For once Montreal and Boston fans can agree on something

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC has decided to showcase the winner of 'The Voice' by singing the national anthem at the Winter Classic. That is simply wrong.

Let's work together and send a message to NBC.

NBC-Allow Rene Rancourt and Ginette Reno to perform the anthems at the Winter Classic
https://www.change.org/p/nbc-bridge...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

LETTER TO
NBC
Bridgestone

The NHL Winter Classic on NBC is a huge event looked forward to buy many hockey fans locally, nationally and worldwide. This year, the matchup is a big game between two of the oldest NHL teams. At Gillette Stadium on January 1st, the "home team" Boston Bruins and the Montréal Canadiens will match up in an "Original Six" battle on the ice. These two teams have probably the biggest and most well known rivalry in the history of the NHL. Instead of keeping to tradition at the biggest event of the NHL season before the Stanley Cup Playoffs by allowing each team to showcase their national anthem singers on such a huge stage, or even allowing the home team the "home ice advantage" of having their anthem singer perform, NBC has ditched Rene Rancourt who has sung the national anthem for over 35 years at Boston Bruins home games and not even considered Ginette Reno who sings at Canadiens playoff games in favor of the winner of the NBC series "The Voice" Hockey is about rivalry, excitement, passionate fans and most of all-tradition. Please NBC, allow the teams two Anthem singing stars to perform at the NHL Winter Classic. I'm sure you can squeeze the winner of "the voice" in somewhere during the program-but allow the fans of both teams and those around the world to see the proper, traditional start to a hockey game between the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens looks and sounds like by allowing Rene Rancourt and Ginette Reno to perform their respective national anthems at the NHL Winter Classic.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Ursula huh? ;)

I feel the same way. I think it would be way better than who they chose but I'm not going to get wound up about it.

lol you saw that?

I agree that it's wrong, but I truly don't care who sings it. I am more interested in the game. NOW, if this was my first winter classic, I might be more upset.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
And as far as \Rene not singing Anthem.ITS TIME BRUINS ORGANIZATION STANDS UP FOR HIM ,ITS NOT RIGHT.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
lol you saw that?

I agree that it's wrong, but I truly don't care who sings it. I am more interested in the game. NOW, if this was my first winter classic, I might be more upset.

I did indeed lol. The comments that showed up were the most recent lol.

Judging by how fast this went around plus the local media picking it up, it may force NBC's hand. That said, I won't hold my breath.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
lol you saw that?

Rene didn't sing at the first one either.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Freaking pathetic to take the honor away from a long-time anthem singer and give it away to some mountain kid who has nothing to do with hockey as a blatant promotional stunt.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Rene didn't sing at the first one either.

Sure looks like he did.

rena-rancourt-22.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I did indeed lol. The comments that showed up were the most recent lol.

Judging by how fast this went around plus the local media picking it up, it may force NBC's hand. That said, I won't hold my breath.

It isn't fair to the kid from Kentucky either - he is going to be booed loudly and he won't understand why.

If they had chosen a local well known talent like the last time then OK - but this is a farce.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from the hockeynews.com:

Bruins anthem singer Rene Rancourt holds a special place in the hearts of Boston faithful. His exuberance after singing The Star-Spangled Banner has made him a fan favorite and a mascot of sorts. But Bruins fans hoping to hear Rancourt and watch his furious fist pumps before the Winter Classic are going to be sorely disappointed.

The NHL announced the lineup for the opening ceremonies for the 2016 Winter Classic and it turns out Rancourt won’t be singing the anthem before the game begins. Instead, the honor will go to Jordan Smith, the vocalist who won season nine of NBC’s singing competition ‘The Voice.’

Smith’s performance of the anthem will be accompanied by the Boston Pops, the famed orchestra. The 22-year-old Kentucky native will follow American Authors, who will serve as pre-game entertainment for the contest. Nate Ruess, of fun. fame, will perform during the first intermission.

Rancourt, 76, has been a mainstay with the Bruins and has sung the anthem regularly since 1976 — he celebrated 40 years as the Bruins’ anthem singer this season. In an interview before the season, Rancourt talked about his career, and also told The Boston Globe’s Thomas Farragher about the fist pumps. Rancourt said they were part of his routine because it helps give him a boost.

Full story here: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/b...ancourt-not-singing-anthem-at-winter-classic/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It isn't fair to the kid from Kentucky either - he is going to be booed loudly and he won't understand why.

If they had chosen a local well known talent like the last time then OK - but this is a farce.

I do feel bad for the kid. He did nothing wrong and people have thrown far too much vitriol his way.

I just want to watch the game and for it to be as enjoyable as Fenway was.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I do feel bad for the kid. He did nothing wrong and people have thrown far too much vitriol his way.

I just want to watch the game and for it to be as enjoyable as Fenway was.

Best part of the Fenway game for me was the announcement of the Olympic roster after the game and Thomas making the team.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Best part of the Fenway game for me was the announcement of the Olympic roster after the game and Thomas making the team.

Such a special moment.

I enjoyed Dennis Leary and Lenny Clark singing Sweet Caroline.

Wonder if they get Scott Zolak to sing some Josie and Bill and Mr. Kraft to waive towels? Pats play on the 3rd and don't travel until Saturday so I'd imagine they'd all be in attendance.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I enjoyed Dennis Leary and Lenny Clark singing Sweet Caroline.

Wonder if they get Scott Zolak to sing some Josie and Bill and Mr. Kraft to waive towels? Pats play on the 3rd and don't travel until Saturday so I'd imagine they'd all be in attendance.

I have know Lenny since we both kids in Cambridge - he has never changed :laugh:

There were fans from Philly in front of us and they went berserk when Sweet Caroline happened. :laugh:

The Pats most likely may head for Florida earlier as while they can practice at the bubble getting in and out of Gillette could be a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad