Speculation: Fred Chabot

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Don't you guys think Scrivens success in Edmonton came from the team he played for before? You know, the one that had 5th rounder Jonathan Quick and unsigned free agent, Martin Jones pushing him out? Chabot has nothing to do with Scrivens' play. Ask yourselves, what goaltender have the Oilers developed properly and there's your answer on whether Chabot should stay or not. He needs to go, hearing MacT has already talked contract makes me frustrated.

Dubnyk goes to Nashville and Trotz makes Chabot sound like the biggest idiot. He had terrible habits, that's coaching people. I love everyone blaming Dubnyk for being bad.. guy didn't have a chance under Chabot. He's been here as long as Buchberger.. should have gone with him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't you guys think Scrivens success in Edmonton came from the team he played for before? You know, the one that had 5th rounder Jonathan Quick and unsigned free agent, Martin Jones pushing him out? Chabot has nothing to do with Scrivens' play. Ask yourselves, what goaltender have the Oilers developed properly and there's your answer on whether Chabot should stay or not. He needs to go, hearing MacT has already talked contract makes me frustrated.

Dubnyk goes to Nashville and Trotz makes Chabot sound like the biggest idiot. He had terrible habits, that's coaching people. I love everyone blaming Dubnyk for being bad.. guy didn't have a chance under Chabot. He's been here as long as Buchberger.. should have gone with him.

Why didn't Dubnyk do what Garon did and get his own coach. At least I think it was Garon.

If the goalie truly sees issues with the coach he doesn't have to listen to him.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I think goalies make enough money they should be able to tell the goalie coach that he is a pos.

Scrivens wasnt in LA that long...
I would say the best goalie coach for Scrivs might be who Eakins had with the Marlies when Scrivs showed his greatest improvement.

Scrivens is an extremely agile and athletic goalie. His goalie coach should be someone he trusts to tell him when he might be slipping into some bad habits, or needs to adjust, and tweek, some routine movements in order to be more efficient or cut angles better.

Personally chabot has done nothing and its an extremely important position. Cant say he had much to work with in Dubnyk but hed have say in the fact Dubnyk was even here...as our goalie scout.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I think goalies make enough money they should be able to tell the goalie coach that he is a pos.

Scrivens wasnt in LA that long...
I would say the best goalie coach for Scrivs might be who Eakins had with the Marlies when Scrivs showed his greatest improvement.

Scrivens is an extremely agile and athletic goalie. His goalie coach should be someone he trusts to tell him when he might be slipping into some bad habits, or needs to adjust, and tweek, some routine movements in order to be more efficient or cut angles better.

Personally chabot has done nothing and its an extremely important position. Cant say he had much to work with in Dubnyk but hed have say in the fact Dubnyk was even here...as our goalie scout.

Apparently Bill Ranford made some fundamental changes in Scrivens game including how he holds his glove hand. I think LA had a bigger impact on Scrivens then some people think.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Honestly, if so many are so sure he's terrible, go make your feelings known at the Oilers' offices. He hasn't been re-signed yet, if you make enough noise, they will probably just forego that. Again, if you don't like it do something about.

As for "Dubnyk" he's not 22, he's almost 30, he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH. No coach can fix that.

Dubnyk absolutely is fixable. When a goalie is butterflying with his pads parallel, and the goalie coach doesn't fix it, that's pretty telling about the coach

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
For what it's worth, one thing we do know is that both Dubnyk and Khabibulin had good things to say about Chabot, especially Dubnyk.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Apparently Bill Ranford made some fundamental changes in Scrivens game including how he holds his glove hand. I think LA had a bigger impact on Scrivens then some people think.

Yep. People seem to overlook this point. Allaire messed up Scrivens game in TO and Ranford fixed it. And whatever Ranford fixed, Chabot will likely break.

For what it's worth, one thing we do know is that both Dubnyk and Khabibulin had good things to say about Chabot, especially Dubnyk.

I'd say good things too if that was the only coach that loved me despite how bad I am:laugh:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yep. People seem to overlook this point. Allaire messed up Scrivens game in TO and Ranford fixed it. And whatever Ranford fixed, Chabot will likely break.

I guess we just need to hope, otherwise he might stay employed and we can't have that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Chabot shouldn't even be getting an extension or have a job. Mediocre backup who didn't prove anything in the NHL becomes a goalie coach? Good enough for the oilers management! Good grief, Chabot is trash.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dubnyk absolutely is fixable.

No, when a 6'6" goalie gets beat over the shoulders, repeatedly, that's not fixable, that guy isn't very good.

If it were just "fixable" Niko Hoivanen would be an NHL goaltender.

If it were just "fixable" there wouldn't be a noticeable drop off from Ben Bishop to Andres Lindback.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm sincere when I say, I really want you guys, if you're SO bothered by the prospect of Chabot re-signing, to make this issue known to the organization. Loudly, publically, because it starts a chain. If you can make enough noise to have Chabot lose his job, then little by little the fans can influence decision made by the team and then fans will gain some control, that I'm sure many of you want.

So again I say, make it loudly and publically known that you don't want this guy back, and see if the Organization caves to it.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Dubnyk absolutely is fixable. When a goalie is butterflying with his pads parallel, and the goalie coach doesn't fix it, that's pretty telling about the coach

I'm no fan of Chabot but I'm not really sure if Duby is fixable. If you can't catch a floater from the blue line you have serious issues. How do you fix that? Maybe hand him a time machine to go back and play catch with dad more often.:dunno:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'm sincere when I say, I really want you guys, if you're SO bothered by the prospect of Chabot re-signing, to make this issue known to the organization. Loudly, publically, because it starts a chain. If you can make enough noise to have Chabot lose his job, then little by little the fans can influence decision made by the team and then fans will gain some control, that I'm sure many of you want.

So again I say, make it loudly and publically known that you don't want this guy back, and see if the Organization caves to it.

In order to do that they would have to be relevant in our day to day lives. They lost any significance after the sixth terrible year.

I dont know what they are, but they are certainly not an nhl franchise worthy of any notice.

Talking on a message board is one thing but this pos organization is really not worth physical movement nor anyones time or effort.
I feel bad for MacT.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
In order to do that they would have to be relevant in our day to day lives. They lost any significance after the sixth terrible year.

I dont know what they are, but they are certainly not an nhl franchise worthy of any notice.

Talking on a message board is one thing but this pos organization is really not worth physical movement nor anyones time or effort.
I feel bad for MacT.

It clearly is though, look how many people are upset that he might be re-signed.

Look at all the posts/threads where people congratulate each other and one upping each other about how much they hate the team/organization.

If everyone has this much of issue, do something about it.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm no fan of Chabot but I'm not really sure if Duby is fixable. If you can't catch a floater from the blue line you have serious issues. How do you fix that? Maybe hand him a time machine to go back and play catch with dad more often.:dunno:

and re-live taking a ball to the face every 3rd throw?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
It's worth hiring someone new IMO. Hire someone experienced, someone with a track record of developing nhl goalies. Oilers are terrible at developing goalies, chabot hasn't developed anyone and he has no experience outside of the oilers org. What would it hurt to hire someone different? Have a fresh start, we've got two new goalies and a new prospect on the way in a few years, why not get a new coach?

I got impression that chabot worked very closely with dubnyk so the comments about having bad habits really stood out to me. I suspect chabot is a poor coach. Either way it can't hurt to find someone more proven and experienced.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
With the Oilers, yes Chabot should keep his job. Lowe, Buchburger, and a host of other idiots have maintained their jobs, so if Chabot gets let go he should be ticked.

But if he was part of any other organization on Earth, he should not keep his job.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
With the Oilers, yes Chabot should keep his job. Lowe, Buchburger, and a host of other idiots have maintained their jobs, so if Chabot gets let go he should be ticked.

But if he was part of any other organization on Earth, he should not keep his job.

You assume

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Honestly, if so many are so sure he's terrible, go make your feelings known at the Oilers' offices. He hasn't been re-signed yet, if you make enough noise, they will probably just forego that. Again, if you don't like it do something about.

Honestly, if so many of these posters are so terrible, go make your feelings known at the moderators office. If you make enough noise, they will probably just ban everyone who doesn't share the same opinion with you. Again, if you don't like it do something about it.

Or just spew the same nonsense dozens of times in a topic.

Add something to the conversation Jimmi.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It would be insane for any other team. But not for the Oilers. Because they can't promote him to the president of goaltending operations.

Sloth Slothersons*

Dubnyk will be our goaltending coach within the next year.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
No one in this thread has any clue whether Chabot is a good goalie coach or not. Dubnyk was good the season before.

I couldn't care less, this is one of those things where I'm sure Scrivens and Fasth have input. If they don't like Chabot, MacT would probably let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad