He has played pretty well this post season, so it is a good time to trash the Leafs and their management. McCann only got 3 points in his 8 playoff games, so we can't use him anymore, but he will be back in the saddle if he plays well. it doesn't matter how far removed from Toronto or how much time has passed.

Sure we can, he was still better than Kerfoot and Holl (healthy scratch) :laugh:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
And how did the big guns do in those 7th/5th games?

Oh yeah, firing more blanks just like they did against the Panthers...

It was always a lot more expedient to blame everything on the goalie though, granted.
Not well, and I'm not defending them.

Easier to discard Freddy when we did because of his expiring contract combined with his issues.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Remember when people were getting mad at him for not saving shots that were deflected in the slot, sometimes even off of his own teammates butts?
No, I don't. I remember him consistently letting in weak, deflating goals at the worst possible time, often unscreened from distance or horrible angles, taken by random 3rd and 4th liners. I remember him getting outplayed by the opposing goalie in every playoff series. I remember him always being injured with mysterious injuries that nobody other than Andersen could figure out. I remember him getting outplayed by Campbell. I remember Carolina making him a healthy scratch in the playoffs, opting for rookies and journeyman backups instead. Etc.

I remember watching him last night, even in a good game, getting outplayed by an opposing goalie in another playoff loss.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
No, I don't. I remember him consistently letting in weak, deflating goals at the worst possible time, often unscreened from distance or horrible angles, taken by random 3rd and 4th liners. I remember him getting outplayed by the opposing goalie in every playoff series. I remember him always being injured with mysterious injuries that nobody other than Andersen could figure out. I remember him getting outplayed by Campbell. I remember Carolina making him a healthy scratch in the playoffs, opting for rookies and journeyman backups instead. Etc.

I remember watching him last night, even in a good game, getting outplayed by an opposing goalie in another playoff loss.
Andersen is the best goalie to have been here since Eddie Belfour.

Woll is already the 2nd best and not far off Freddy if he keeps progressing.

Andersen absolutely stole games against Washington and Boston and even CLB. He carried us to the playoffs the first couple of years and played behind guys like cody ceci on the top pairing.

People have recency bias and remember his poor stretch at the end but forget how insane he was with multiple 40-save stole games in the playoffs vs FAR superior teams than we faced recently.

Campbell easily the most overrated goalie to have played here. MTL was the easiest opponent the leafs have played against with the worst offense we have seen in the playoffs. Yet he still put up sub .900 numbers in games with a chance to send them home, with weak goals in every single one of those games.

Regardless they are all in the best now. More importantly we dont have a shitshow for a goalie coach now and hopefully we develop Woll properly.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

That’s fine. He was injured in his last year with Toronto and had plenty of bad games. I just am referencing the ridiculous witch-hunt that happened when this fanbase really turned on him. People were arguing vehemently that there was no excuse to not stop shots tipped in the slot off his own players; it was madness and yes, it certainly happened, hence my initial post.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not that that would be saying much, but also, highly highly debatable.
He had one really good year in 2016-2017, but nothing all that notable otherwise, and even that was partly driven by just how much he played. On a per-game basis, Samsonov actually had a better performance this year.
He was bad for the last half of his contract here, was often injured, consistently let in goals on first shots or right after goals, consistently let in backbreaking, low percentage goals in critical moments in the playoffs, was outplayed by his opposing goalie in every playoff series, and never took responsibility for bad play.

He ended his time with the Leafs +25.6 GSAx through 268 regular season games and +1.8 GSAx through 25 playoff games. That's not great.
Andersen absolutely stole games against Washington and Boston and even CLB. He carried us to the playoffs the first couple of years and played behind guys like cody ceci on the top pairing.
He was a massive part of getting us into the playoffs in his first year, but over the 4 playoffs that Andersen played in, there were 4 games that we deserved to lose that we won. There were 8 that we deserved to win, but lost. So you'd have quite the hill to climb to argue he helped us more than hurt us.

Ceci played 56 games with us, was 4th on our defense in ice time per game, and Ceci's struggle was generating offense, not defense, so not sure how that's detrimental to Andersen.
More importantly we dont have a shitshow for a goalie coach now
Yes, new guy seems much better.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

Woll is already the 2nd best and not far off Freddy if he keeps progressing.

People have recency bias and remember his poor stretch at the end but forget how insane he was with multiple 40-save stole games in the playoffs vs FAR superior teams than we faced recently.

Campbell easily the most overrated goalie to have played here. MTL was the easiest opponent the leafs have played against with the worst offense we have seen in the playoffs. Yet he still put up sub .900 numbers in games with a chance to send them home, with weak goals in every single one of those games.

Regardless they are all in the best now. More importantly we dont have a shitshow for a goalie coach now and hopefully we develop Woll properly.
He was very inconsistent.

Nobody cares he stole games, it's not like Toronto is icing an awful team. He needed to steal SERIES, he didn't do that so he's gone.

He's having success on the best defensive team in the NHL, good for him, but if he was that great of a goalie, Toronto would've kept him.

He was another goalie that fluctuated in Toronto. There's a reason the team was 0/4 in 1st rounds with him and it wasn't because they lost 4 games 1-0 in triple OT. His last year he was .895 with a 3 gaa, says it all.

Reactions: Menzinger

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Testament to how good the Canes are defensively if they can get anywhere with this guy in goal. What a blueline corps.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Freddy was and is a good goalie. He was never "the problem" in Toronto. The media and general fan opinion turned on him, and then management decided the goalie carousel was a better option. I still hate that choice.

I'm just hoping now the media and general fan opinion of the core 4 doesn't do the same thing to the best Leafs team I've ever gotten to watch.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Over two years, in losing 1st round efforts. Unfortunately when you're using a stat like playoff wins to judge a goalie, they only really matter when you get them in multiples of 4's...

It's a flat out fact that this playoff alone from Freddie eclipses anything Dubas' replacements have done since...

I think we can give the player his due here.

Well, at least the Canes lost so last night so we don’t have to give him any more dues.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
We ran him into the ground in the regular season because "back up goalie points are luck". Then gave him a moron goalie coach

Then he became just one of a long line of scapegoats for the core and GM

In his last two playoffs series we scored this in terms of goals (Freddys save % was .920 and .936)

18/19
4 W
1 L
3 W
4 L
2 W
2 L
1 L

19/20

0 L
3 W
3 L
4 W
0 L

Only 2 Ls when we score more then 2 goals 4 games during that stretch we scored 2 or less.

His occasional soft goal only was amplified because we go missing for long stretches offensively.

Reactions: LeafEgo and makbeer

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
We ran him into the ground in the regular season because "back up goalie points are luck". Then gave him a moron goalie coach

Then he became just one of a long line of scapegoats for the core and GM

In his last two playoffs series we scored this in terms of goals (Freddys save % was .920 and .936)

18/19
4 W
1 L
3 W
4 L
2 W
2 L
1 L

19/20

0 L
3 W
3 L
4 W
0 L

Only 2 Ls when we score more then 2 goals 4 games during that stretch we scored 2 or less.

His occasional soft goal only was amplified because we go missing for long stretches offensively.

Exactly.

Reactions: rocketman588

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad