OT: Football Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Athletes (and others) get carried away with $$$ signs. Could have just spent 20% of his earnings while investing the rest in the S&P and been set for life.

Well, the other problem is a lot of times they are taken advantage of by a manager or unscrupulous business partner. It's just the nature of the beast in that they can't be on top of all of that at all times (and most just aren't educated enough).

I do feel really badly for some of these guys.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Well, the other problem is a lot of times they are taken advantage of by a manager or unscrupulous business partner. It's just the nature of the beast in that they can't be on top of all of that at all times (and most just aren't educated enough).

I agree but some pro leagues like the NFL make the kids go through a program to avoid this sort of stuff. I understand how guys make poor decisions in their early 20s but I would hope that by their second or third contract they learned their lesson. Its not only poor investments. Lots of wasted spending, gambling, gifts, numerous kids, etc as well. Some but not many live nice but modest lifestyles.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Guys really ought to only sign with reputable agencies. That would be my one thing to impart. Sign with an established agency, they will have people to handle your finances. Don't let your boy from the neighborhood take care of your money.

Of course, you still have to take care of your own behaviors. Unfortunately so many guys grow up where a big part of "making it" means spending absurd amounts of money on ridiculous shit, and they can't help themselves.

Some guys, it feels like they were destined to land in financial ruin. Russell is one. That shit is always sad to me.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Guys really ought to only sign with reputable agencies. That would be my one thing to impart. Sign with an established agency, they will have people to handle your finances. Don't let your boy from the neighborhood take care of your money.

Of course, you still have to take care of your own behaviors. Unfortunately so many guys grow up where a big part of "making it" means spending absurd amounts of money on ridiculous shit, and they can't help themselves.

Some guys, it feels like they were destined to land in financial ruin. Russell is one. That shit is always sad to me.
One thing that the NFL has that I agree with is agents fees are 3%. None of that 10% nonsense as far as I know.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm a Giants fan so its none of my business but if I was a Jets fan I might be a bit skeptical. This trip just coincidentally falls on the 2 days of camp? A guy making $35 mill a year cant change his flight or hotel reservation?
Personally, I don't care what football players do in June. It's been shown over and over that being at camp or not has no impact on performance with how the CBA watered down the rules for practices. Meanwhile the jets knew about Rodgers trip 8 months in advance and decided to fine him anyway.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Personally, I don't care what football players do in June. It's been shown over and over that being at camp or not has no impact on performance with how the CBA watered down the rules for practices. Meanwhile the jets knew about Rodgers trip 8 months in advance and decided to fine him anyway.
Well I could be 100% wrong but I just find it hard to believe that Rodgers wanted to be there. I'm surprised to hear that he scheduled a trip 8 months in advance and somehow it ends up right on the 2 days of camp. It may not mean anything. I just find the story to be fishy. Lets say I'm AR and I do want to be at camp. I pick up the phone and I call the airline/hotel and say hey lets do that trip a week after camp or a week before camp.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!

To be fair, some athletes are hugely to blame themselves.

Holyfield had a mansion on the outskirts of Atlanta with like 20 bedrooms. The taxes drilled through his money.

Tyson surprised his friends with a new car on his birthday. He even bought flat-screen TVs for his tigers, white Bengal tigers on top of that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
To be fair, some athletes are hugely to blame themselves.

Holyfield had a mansion on the outskirts of Atlanta with like 20 bedrooms. The taxes drilled through his money.

Tyson surprised his friends with a new car on his birthday. He even bought flat-screen TVs for his tigers, white Bengal tigers on top of that.
I never understand wanting so many rooms. Its a lot of upkeep. I know people will say they hire people but even hiring people is still work to keep up with.

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I never understand wanting so many rooms. Its a lot of upkeep. I know people will say they hire people but even hiring people is still work to keep up with.

Wife and I are looking for a two bedroom house in Westchester. They are virtually nonexistent. Average house is like four bedrooms.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Wife and I are looking for a two bedroom house in Westchester. They are virtually nonexistent. Average house is like four bedrooms.
Yes 2 bedroom are rare. 3-4 bedroom are the norm. That said there are 3 bedroom 1200 sq foot houses and 3 bedroom 3000 sq foot houses. The bedrooms are only a small part of the equation. I think agents suggest a minimum of 2 bathrooms and if possible a 2 car or larger garage. Hope you find something!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad