Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't it reported that Johansen wanted to play when was traded here but the Flyers were like nah?
Have to go back through the thread, Friedman had been spelling it out.

They buried him to the media when they got him, citing the culture, while actively trying to trade him.

They wanted him to go to the Phantoms, he then wanted to try and work things out to play in the NHL. Flyers were not much interested

Injury magically appeared out of nowhere, and he wasn’t seen again.

As always, timing is everything. What’s the play? And why now? It’s still 3 weeks to camp. Clearly, they thought they were going to be presented to a situation they were not going to have control in when it came time to report.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He played 63/63 games for Colorado then said he was injured as soon as he was traded to avoid playing in the AHL and avoid being bought out. Always seemed fake.

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
If it's a material breach serious enough to warrant terminating a contract, why do the Flyers have to buy him out? Why can't the contract just be voided? In my experience, when there's been a "material breach" of contract, I've seen the person just turfed and not compensated. They violated the terms of the contract, so the contract no longer applied.

Either way, the Johansen situation never seemed right.

Side note. It was interesting seeing Ryan Ellis on IG playing golf. Wouldn't the same rules potentially apply to him?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If it's a material breach serious enough to warrant terminating a contract, why do the Flyers have to buy him out? Why can't the contract just be voided? In my experience, when there's been a "material breach" of contract, I've seen the person just turfed and not compensated. They violated the terms of the contract, so the contract no longer applied.

Side note. It was interesting seeing Ryan Ellis on IG playing golf. Wouldn't the same rules potentially apply to him?
There’s no mention of buy out that I’ve seen. This seems to be exactly what you described. Clean separation.

If that comes to pass than it’s a good move by the Flyers front office but how they got there is littered with pettiness on their end.

Regarding Ellis, golf is different than playing ice hockey so don’t think it’s enough to justify anything.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Material Breach:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club’s rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach.

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Unconditional waivers doesn't mean buyout. They're used in buyouts as well as terminations, but they aren't synonymous.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There’s no mention of buy out that I’ve seen. This seems to be exactly what you described. Clean separation.

If that comes to pass than it’s a good move by the Flyers front office but how they got there is littered with pettiness on their end.

Regarding Ellis, golf is different than playing ice hockey so don’t think it’s enough to justify anything.

Ah, thanks. I misread the statement.

Yeah, for Ellis, I know golf is a different sport but it got me thinking that the Flyers (if they wanted to pursue it) could question why he isn't even trying to play hockey. That just seemed to be a situation where he legitimately tried to find a solution for the first year or two, then both sides just eventually accepted that he won't play hockey anymore.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
nathan_fillion.gif

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
He got married on Saturday? Did they hit this guy with a termination on his honeymoon? :laugh:
that sounds like a Torts move...

I'm going to hazard a guess that if he was healthy enough to play in the NHL, but not healthy enough to play in the AHL, the material breach is catching him doing activity strenuous enough to prove he's faking the injury (as opposed to before, when we all knew it but couldn't prove anything.)
golfing with Ellis ???

🤣

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hayes. Gauthier. Kolosov. Johanssen.

Frost, Farabee, Couturier treated like shit.

Really working extra hard to make them a destination again Jonesy. :laugh:

Seeler. Hathaway. Deslauriers. Johnson.

We're a destination, alright. As I have a family history of strokes, I'll try not to think too long about the type of player destined for the WFC.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Really?

Say that again if it’s your money. A dude comes in and fakes an injury (to their belief) to avoid playing in the minors and is stealing $8M and they should just be ok with it?

I wonder what world some of you live in.

We need more information but it looks like the Flyers intended to cause an issue with ryjo from day one. Acquiring him with torts here was a red flag from the start

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I wonder when the hearing is going to be. As for getting the termination notice, the only other person that I can remember getting a termination notice like this would have been CM Punk and his termination notice arrived via FedEx on the day of his wedding.

Back to Johanson, this is such a black eye for the Flyers. They better have something rock solid because if they don't, you can bet every agent will be advising their clients to avoid Philadelphia. If only there were capable hockey executives running things......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad