Proposal: Flyers & Red Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

captain9nyr

@captain9nyr
Feb 4, 2009
Hammonton, NJ
Flyers trade Claude Giroux and Michael Neuvirth

to Red Wings for Dylan Larkin, Justin Abdelkader, and Jimmy Howard.

Flyers rationale: The Flyers continue to build towards youth and a long-term contending plan. The X-Factor is Giroux, who will turn 29 this season, and by the time the Flyers project to be a real contender, probably is 32 if not older. Giroux is the oldest top 9 forward the Flyers have, not counting Matt Read, because Matt Read is Matt Read. They get younger in a big way in Larkin, but also add Abdelkader who can play wing immediately for them. Jimmy Howard has to come back the other way to make the cap work, but it helps the Flyers continue an organizational rebuild.

Red Wings rationale: The Red Wings are starting to get older in age, primarily talking about Zetterberg and Franzen, and even Nielsen is already 32, so this group really only has so many shots at a Cup while Zetterberg is playing. They can go with Mrazek as the starter and use Neuvirth as a more capable backup, while getting out from the under the Howard contract. Giroux would immediately be the #1 center, which they tried to get with Stamkos and couldn't, and didn't really get in Nielsen. If they want to take a few more runs at a Cup while they have Zetterberg's services and Franzen's services, time is ticking.

The salary cap here based on Cap Friendly figures has the Flyers sending out $9.9M and the Red Wings sending out $10.46M, saving the Red Wings 566k against the cap.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Flyers rationale: The Flyers continue to build towards youth and a long-term contending plan. The X-Factor is Giroux, who will turn 29 this season, and by the time the Flyers project to be a real contender, probably is 32 if not older. Giroux is the oldest top 9 forward the Flyers have, not counting Matt Read, because Matt Read is Matt Read. They get younger in a big way in Larkin, but also add Abdelkader who can play wing immediately for them. Jimmy Howard has to come back the other way to make the cap work, but it helps the Flyers continue an organizational rebuild.

Red Wings rationale: The Red Wings are starting to get older in age, primarily talking about Zetterberg and Franzen, and even Nielsen is already 32, so this group really only has so many shots at a Cup while Zetterberg is playing. They can go with Mrazek as the starter and use Neuvirth as a more capable backup, while getting out from the under the Howard contract. Giroux would immediately be the #1 center, which they tried to get with Stamkos and couldn't, and didn't really get in Nielsen. If they want to take a few more runs at a Cup while they have Zetterberg's services and Franzen's services, time is ticking.

The salary cap here based on Cap Friendly figures has the Flyers sending out $9.9M and the Red Wings sending out $10.46M, saving the Red Wings 566k against the cap.

Hextall deletes Holland from his contacts list.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
While Giroux is clearly a huge add and Detroit would be happy to have him, your logic about taking a couple more kicks at the can makes no sense

If they were going to take runs at the cup, they would've done it while Datsyuk was still around, no? Or how about Lidstrom?

Zetterberg is not capable of being an integral part of a cup run any longer and Franzen is LTIRetired

captain9nyr

@captain9nyr
Feb 4, 2009
Hammonton, NJ
While Giroux is clearly a huge add and Detroit would be happy to have him, your logic about taking a couple more kicks at the can makes no sense

If they were going to take runs at the cup, they would've done it while Datsyuk was still around, no? Or how about Lidstrom?

Zetterberg is not capable of being an integral part of a cup run any longer and Franzen is LTIRetired

I was unaware that Franzen wasn't coming back. Sorry about that.

As far as Datsyuk goes, I don't know that they knew he wasn't going to be there this year, but your point is taken.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If Detroit adds Andreas Athanasiou then I'd say the flyers might go for this trade. Athanasiou would be a nice option as the 3rd line centre for Philadelphia.

It's the least Detroit can do, if the Flyers gotta deal with Howard for the next 3 years.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Zetterberg isn't a core piece of a cup contending team anymore nor a reason to take a run for it. With that said, I'd probably still do the trade because the value greatly favours Detroit.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
OP, looking at your screen name, I can't help but feel there's some ulterior motive here in trying to get the Flyers to trade their best player without a massive return.

Clearly, if we were trading G, which we are not, we would expect more back.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
While there´s absolutly no way the Flyers make this trade, I don´t think the Red Wings would either. They probably rather hang on to Larkin thinking long term

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Scratch howard, abelkader, both have horrible contracts, remove Neuwirth aswell, then start add to Larkin, some good pieces, and then hextall starts listening..... I guess AA, mantha, shvechnikov (spelling) etc etc

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Give us Sanheim, I'll write you a blank check. You already have Ghost and Provorov, you don't need em.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'd be beyond shocked. Like, call in to work because I can't move, shocked... if Larkin was traded.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What is with the slew of bad Flyers proposals lately?

Not enough to get Giroux.

Red Wings shouldn't move larkin for Giroux - they dont have the supporting cast on D to compete yet either, much like the Flyers.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If there was to be a trade between the two clubs, it would be Philly sending a D Detroit's way.

Although Giroux would be great, I have a tendency to keep the youngins around and try to focus on getting some young defensemen.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think there is a deal to be made between RW and Flyers, just not this one. RWs have a surplus of good young forwards and Flyers have the same with D prospects. Biggest issue is Holland almost never making significant trades IMO.

As to the proposal in the OP, it's an interesting idea, but not very realistic.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
I'll take Larkin + AA + 1st for Giroux

Are u sure u don't want Mantha as well????

-Larkin is NOT going anywhere. He is a superstar in the making and will be the Wings' captain after Zetts retires.

-AA and 2017 1st. would only be moved, as part of a package, for a true top pair Dman.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

-Larkin is NOT going anywhere. He is a superstar in the making and will be the Wings' captain after Zetts retires.

-AA and 2017 1st. would only be moved, as part of a package, for a true top pair Dman.

And what top pairing Dman gets traded for a 3rd line C and a mid 1st?

We just saw Larsson go for a top 5 LW in the game.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not enough for Giroux and makes no sense for Detroit, who really need to embrace a youth movement for once.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

Simple NO.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016

[QUOTE=Tripod;121323275]And what top pairing Dman gets traded for a 3rd line C and a mid 1st?

We just saw Larsson go for a top 5 LW in the game.[/QUOTE]

Should have said that AA and 1st. would be part of a larger package for a top pair dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad