Rumor: Flyers will not bring back Michael Del Zotto or Nick Schultz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
MDZ - He definitly did enough for Philly to extend his NHL career, but he's nothing more than a 5 or 6 with some room to improve.

AMac - He could be serviceable on the right team, who has a good core of young cheap players. Ironically that will be Philly's defense next year. He could do well with a young team that can absorb his salary, who is also contending. Calgary, Edm, Tor.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Sadly, he has 3 seasons left with a $5 million cap hit.

If we buy him out, we are saving a over $4 million in cap space the first 3 years, but are then on the hook for $1.833 for an additional 3 years.

My guess is, they try to trade him with retention or with an asset to a cap floor team, and if they cannot, they buy him out the summer of 2018 with Phillipe Myers ready to be promoted.

2018-2019 Flyers Defense should be..

• Ivan Provorov (3rd year, 22 years old)
  • Shayne Gostisbehere (4th year, 25 years old)
  • Travis Sanheim (2nd year, 23 years old)
  • Phillipe Myers (1st year, 22 years old)
  • Samuel Morin (2nd year, 23 years old)
  • Robert Hagg (2nd year, 24 years old)
  • Radko Gudas (6th year, 28 years old)

No room or need for MacDonald.

With the buyout not really being the way to go salary retention would work. Retain 1.5-2.0 & we save 3.0-3.5 in cap for the 3 years. @ that price teams are likely to take a chance on him & even trade something worthwhile (rather than an = salary dump).
As is the Flyers have 15 million in cap space with 16 players signed. Ghost needs to be re-signed & it would be nice to have a starting goalie so that takes a big bite out of the 15 like 8-9 million. Even with ELCs filling the holes on D (say 3 million with bonuses allowed for) that leaves about 3 to fill our the front end with @ least 2 players needed. If (big if) LV takes Neuvirth that's 2.5 - whatever Stolarz signs for as RFA so again no saving.
It's time to be shed of the last of the stupid Homer signings & make this truely Hex's team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sadly, he has 3 seasons left with a $5 million cap hit.

If we buy him out, we are saving a over $4 million in cap space the first 3 years, but are then on the hook for $1.833 for an additional 3 years.

My guess is, they try to trade him with retention or with an asset to a cap floor team, and if they cannot, they buy him out the summer of 2018 with Phillipe Myers ready to be promoted.

2018-2019 Flyers Defense should be..

• Ivan Provorov (3rd year, 22 years old)
  • Shayne Gostisbehere (4th year, 25 years old)
  • Travis Sanheim (2nd year, 23 years old)
  • Phillipe Myers (1st year, 22 years old)
  • Samuel Morin (2nd year, 23 years old)
  • Robert Hagg (2nd year, 24 years old)
  • Radko Gudas (6th year, 28 years old)

No room or need for MacDonald.

Too many rookies or sophomores. 2 make the team next year supposedly, maybe a third mid-season (Sanheim or Morin) There will be nobody to bench any of them for, either.

I'm hoping MacDonald is bought out, but there's been no indication from Hextall that he's desperate to do it, and we know Hakstol is ride-or-die with him.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
You don't think the kids are up for the majority of 18-'19, GKJ? I know Hextall likes the slow bake, but they have to play at some point.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think MDZ is the buy-low candidate of the offseason. He obviously has some offensive potential.

Sign him cheap, put him in a sheltered, offensive role with PP time, watch him put up some points, and slowly "reform" him. The you can flip him at the TDL for an inflated return to a team that needs some mobility and puck-movement from the blueline.

Honestly, he's a perfect candidate for Vancouver to target. Feed him sheltered, top four minutes as a replacement for the hopefully traded Edler and/or Tanev, then flip him at the deadline for more assets. We're not going anywhere next season anyway. May as well stock up the cupboards.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If the kings loose McNabb and greene retires I could see MDZ being of interest in la. He can help our crappy pp provide a bit of veteran experience for forbort ladue gravel

Del Zotto even when things are going good sucks on the PP. He's good offensively off the rush & in transistion but he's useless when setup in the zone from the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad