Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Off-Season Edition

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Huh, so if what Corrado said was true (I have confidence in his credibility), Steamboat Willie was not the happy old man he feigned to be?

Just like Commando Dimbo's pretend humble niceness, a fake AF image that many gullible dimwits like Seravelli happily ate up.

Can't say I'm surprised.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Huh, so if what Corrado said was true (I have confidence in his credibility), Steamboat Willie was not the happy old man he feigned to be?

Just like Commando Dimbo's pretend humble niceness, a fake AF image that many gullible dimwits like Seravelli happily ate up.

Can't say I'm surprised.
I dunno, that can also be taken as him clumsily saying "I hope a team with a clear path to an NHL career takes you because I want you to have personal success."

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
IIRC, he was a big body with okay speed but lacking quickness, who was a couple years removed from being an offensive juggernaut in minor hockey and going 2OA in the OHL draft, had a mature game, wore a letter for his team, put up decent offensive numbers (led his team in scoring by a fair bit his draft year), had good vision, was defensively responsible, and gave good effort. I'd imagine the projection was that if he got a bit quicker he would do some damage, and if he didn't he'd be a decent bottom six forward and a solid pro. IIRC, he was generally projected to be a ~20-something-ish pick going into the draft.

I don't really see a big issue with taking this player at the tail end of the first round if they liked him.
I personally tend to lean towards "home run swing" type of selections at that position in the draft vs a "safe type pick" (not a ton of upside).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Can't say I'm surprised.
Not many people were willing to talk to two 15/16 year olds like WD was circa 2014 when I took my friend to a STH event. Just loved to talk.

He was such a nice guy. Benning and Linden? Can’t say the same from my own experience!

Reactions: Vector

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I personally tend to lean towards "home run swing" type of selections at that position in the draft vs a "safe type pick" (not a ton of upside).

Sure, and that's a fair position to take, but every time a late first rounder doesn't work out there's always a bunch of folks howevermany years later acting like they took Libor Polasek's insurance broker.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sure, and that's a fair position to take, but every time a late first rounder doesn't work out there's always a bunch of folks howevermany years later acting like they took Libor Polasek's insurance broker.
I'll take selecting a Polasek if it meant also selecting a Michael Peca later in the draft that same draft year.:naughty: Guess even a blind squarrel does find a nut once in a while (Canucks Canadian amateur scouts)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not many people were willing to talk to two 15/16 year olds like WD was circa 2014 when I took my friend to a STH event. Just loved to talk.

He was such a nice guy. Benning and Linden? Can’t say the same from my own experience!

Fair enough, I trust your first hand experience with Steamboat Willie.
👍

What was your experience with Commando Dimbo like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad