Rumor: Flyers Made Pitch to Columbus for 4th Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
yes, that's my point.

But others are saying it should be TK, not Farabee - that doesn't satisfy the org needs anymore than Farabee either, and that's my point. It's just being petulant about demanding more value just because. Deals aren't made without some set purpose.
Perhaps. I at least see the point with TK - he's experienced and a glue guy, so that's technically closer to one of our needs. But I can also easily see how that takes a proposal that's already "holy hell, no" for the Flyers into "I will see the world burn first" territory.

Reactions: Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Perhaps. I at least see the point with TK - he's experienced and a glue guy, so that's technically closer to one of our needs. But I can also easily see how that takes a proposal that's already "holy hell, no" for the Flyers into "I will see the world burn first" territory.
Which is why these deals NEVER happen.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Just did and it’s worse than I thought. You want the Flyers 2025 1st?! That’s insane. That may very well be close to the Jackets’ pick right now if they are trading Laughton and Farabee. For sure with TK traded. And it’s supposed to be a better high end draft next year.

If Demidov slips, I get it. High end talent like that is not worth quantity. But I don’t think he makes it to 4 and you have a GM trying to trade to 4 a day before the draft even starts. That’s such an easy yes for me.
I'll add:

Farabee + 12 + Col 1st package would definitely and easily land players like Zegras, or Rossi, or other high end blue chipper prospects, so IMO, if value is the primary basis for this deal, iCLB s losing out. Fit is understandable.

IMO, this is what is going to happen. If CLB says no, we'll see Farabee + our 2nd first go for one of those types.

I'll caveat this by I'm assuming it's Farabee: if it's Laughton, I don't think value is there, and if it's TK, I don't think value back is there for the Flyers.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I'll add:

Farabee + 12 + Col 1st package would definitely and easily land players like Zegras, or Rossi, or other high end blue chipper prospects, so IMO, if value is the primary basis for this deal, is losing out.

IMO, this is what is going to happen. If CLB says no, we'll see Farabee + our 2nd first go for one of those types.
Then that is fine...we will draft #4 and get a hopefully quality prospect. The thing too is with these draft picks its also basically 7 years of cost controlled assets. When you get a Zegras or a Rossi they are a bit closer to getting the bag with a great payday.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's entirely fair, and I think it makes good sense for the Flyers to walk away. There's other teams to talk to that might be more reasonable or have more need for what y'all have.

Yeah, my first instinct here is to take the same offer straight to Pat Verbeek, see if Anaheim's buying what we're selling more readily. The problem from an institutional needs perspective is that our need, center, seems to be your need as well. What could close the gap here is if Waddell's valuation of Lindstrom isn't high enough to justify using #4 on him, and that I can't know.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll add:

Farabee + 12 + Col 1st package would definitely and easily land players like Zegras, or Rossi, or other high end blue chipper prospects, so IMO, if value is the primary basis for this deal, iCLB s losing out. Fit is understandable.

I think it still depends on what those teams need, but yeah, it's plausible. And it makes sense for y'all to go after such an arrangement rather than us, considering. I just don't see that Colorado 1st plus another one of our wingers (acting on the presumption that Farabee makes one or more of 'em expendable) being the right kind of fit to make a deal for the shutdown guy we need, and so I don't think it works for us.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Yeah, my first instinct here is to take the same offer straight to Pat Verbeek, see if Anaheim's buying what we're selling more readily. The problem from an institutional needs perspective is that our need, center, seems to be your need as well. What could close the gap here is if Waddell's valuation of Lindstrom isn't high enough to justify using #4 on him, and that I can't know.
Going to be completely honest like I said earlier...the door to the top 5 isn't through us its through the Ducks...I think everyone agrees they are looking Blue Liner right now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Our draft need is basically "as high an upside as we can possibly get" (because we have a lot of good prospects; we need a shot at someone elite), so y'all are kind of boned regardless. ;)
The roster need is Shutdown Defense, and the Flyers don't have that for sale.
So, not much room to work with either way.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I think it still depends on what those teams need, but yeah, it's plausible. And it makes sense for y'all to go after such an arrangement rather than us, considering. I just don't see that Colorado 1st plus another one of our wingers (acting on the presumption that Farabee makes one or more of 'em expendable) being the right kind of fit to make a deal for the shutdown guy we need, and so I don't think it works for us.
Yup, that's fine. Like I said, from a value perspective, I think it's an overpay. From a fit perspective, I can see the rationale for rejection.

Reactions: Viqsi and Indy18

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'll add:

I'll caveat this by I'm assuming it's Farabee: if it's Laughton, I don't think value is there, and if it's TK, I don't think value back is there for the Flyers.

Totally not worth it. Trade TK and Laughton and probably have 6 1sts the next two years.

Nope. You stopped short, because you're now complaining about something I already responded to.

Good luck to you. With the board unknown that package has tremendous value. If you end up with a big dman that has red flags, don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Reactions: Hexy4

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Oh dear god if they trade that pick and take another Dman that city is going to F****** burn to the ground tomorrow at this time.
That's the thing, Flyers are hopping to draft a F at 12 (Eisermen, Catton, Helenius, etc.). It's a position that MTL can uniquely do because they have plenty of D which is what this draft is full of. Flyers don't want D either... they want to trade up to nab one of the Fs.

But if MTL can nab Farabee, and 2 high picks...

It's enticing, for sure. The reason the Flyers do this is they have tons of Farabee types (solid, 50-60ish point forwards, some even with more upside). They really just need one more high end center and then surround them.

Reactions: Indy18

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I don’t know. On one hand Briere has balls. But on the other, I don’t want to give up one of the forwards that likely has to be involved. Also, I don’t think trading away a potential top 5 pick would be wise if they’re insisting on the 2025 PHI pick.

Flyers should be towards the bottom of the league. Especially with the goaltending unknown.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Would that really help Montreal, tho? I kind of got the impression that they were in the same prospect developmental phase as us and so would have similar issues. But if it works for them, hey, okay.
Like I said, I don't see much difference between #3-12 OA in term of upside in this particular draft. After Demidov, anyone could become the best player easily in 5 years.

Same tier for me.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I don’t know. On one hand Briere has balls. But on the other, I don’t want to give up one of the forwards that likely has to be involved. Also, I don’t think trading away a potential top 5 pick would be wise if they’re insisting on the 2025 PHI pick.

Flyers should be towards the bottom of the league. Especially with the goaltending unknown.
Even as metro rivals I applaud the "balls" here to even try.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Like I said, I don't see much difference between #3-12 OA in term of upside in this particular draft. After Demidov, anyone could become the best player easily in 5 years.

Same tier for me.
I suppose. I haven't really gotten that impression myself, but I wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong on that, so who the heck knows.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Flyers move up. Briere has been saying he wants to move up. I think four is too optimistic. I figure the better option would be seven.

But if he really wants to make a splash, maybe he’ll take a dump or try making a player work who isn’t on another team.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Love it. So opposite to Fletcher.

I think the reality is that you really only need 2-3 super high end players, and the rest is depth. Trying to build a team if superstars isn't any type of gaurantee, and isn't really even feasible in a cap era.

The closest thing we have is COL, and they've "only" won 1 cup. It still takes an insane amount of luck and timing.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Love it. So opposite to Fletcher.

I think the reality is that you really only need 2-3 super high end players, and the rest is depth. Trying to build a team if superstars isn't any type of gaurantee, and isn't really even feasible in a cap era.

The closest thing we have is COL, and they've "only" won 1 cup. It still takes an insane amount of luck and timing.
You have the cheat code in Mitchkov coming soon on 3 year ELC. I really applaud the Flyers taking the chance here even at a high blood cost potential. Like I said the ducks are probably a better partner or see what you can get from Seattle. They need more quality wingers as they are pretty set down the center.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad