Former Ducks (2024-25 edition)

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Those were also the Babcock years (for chistov and smirnov). I'm sure it was no fun playing for that deplorable madman, imagine coming over from Russia, barely speaking the language, dealing with culture shock, and then having to deal with that head case.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
That Smirnov draft (2000) was weird. I was a hockey fan but was not at all into the draft at that time, so this is just from looking at the draft page on hockey reference.

Smirnov was picked 12th overall. From picks 7 - 17, there was exactly one guy who played more than 250 games in the NHL: Ron Hainsey, who carved out a decent career for himself as a solid defensive d-man.

There were only two other guys in that stretch whose names might even be familiar: Nikita Alexeev and some guy name Hossa. But not that one. His brother, Marcel. Marcel only played 237 games in the NHL. Perhaps not coincidentally, that portion of the draft included only two North Americans, and one was Hainsey.

I wonder how often there is such a large stretch of busts in a given draft.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That Smirnov draft (2000) was weird. I was a hockey fan but was not at all into the draft at that time, so this is just from looking at the draft page on hockey reference.

Smirnov was picked 12th overall. From picks 7 - 17, there was exactly one guy who played more than 250 games in the NHL: Ron Hainsey, who carved out a decent career for himself as a solid defensive d-man.

There were only two other guys in that stretch whose names might even be familiar: Nikita Alexeev and some guy name Hossa. But not that one. His brother, Marcel. Marcel only played 237 games in the NHL. Perhaps not coincidentally, that portion of the draft included only two North Americans, and one was Hainsey.

I wonder how often there is such a large stretch of busts in a given draft.
yeah, i forgot to mention this in my post. 2000 draft was awful, so picking smirnov at 12 doesn't hurt as much in hindsight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad