Proposal: Forsberg to Pittsburgh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Forsberg isn’t their best player that’s probably why you feel that way. Maybe their best forward, but his last few years have been injury after injury on routine plays and he’s basically hinted that he’s going to UFA.

Best forward. Josi for sure is better. That franchise has never had nearly enough offensive firepower. If they go cold and fall out of the playoff hunt, sure. He will get done. If they are in it, he is staying.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You seriously think that sitting in a playoff spot the Pred are going to trade Forsberg rather than add to Forsberg?
Lot of variables to whether they will or not. Poile generally tends to not trade expiring contracts if he feels they're too important to a playoff run (even if it's a likely one-and-done). Depends on where we are in the standings, how the team has been playing, how much of that Forsberg has contributed to (or is likely to contribute to), what the potential offers are, and whether there's any possibility he may still consider an extension. Something that has become evident over the past few seasons is that there were some more veteran elements in the locker room that were clearly not buying in to the current roster set-up/system and their presence was making the team worse...or else they were just no longer good fits (this includes Subban, Arvy, Ellis, the Turris buyout, etc...). This was especially glaring last season when we were a bottom 3 team until a lot of the vets got injured and had our youngsters push us into a playoff spot. How Forsberg figures in to all that is also a big consideration.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'll agree. Poile will view Forsberg as an already owned, playoff rental if we are contending at the deadline. He historically has no problem passing on the prospect/pick package despite the fanbase frustration some years. Hell, he's liable to be a buyer if we are in a playoff spot.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'll agree. Poile will view Forsberg as an already owned, playoff rental if we are contending at the deadline. He historically has no problem passing on the prospect/pick package despite the fanbase frustration some years. Hell, he's liable to be a buyer if we are in a playoff spot.
I think ultimately it will come down to what is being offered tbh. If it's just a 1st + meh prospect I absolutely see him not moving him as it basically means he gets that level of guy that he would normally go get and he gets to keep his first.

However if someone just goes crazy and offers him another Erat for Forsberg type deal, I'm not convinced he wouldn't move him.

Some of it to may come down to how Forsberg is playing and if he has bought in as well. Poile usually moves a guy if they want out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
seems hefty for 1 season

idk...It's got a quasi cap-dump included, and frankly...a near PPG winger like Forsberg, you're gonna pay through the nose. Even as a rental. That's the sort of gamechanger that's worth pushing a lot of chips in for.

Whether that's worth it for the Penguins specifically trying to take one last big kick at the can before switching gears? ehhh...i can see arguments either way. Depends on how you peg your odds of re-signing him to a reasonable deal. But i'd generally lean toward going for it in the Penguins situation. If you're going to make a push, better to make a big one like that.

I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't a better offer on the table for Nashville. If he were to be fully shopped right now.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
To Pens: Forsberg at 50%

To Preds: Zucker, Poulin, 2022 1st rounder

Pens get a skilled LW for one of their centers, Preds get a vet to replace some of Forsberg's offense from LW next year, a versatile young forward recently drafted in the 1st round, and another 1st round pick.

Why? Pittsburgh needs to start a rebuild. Don't need to give up any futures. They need to keep them.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why? Pittsburgh needs to start a rebuild. Don't need to give up any futures. They need to keep them.

They wouldn’t dare rebuild with Crosby and Malkin still kicking. It will set them back long term but they will keep pushing until they are gone

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
hasn't Zucker's game kinda dried up in PITT? does he have any real value anymore?

I was never really high on the Zucker trade, but I feel like he's getting dumped on harder than he deserves. He played pretty well with Sid when he first came over, and last season he was on and off with injuries and lineup juggling.

People were expecting him to be a 30 goal guy here, but he's seemed to maintain the status quo of the tail-end of his time in Minny. He's still a 20 goal, 40ish point middle 6 winger; he's just overpaid by a million.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I was never really high on the Zucker trade, but I feel like he's getting dumped on harder than he deserves. He played pretty well with Sid when he first came over, and last season he was on and off with injuries and lineup juggling.

People were expecting him to be a 30 goal guy here, but he's seemed to maintain the status quo of the tail-end of his time in Minny. He's still a 20 goal, 40ish point middle 6 winger; he's just overpaid by a million.
well, for whatever reason, he hasn't hit 20g since 18/19.. and who WOULDN'T play well with Syd lol

just not sure there's a ton of value there

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
well, for whatever reason, he hasn't hit 20g since 18/19.. and who WOULDN'T play well with Syd lol

just not sure there's a ton of value there

I mean, he's got 18G and 19A in 66 games with Pittsburgh. His last full season in Minny he was 21G+21A in 81 games.

I don't see how you can say his game has "dried up" when he's producing at the same pace he was before being traded.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I mean, he's got 18G and 19A in 66 games with Pittsburgh. His last full season in Minny he was 21G+21A in 81 games.

I don't see how you can say his game has "dried up" when he's producing at the same pace he was before being traded.
that'd be cool if it were all in the same season, but those 66 games come over 3 seasons (albeit one was shortened). so 'dried up' might not be the proper way to put it. so what's the reason for the low # of games?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No
Humor me for a second.

What would you think of this forward line-up, if we could get it:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Forsberg-Malkin-Pavelski
Heinen-Carter-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
Rodrigues

Do you think we'd be better?
No not really....you need to know why??

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
To Pens: Forsberg at 50%

To Preds: Zucker, Poulin, 2022 1st rounder

Pens get a skilled LW for one of their centers, Preds get a vet to replace some of Forsberg's offense from LW next year, a versatile young forward recently drafted in the 1st round, and another 1st round pick.
First not sure if your paying attention or not but the pens are not making the playoffs this year ans they are more than a forsberg away. There is nonsense is trading away any of futures. Now these 2 bonehaeds in charge seem to think this core can still compete but in reality this is a bubble team at best. Too soft, not big enough and goaltending always lays an egg

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
hasn't Zucker's game kinda dried up in PITT? does he have any real value anymore?

He doesn't work with Malkin, and Guentzel is Crosby's LW come hell or high water.

Zucker is presently a 40-45 point player with speed and a good motor, but he doesn't process things quick enough to complement an elite center. He might do better elsewhere.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
First not sure if your paying attention or not but the pens are not making the playoffs this year ans they are more than a forsberg away. There is nonsense is trading away any of futures. Now these 2 bonehaeds in charge seem to think this core can still compete but in reality this is a bubble team at best. Too soft, not big enough and goaltending always lays an egg

When someone has trouble acknowledging basic facts like Zucker being a scoring line fixture, it's clear they're not worth engaging in anything else.

Goodbye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad