For once Montreal and Boston fans can agree on something

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It isn't fair to the kid from Kentucky either - he is going to be booed loudly and he won't understand why.

If they had chosen a local well known talent like the last time then OK - but this is a farce.

****** situation for everyone, honestly.

Bruins and Canadiens fans are unhappy, NBC gets criticism, the kid might be boo'd for no reason at all... All because NBC wants to blatantly shove their show into our faces. That's television today. Anyone who boo's him is an idiot... He didn't do anything wrong, it's an honor.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
If you care enough about this then you probably have your priorities wrong.

Most people voting on this probably won't vote on important things like the primaries.

Also, if you boo this kid, you're a disgrace.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I generally hate everything NBC does in regards to sports so I doubt this will be any different. From camera angles, to announcers, to delayed start times, to human interest garbage.... They go out of their way to cater to the lowest common denominator to the point of actually interfering with the presentation of whatever event they're showing.

I also love Rene. I don't care if he sings the anthem, but I love the guy either way. He's one of us. He's obviously a fan. Notoriously nice guy. And he obviously doesn't mind poking a little fun of himself in the B's promos. I'm proud that he represents the fan base and organization.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Rene Rancourt should sing the National Anthem and let the voice guy do the Canadian Anthem. Win/Win.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Anyone who boos during the anthem deserves a kick in the ass.

That's the sentiment we need. Nationalism.

It's stupid to sing anthems at games, but it makes sense if it's tradition. Breaking traditions and having someone else sing it, regardless if Rene didn't sing at the last Classic, makes it doubly stupid. At least if Rene sings, it makes some sense to have the performance at all.

I generally hate everything NBC does in regards to sports so I doubt this will be any different. From camera angles, to announcers, to delayed start times, to human interest garbage.... They go out of their way to cater to the lowest common denominator to the point of actually interfering with the presentation of whatever event they're showing.

I also love Rene. I don't care if he sings the anthem, but I love the guy either way. He's one of us. He's obviously a fan. Notoriously nice guy. And he obviously doesn't mind poking a little fun of himself in the B's promos. I'm proud that he represents the fan base and organization.

Without NBC how would we know Chara's height?

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
If you care enough about this then you probably have your priorities wrong.

Most people voting on this probably won't vote on important things like the primaries.

Also, if you boo this kid, you're a disgrace.

Novel concept: the same person can vote on both and not boo the kid, and be a decent human being! :yo:

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Novel concept: the same person can vote on both and not boo the kid, and be a decent human being! :yo:

OK I just read Simple Plan is going to perform "Oh, Canada". I didn't even know they were still a band. God, were they awful. If there's some bands deserving of boos it's them and Nickelback (it's just a coincidence they're both Canadian).

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
The NHL Winter Classic on NBC is a huge event looked forward to buy many hockey fans locally, nationally and worldwide.

Not sure I'm going to sign anything with grammatical errors in the first sentence...

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Plan the parade! ;)

That's more of a slap in the face than anything from NBC. Especially slipping in the last part to say, "See! It worked before! Tradition!"

Yay, so glad an icon gets relegated to the Alumni Game so Simple Plan and someone from The Voice who will be forgotten in 6 months tops can perform. Great work NHL :handclap:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Like a lot of you, I'm sure, I'm getting email updates since I signed this petition. I never expected it to do any good (it's not) but I figured it was a simple way to make our voices heard.

I don't know if these petitions have ever worked or not, but it seems to be more of a social media version of a pyramid scheme. They want me to share the petition, contribute money so they can spam others, etc.

Oh well.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Like a lot of you, I'm sure, I'm getting email updates since I signed this petition. I never expected it to do any good (it's not) but I figured it was a simple way to make our voices heard.

I don't know if these petitions have ever worked or not, but it seems to be more of a social media version of a pyramid scheme. They want me to share the petition, contribute money so they can spam others, etc.

Oh well.

Here's what Wiki has to say about change.org:

There has been debate and criticism[40][41] around the fact that Change.org is a for-profit business despite using the .org domain suffix rather than the commercial .com.

The site has been accused of fooling its users and hiding the fact that it is "a for-profit entity that has an economic incentive to get people to sign petitions".

"Change.org is being deliberately deceitful through the use of the change.org name. I'd suspect that the average change.org user does not know that Change.org is a for-profit corporation, and that the corporation plans on using the contact information being provided to them to earn revenue."
— Clay Johnson, [41]

Change.org spokesperson Charlotte Hill countered this criticism in a September 2013 article in Wired Magazine, saying, "We are a mission-driven social enterprise, and while we bring in revenue, we reinvest 100% of that revenue back into our mission of empowering ordinary people. It’s not just that we’re not yet making a profit – it’s that we are decidedly not for-profit.†[42]"

There is nothing holding any organization, person, or corporate entity to comply with these petitions. IMO it is "slacktivism" at it's finest.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Smith, who didn’t start following hockey until he was asked to perform in Foxboro, said he has a new favorite team.

“The Bruins,†he said. Good answer!

No. That's a terrible answer. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead I think quite possibly that he's figured out a way to bandwagon worse than someone who became a fan in June 2011. Yes, his high-pitched voice is "built" for the anthem - but what happened to working his way up?

Methinks NBC will make sure to get the "sound mix" right to drown out the boos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad