Prospect Info: Frederik Andersen signs 2 year extension. One way 1,15 AAV

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What are we doing with Gibson? Miller will likely sign a long term contract here. Trading a goalie for a goalie isn't good in my eyes.

Prospects or picks are prolly what Murray is thinking for our goalie situation. Or a Package for a dman

Ideally we would be able to sign Miller to a 2-3 year extension. In regards to Gibson, he needs to earn a spot on the roster, and when that happens, room will be made for him. You don't just sit here and give away seasons, while waiting on prospects that are years away.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
What are we doing with Gibson? Miller will likely sign a long term contract here. Trading a goalie for a goalie isn't good in my eyes.

Prospects or picks are prolly what Murray is thinking for our goalie situation. Or a Package for a dman

He's 34 and wants to play in California, where his options are limited, he won't be in a position to demand too much. I'd estimate 3 or 4 years tops, 3 being the most likely. I could easily live with him on a 3-year deal.

Ducksgo*

Ideally we would be able to sign Miller to a 2-3 year extension. In regards to Gibson, he needs to earn a spot on the roster, and when that happens, room will be made for him. You don't just sit here and give away seasons, while waiting on prospects that are years away.

We aren't exactly giving away season apparent to what we are doing now. Btw what do we gain from signing Miller for 2-3 years. Gibson is already putting up amazing numbers in the AHL. And is slowly becoming a franchise goalie.

Let's say Miller signs 3 years. Gibson is signed till 2015-16 I would imagine he walks.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
We aren't exactly giving away season apparent to what we are doing now. Btw what do we gain from signing Miller for 2-3 years. Gibson is already putting up amazing numbers in the AHL. And is slowly becoming a franchise goalie.

Let's say Miller signs 3 years. Gibson is signed till 2015-16 I would imagine he walks.

The point is you don't pass up a chance to make the team better now just because Gibson may be ready in a couple of years. When JG proves he is ready Murray will make room for him. I for one would dread the thought of going into next season with Fasth-Andersen or Gibson-Andersen as the goaltending tandem. So, yes I would like Hiller or Miller on a short term deal.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Please elaborate. I think if the Ducks have interest, they'd have a great chance at landing him.

why? i'd imagine miller woudl want a decent length contract as well as money.

we already have a ton of money tied up in our 2 players and we don't need miller to sign here unless both hiller and fasth aren't here imo.

otherwise we'd what? run miller/fasth? andersen is definitely ready for backup duty imo

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
why? i'd imagine miller woudl want a decent length contract as well as money.

we already have a ton of money tied up in our 2 players and we don't need miller to sign here unless both hiller and fasth aren't here imo.

otherwise we'd what? run miller/fasth? andersen is definitely ready for backup duty imo

I think the implication was that it would indeed be Miller/Andersen.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The thing with Hiller in free agency is that I'm not sure there is a huge market for goaltenders. There's a reason Tim Thomas had to sign a PTO and Bryzgalov is still waiting around for a call. Even a team like Edmonton doesn't appear to be overly desperate, and then you factor Ryan Miller being a free agent and Buffalo simply moving on, and it doesn't look great. I could see the Islanders being heavily in on him, and perhaps Edmonton, but after that it gets a bit murky.
Right. The issue there was a lack of interest in the market. :laugh:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Right. The issue there was a lack of interest in the market. :laugh:

With Bryz there's obviously some issues, but Thomas was a Vezina-level goaltender before his year off, and basically no team wanted him. No team wanted Luongo, no team seemed to want Nabokov, leading to him going back to the Island, hell even Bernier didn't seem to have many suitors before his trade. Those guys all had issues, but Hiller isn't exactly a superstar, and there truly isn't much of a market for starting goaltending around the league. Probably Edmonton, the Islanders, and that's about it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Sure, he was a Vezina caliber goalie in 2012. He also left the sport for a year and was known as a bit of a headcase and locker room distraction, like Bryz. Those two aren't the best examples of what the market is.

I'm not sure where you're getting that there wasn't much of a market for Bernier.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sure, he was a Vezina caliber goalie in 2012. He also left the sport for a year and was known as a bit of a headcase and locker room distraction, like Bryz. Those two aren't the best examples of what the market is.

I'm not sure where you're getting that there wasn't much of a market for Bernier.

Lombardi flat out said it a few weeks ago, a few teams kicked the tires on him, but Toronto was really the only serious suitor.

The reality is, there isn't a big market for starting goaltending. I estimate, at the very least, 25 teams(not including the Ducks, who currently are set anyway) are set with their goaltending and not looking to make a move. Of the four teams remaining, I could see two make a move to add a starter(EDM and NYI) and two make a move to add a backup(PIT and NYR). Obviously some other teams could make moves, but it's pretty much slim pickings if you're shopping a goaltender. Blues are going through the same thing with Brian Elliott.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Lombardi flat out said it a few weeks ago, a few teams kicked the tires on him, but Toronto was really the only serious suitor.
I did some searching and it sounded like Lombardi felt that most of the other GMs didn't realize how talented Bernier was. While I could see that being an issue with trading Fasth, I don't see why that would be an issue with Hiller in free agency.

Nor do I really see how Luongo's situation, another example you were using for the market, would have any bearing, either. Plenty of teams were interested in his talents. It was his contract that was the major issue. He even said so.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I did some searching and it sounded like Lombardi felt that most of the other GMs didn't realize how talented Bernier was. While I could see that being an issue with trading Fasth, I don't see why that would be an issue with Hiller in free agency.

Nor do I really see how Luongo's situation, another example you were using for the market, would have any bearing, either. Plenty of teams were interested in his talents. It was his contract that was the major issue. He even said so.

Obviously the Luongo situation was a lot different, but that's just how hard it is to find examples of teams needing goaltenders. Basically, they were few and far between. Even with a guy like Bernier, yeah some teams didn't think he was that great, but given the price wasn't high, if a decent amount of teams needed a starter, surely one shows serious interest. Tampa's a team that did need a solution and was rumored to not be fans of Bernier, but even when he was still a King, there weren't a ton of teams rumored to be in on him. Hell, the last two teams to acquire starting goaltenders already had them, I think that's somewhat indicative of the goaltending market.

Basically, if Hiller hits the open market, I don't think there's any kind of bidding war. He might be the fourth best goaltender on the open market(third at best if they all test it) and there might be three teams looking for starters. Not good odds.

I believe that original comment was directed at someone who suggested Hiller will leave regardless because he's clearly not going to be the guy for long. He definitely could, but IMO it's clear that he doesn't exactly have a ton of options out there.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
One thing to remember is that with more starters testing the market there are more jobs likely open. You see this sometimes where teams play musical chairs with their talent. I'd be surprised for instance if the Rangers opted to go with Talbot as their starter, barring him putting up some amazing season, if Lundqvist were to test free agency. Likewise with the Blues if Halak left. On the other hand, I suppose that Buffalo might have the confidence in Enroth to go with him if Miller leaves, so they may be one of those teams that are only looking for a backup.

I think there are more than the two teams that you listed that would be interested. I'd be shocked if Calgary wasn't interested in him, and not just because of the Burke connection. Florida is another.

There's a bit of a drop off after Henrik, Miller, Hiller, and Halak in the pool of goalies this summer. If he does well you could see Thomas in there, though at his age, he seems like more of a short term solution than the other four would be.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
One thing to remember is that with more starters testing the market there are more jobs likely open. You see this sometimes where teams play musical chairs with their talent. I'd be surprised for instance if the Rangers opted to go with Talbot as their starter, barring him putting up some amazing season, if Lundqvist were to test free agency. Likewise with the Blues if Halak left. On the other hand, I suppose that Buffalo might have the confidence in Enroth to go with him if Miller leaves, so they may be one of those teams that are only looking for a backup.

I think there are more than the two teams that you listed that would be interested. I'd be shocked if Calgary wasn't interested in him, and not just because of the Burke connection. Florida is another.

There's a bit of a drop off after Henrik, Miller, Hiller, and Halak in the pool of goalies this summer. If he does well you could see Thomas in there, though at his age, he seems like more of a short term solution than the other four would be.

Didn't realize Halak was also a UFA, but at the same time, I'd be fairly shocked if they let both go. Perhaps they do that and go after a guy like Miller or Lundqvist, but Buffalo is definitely a team IMO that won't be adding anything, they seem to like Enroth and Hackett's a decent prospect as well. The Rangers would definitely be in the market if they lose Lundqvist, I think that goes without saying, but if they lose him, that's just another guy on the market. Calgary and Florida, I really can't see it for a couple reasons. For one, they're both rebuilding to some extent, and I can't see either team spend decent dollars on a goaltender, especially with Calgary having a few inflated contracts and Florida already talking fire sale. More importantly, though, they both have very good prospects whom they seem to want to give every chance to. Florida especially seems committed to Markstrom, and they should be, so I can't see them going after anything more than a potential platoon guy. Calgary doesn't have a guy like Markstrom, but they're very high on Berra(who I'm guessing they make room for next year) and also have Ramo. Things could change, but I don't see either as a landing spot for Hiller.

All in all, if I were to bet on it, I'd put money on Hiller being as Islander next year. There's a longer term future there, they're an organization on the rise, and he's a guy that could really help them take it to the next level. Everything else gets interesting after that, really depends on the Rangers and Blues and what they do with their pending UFA goalies. I have no idea if there's interest from BM on Miller, but it does seem like such a potential bargain bin pickup that he couldn't refuse. I'm certainly hoping for it, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad