Rumor: Flyers will not bring back Michael Del Zotto or Nick Schultz

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
It was always likely, but now it’s official — defensemen Michael Del Zotto and Nick Schultz won’t be back in Philadelphia next season.

Del Zotto was informed of the decision by Flyers GM Ron Hextall earlier this week. It marks the end of a three-year run with the Flyers, which included Del Zotto matching a career-high with 10 goals during the ’14-15 campaign.
Schultz, 34, knew of his fate earlier. Like Del Zotto, he’s spent the last three years in Philly and, also like Del Zotto, is being allowed to walk in free agency so the club can usher in its prized young defensemen.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/flyers-parting-ways-with-del-zotto-schultz/

I'm a little surprised at Del Zotto, he should have some offers elsewhere.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/flyers-parting-ways-with-del-zotto-schultz/

I'm a little surprised at Del Zotto, he should have some offers elsewhere.

Not only them but they should dump MacDonald too. There's plenty of bad contracts in the NHL, Maybe they can trade bad contracts with another team and hope it works out for both parties.

As of now, I can see the Flyers going into next year with hopes of Hagg and Morin being on the roster and signing a FA veteran defenseman.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think MDZ is the buy-low candidate of the offseason. He obviously has some offensive potential.

Sign him cheap, put him in a sheltered, offensive role with PP time, watch him put up some points, and slowly "reform" him. The you can flip him at the TDL for an inflated return to a team that needs some mobility and puck-movement from the blueline.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Very erratic seasons in Philadelphia, he was great offensively in his first season here, then great defensively in the second. This year was a mess, though.

Absolutely fine not bringing him back, but don't think he's a bad buy on a one or two season contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a Gagner season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
MDZ had one season of good ES production with us, and one season of good defense. He never manage to combine the two. This season was really disappointing.

He's a guy with the potential to bring value at a low price.

Edit: Yeah, what he^^^ said

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I think MDZ is the buy-low candidate of the offseason. He obviously has some offensive potential.

Sign him cheap, put him in a sheltered, offensive role with PP time, watch him put up some points, and slowly "reform" him. The you can flip him at the TDL for an inflated return to a team that needs some mobility and puck-movement from the blueline.

Ideally he's someone that Detroit goes after. He should take the role of Kronwall as I suspect he'll be LTIR soon and the only LHD that would be ahead of him would be DeKeyser. Having MDZ on the 2nd pairing isn't awful and he'd act as a decent stop gap and should be able to bring back something similar to what Smith got us this year.

DeKeyser-Green
MDZ-Jensen
Ouellet-Ericsson
Russo

It's still an awful defence but it shows just how much of a help MDZ would be to the Wings defence.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
3 pair LHD for the Jets if they can get Del Zotto for cheap, but dunno about Tinder and pr0n-stars in Winnepeg...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
MDZ was hampered by injures and not being that physical. If you getting a lot of pts that can off set physical--MDZ was never that good in his own zone and that was the flyers need

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
MDZ was hampered by injures and not being that physical. If you getting a lot of pts that can off set physical--MDZ was never that good in his own zone and that was the flyers need

Tbf to him over his time in Philly he became pretty physical. Clocking 3 hits a game compared to the ~1.5 he had over career before joining them.

And in his 2nd year played darn well defensively. He also PKed really well.

First 2 years on the Flyers he played at ~#4 level. This year he was just really inconsistent and did not play that well until the end of the season.

He should land somewhere. He is pretty good offensively at 5v5 (not great on PP though) and not awful defensively these days. Can be a #4 when playing well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Del Zotto's big problem limited/low hockey IQ/on-ice vision? He seems to have the physical tools to be a consistent top four guy in the NHL, but always seems to fall short.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not only them but they should dump MacDonald too. There's plenty of bad contracts in the NHL, Maybe they can trade bad contracts with another team and hope it works out for both parties.

As of now, I can see the Flyers going into next year with hopes of Hagg and Morin being on the roster and signing a FA veteran defenseman.

These aren't bad contracts. These are expired contracts.

Del Zotto was bad with NYR. They traded him the Nashville for not much. He was so bad in Nash that they just let him walk as an RFA.

Nobody wanted him in FA. Philly was desperate for D but didn't sign him till Aug. 5. They signed him cheap, 1x1.3.

He gave them 1 good year and they extended him 2x3.875. He went right back into the dumpster so now they are done with him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
These aren't bad contracts. These are expired contracts.

Del Zotto was bad with NYR. They traded him the Nashville for not much. He was so bad in Nash that they just let him walk as an RFA.

Nobody wanted him in FA. Philly was desperate for D but didn't sign him till Aug. 5. They signed him cheap, 1x1.3.

He gave them 1 good year and they extended him 2x3.875. He went right back into the dumpster so now they are done with him.

The 1st year of that second contract was by far his best year in Philly, but sure. Feel free to spew nonsense.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Is Del Zotto's big problem limited/low hockey IQ/on-ice vision? He seems to have the physical tools to be a consistent top four guy in the NHL, but always seems to fall short.

I think his biggest problem offensively is that he usually isn't much of a threat on the cycle or PP. His best moments come on the rush. He's not subtle. he doesn't trick anyone. If he looks like he's shooting, he's shooting. If he looks like he's passing to a guy, he is passing to that guy. He's predictable and easy to defend.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flyers will promote either Morin, Hagg Myers or Sanheim. Flyers need to address scoring issues, special team issues like PK, coaching issues and general 5 on 5 problems.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why not MDZ? Seemed like a good fit. If we can move (or lose) Dillon or Martin, I'd inquire.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why not MDZ? Seemed like a good fit. If we can move (or lose) Dillon or Martin, I'd inquire.

The Flyers have a lot of defense prospects at the pro level next year. If they brought Del Zotto back it would push everybody down a slot. Samuel Morin & Robert Hagg have multiple AHL seasons under their belts. Travis Sanheim is finishing his first year in the AHL. While Philippe Myers & Mark Friedman are going to be playing their first year of pro next year.

Del Zotto's coming off a poor season which makes the decision even easier to cut bait & start the youth movement. I think Del Zotto would be a good low cost move for another team though like he was when the Flyers first acquired him.

Schultz is pretty cooked at this point. I think he'll probably be forced in retirement.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The Flyers have a lot of defense prospects at the pro level next year. If they brought Del Zotto back it would push everybody down a slot. Samuel Morin & Robert Hagg have multiple AHL seasons under their belts. Travis Sanheim is finishing his first year AHL. While Philippe Myers & Mark Friedman are going to be playing their first year of pro next year.

Del Zotto's coming off a poor season which makes the decision even easier to cut bait & start the youth movement. I think Del Zotto would be a good low cost move for another team though like he was when the Flyers first acquired him.

Fair enough. It's not like a player like him is rare, it just seems strange at first glance. The Flyers have an awfully exciting group of young d-men though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Del Zotto would be a good pick up for NJ to shore up their depth and add some offense on the back end.

Shero loves to buy low on these guys.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Always liked MDZ. Hope he lands on his feet in a good situation somewhere, kind of like Justin Schultz did with the Pens.

YennoItFlames

Sep 1, 2016
How do Philly fans think MDZ would play with Brodie on the 2nd pair? Brodie honestly plays better on the right side, and he's not physical himself, would MDZ be okay as a #4/5 dman on a top 3 heavy team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad