Franchise with best and worst luck in net

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Flyers have to be the unluckiest.
Is it luck though, or lack of prioritizing. As a Habs fan we once had a team deep with Cs , with Vinnie Damphousse, Pierre Turgeon and Saku Koivu. Then mismanagement came and the best we could do is Koivu and Pleakanec. We somehow couldn't lay our hands on a legit top 6C for almost 30 years before we got Suzuki.

But we didn't
make drafting Cs a priority, and only one GM, Gainey , tried trading for one (and he failed. ), the others just happily going with what we had. So for Montreal it wasnt bad luck, it was bad management. Until Bergevin finally was willing to trade a high value asset for a top C prospect. I mean it's you draft, trade or sign as a FA.

Goalies are harder to project, but other than Hart, did the Flyers invest in drafting a bunch of good quality prospects, or trade for them over the decades ? I didn't follow other than thinking these guys are as good at turning up good goalies as we are with centres.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Gonna say philly worse luck as well.
One team that hasn’t been mentioned I have Nashville for good luck. Vokoun to Rinne to Saros.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Good luck : Vancouver , Winnipeg and Montreal

Bad luck : rest of the Canadian teams
well I mean Lu made it to the finals but never won a cup as a player, won a gold so Id say that era kinda was failed prob by that Rome hit where I thought the series changed. and Demo as awesome as he is has had injury issues and ones with bad timing,

Helle is pretty awesome but really hasn't been a big difference in their hunt for a cup.

Price played incredible and took a team that likely should never have been there to the finals and then a career ending injury.

imo Id say all Canadian teams at this point have equal bad luck. for most Canadian teams u might have to go further back but all the same results. Potvin, Cujo, Belfour for the leafs so they in a way had "good luck" too

Surprising choice for bad luck. Montreal has a long history of great goal goaltending (Price, Halak, Theodore, Roy, Dryden, Plante, Durnan, Worsley, Vezina). One could argue they had the best overall goaltending of the Original 6 teams.
if you get a top goalie but go no where with it, I woul;dn't really consider that good or bad luck. more so unfortunate lol
Roy the only Canadian franchise goalie to win anything that really matters. Id say all Canadian teams at this point have bad luck

Reactions: Coffees

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Bad luck, poor decisions, bad coaching, take your pick of reasons why the Flyers have had one (1) Hall of Fame goalie all-time. The death of Pelle Lindbergh, Ed Snider pitching a fit and forcing us to sign Bryzgalov before he turned back into a pumpkin, costing us Bobrovsky (and let's not forget that BOTH of the Panthers' goalies this year started their career as Flyers), Criminal Defendant #1, signing John Vanbiesbrouck when Curtis Joseph, in his prime, was so ready to join the team he had already bought his kids Flyers gear, the Fedotov Siberian Orchestra, the Kolosov debacle we're currently dealing with, the Year of 8 Goalies, the parade of Emerys and Elliotts and Esches, Söderströms, Sandströms, Roussels and Resches, Beauregards and Belhumeurs, Bouchers and Duchesnes, a guy named Heeter who never went on one, and a team that couldn't see Mark LaForest for the trees.

At least we had Niitty. AND Gritty.
Great post! Really enjoyed the prose and play-on-words.

Reactions: swiiscompos

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Bad luck, poor decisions, bad coaching, take your pick of reasons why the Flyers have had one (1) Hall of Fame goalie all-time. The death of Pelle Lindbergh, Ed Snider pitching a fit and forcing us to sign Bryzgalov before he turned back into a pumpkin, costing us Bobrovsky (and let's not forget that BOTH of the Panthers' goalies this year started their career as Flyers), Criminal Defendant #1, signing John Vanbiesbrouck when Curtis Joseph, in his prime, was so ready to join the team he had already bought his kids Flyers gear, the Fedotov Siberian Orchestra, the Kolosov debacle we're currently dealing with, the Year of 8 Goalies, the parade of Emerys and Elliotts and Esches, Söderströms, Sandströms, Roussels and Resches, Beauregards and Belhumeurs, Bouchers and Duchesnes, a guy named Heeter who never went on one, and a team that couldn't see Mark LaForest for the trees.

sometimes life is hart

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Oh my goodness, I can’t believe Ive done that.

Yeah sorry , add Montreal to the good luck list

My apologies @Bouboumaster @CauZuki @amnesiac
@tarheelhockey

Yeah that was my reaction too. Montreal’s a contender for best overall, they rarely go a significant period of time without a HOF’er in net.
... And even when they don't, they tend to manage to squeeze good performances from non-elite netminders, more often than not.

If we disregard Condon, who should never really have been a starter in the first place and got the nod because Carey Price suffered a season-ending injury, since the mid-80ies, the worst they got was.. Probably Jake Allen during tanking seasons (The 05-06 version of Jose Theodore was total shit, but him and Huet were more of a tandem).

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

I can't believe Pete Peeters and Bob Froese didn't make it to this post, especially as there's some great pun potential for both, AND also a good story for one of them (the creative use of a lightbulb).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Through their short history the Wild have had decent, but not great goaltending. On piece of bad luck was when Josh Harding, who was coming into his own as a goalie after years playing behind Niklas Backstrom , was diagnosed with MS in 2012. Despite that, he led the league in GAA and save % in 2013-14, but the side effects from the meds he was taking to deal with his disease became too much, and he had to retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jugitsu

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Only area Panthers really hasnt ever had a problem in is goaltending

Beezer, Luongo, Bobrovsky, Vokoun
Theodore, Kidd, Burke, Belfour, Thomas, Vernon

Then we had those one year wonder
Anderson, Stolarz, Drieger, Montoay

Reimer (91.2%)

Always hated giving up on Anderson and Kidd was having great season until Worrell steamrolled him at teams own "all-star" event for fans

Havent had one of those since

Reactions: Kegs

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Hello all,

I was reading an article on Saros and it got me thinking.

Is there a fanbase that have been luckier than the Preds as far as always having a steady reliable presence in net (Saros, Rinne, Vokoun). One can argue they always had a good defense or system in place but to tough to argue with a better batting average which probably covers 80% of their franchises existence.

For the worst luck, I may be biased against them but Ottawa is a strong contender no? Anderson was solid but a fringe top 10 guy. Lalime was average and their all time best is a short tenure of an old Hasek.

What are your choices?
You may want to look at what happened to all 3 of the Preds 1st round picks before you say we were lucky.
Plus don’t discount our European scouts they only saw Rinne in warm ups and were the only team that had him on their draft board.

Reactions: DaveG

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
You may want to look at what happened to all 3 of the Preds 1st round picks before you say we were lucky.
Plus don’t discount our European scouts they only saw Rinne in warm ups and were the only team that had him on their draft board.
Luck is more of a compliment in this case. You make your own luck as they say

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
You could have said Ottawa if it weren’t for Hasek, darnit!
Hašek might be a good example for why they’ve had bad luck in net though. 1 -, they got Hašek when he was 39, 2 - lockout happens so he’s 40 before he actually plays with them and turned 41 during the season, 3 it was only the 1 year and he got hurt at the Olympics and missed the rest of the season and playoffs….that was his Ottawa experience

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I feel like CBJ has had some of the worst luck.
Steve Mason looks real promising and then well you know
Bob walks
Merzļikins has promise but yeah not really anymore
Not sure if you're being kind by omitting, but Columbus also lost a promising young goaltender in a freak fireworks accident in 2021, Matiss Kivlenieks.

Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad