Speculation: Flyers Fire Sale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Trade #3

To Vancouver: Keller, Frost, Risto

To Philly: Miller, Myers

Nuks fans do this without even doing research on who Keller, Frost, Risto are because it gets rid of anchor Myers.

Benning rejects this without even doing research on who Keller, Frost, Risto are because he loses Norris candidate Myers.

Reactions: Gurglesons

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
With Provorov, Couturier, Konecny, Farabee, Hayes, Atkinson, and Laughton all signed to long term deals, I don't think the Flyers are in an ideal position to blow it all up...

They remind me of the 2019 Blues team that won the Cup, so with the right additions and a little luck, they could be a playoff threat

Trade#1

To St. Louis: Sanheim

To Philly: 2022 1st, Scandella

Blues get a top 4 LD

Flyers add a 2022 1st, and a veteran Dman to help offset the loss of Sanheim

Trade #2

To Arizona: PHI's 2022 1st, STL's 2022 1st, Foerster, Tuomaala, York, JVR, Lindblom, Yandle

To Philly: Chychrun, Keller, Crouse

Yotes add 2 more 2022 1sts, and 3 solid prospects, while also clearing Keller's long term contract. JVR and Lindblom are a couple of expensive warm bodies to help them reach the cap floor next season. Yandle gets to finish what will most likely be his final season where he spent the bulk of his career

Philly get a top pairing LD on a team-friendly contract for the next 4 years, plus a couple of young middle 6 LW

Trade #3

Canucks get a top 6 LW who fits their core's timeline, a young C prospect who might benefit from a change of a scenery, while also clearing Myers' long term contract. Risto gives them a veteran RD to replace Myers for the rest of the season

Philly add an all-star calibre LW, and a veteran RD to help further solidify their 2nd pairing

Philly's post-trades lineup:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Miller - Hayes - Farabee
Crouse - Laughton - Atkinson

Provorov - Ellis
Chychrun - Myers
Scandella - Braun

Giroux's 8 million cap hit comes off the books this summer, so even if he's re-signed for say, 3 years at 5 million per, that creates the cap space needed to give Crouse a raise to 3 million, and re-sign Miller to an extension at approx. 7 million per
I would do that from a Canucks pov.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Nuks fans do this without even doing research on who Keller, Frost, Risto are because it gets rid of anchor Myers.

Benning rejects this without even doing research on who Keller, Frost, Risto are because he loses Norris candidate Myers.

I would do that from a Canucks pov.

Interesting...

I took my dog for a walk after posting the proposal, and on that walk I was questioning the deal from Vancouver's perspective

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Interesting...

I took my dog for a walk after posting the proposal, and on that walk I was questioning the deal from Vancouver's perspective
When looking at a trade from the Canucks perspective, there are two perspectives. Benning's perspective, and a logical persons perspective.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
With Provorov, Couturier, Konecny, Farabee, Hayes, Atkinson, and Laughton all signed to long term deals, I don't think the Flyers are in an ideal position to blow it all up...

They remind me of the 2019 Blues team that won the Cup, so with the right additions and a little luck, they could be a playoff threat

Trade#1

Blues get a top 4 LD

Trade #2

To Arizona: PHI's 2022 1st, STL's 2022 1st, Foerster, Tuomaala, York, JVR, Lindblom, Yandle

Yotes add 2 more 2022 1sts, and 3 solid prospects, while also clearing Keller's long term contract. JVR and Lindblom are a couple of expensive warm bodies to help them reach the cap floor next season. Yandle gets to finish what will most likely be his final season where he spent the bulk of his career

Philly get a top pairing LD on a team-friendly contract for the next 4 years, plus a couple of young middle 6 LW

Trade #3

Canucks get a top 6 LW who fits their core's timeline, a young C prospect who might benefit from a change of a scenery, while also clearing Myers' long term contract. Risto gives them a veteran RD to replace Myers for the rest of the season

Philly add an all-star calibre LW, and a veteran RD to help further solidify their 2nd pairing

Miller - Hayes - Farabee

Provorov - Ellis
Chychrun - Myers
Scandella - Braun

Giroux's 8 million cap hit comes off the books this summer, so even if he's re-signed for say, 3 years at 5 million per, that creates the cap space needed to give Crouse a raise to 3 million, and re-sign Miller to an extension at approx. 7 million per

These are GM trying to save his rear end at any and all cost moves (Fletch already did a few this past offseason), not fire sale trades. If the Flyers do mail it in, it's the pending UFA's that get traded first, not the young talent in the pipe line.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Trade #3:

Canucks get a top 6 LW who fits their core's timeline, a young C prospect who might benefit from a change of a scenery, while also clearing Myers' long term contract. Risto gives them a veteran RD to replace Myers for the rest of the season. Philly add an all-star calibre LW, and a veteran RD to help further solidify their 2nd pairing.

Lol I don't get the Canucks fans' hate on Tyler Myers, he's been one of the better guys on our backend.
Also, instead of Risto (too inconsistent and playing style is too risky) and Keller (we have enough smaller skilled wingers in Garland and Hoglander) if the PHI - ARI trade happened I would then push to swap Miller for Chychrun (Jakob is a top LD but Miller is a top LW/ C and versatile enough to play on both PP and PK units) and see if we could also swap Laughton instead for Myers (top-4 RD for 3rd line C probably makes for a fair trade). Vancouver needs help on defense and on the PK, plus up the middle.

Counter offer:
Miller, Myers for Chychrun, Laughton (for cap purposes, can also take on Lindblom or Braun)

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Lol I don't get the Canucks fans' hate on Tyler Myers, he's been one of the better guys on our backend.
Also, instead of Risto (too inconsistent and playing style is too risky) and Keller (we have enough smaller skilled wingers in Garland and Hoglander) if the PHI - ARI trade happened I would then push to swap Miller for Chychrun (Jakob is a top LD but Miller is a top LW/ C and versatile enough to play on both PP and PK units) and see if we could also swap Laughton instead for Myers (top-4 RD for 3rd line C probably makes for a fair trade). Vancouver needs help on defense and on the PK, plus up the middle.

Counter offer:
Miller, Myers for Chychrun, Laughton (for cap purposes, can also take on Lindblom or Braun)

Vancouver already has Hughes and OEL at LD... whereas Philly would have a greater need for Chychrun in their top 4

Also, I wouldn't consider that deal from Philly's perspective given the age and contracts of the players involved in your proposal

Would you trade Hughes + Dickinson (for cap purposes) for Petry + Drouin?

I know it's not a perfect example, but it's close enough to get my point across...

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Trade#1

Blues get a top 4 LD

Trade #2

Trade #3

Miller - Hayes - Farabee

Provorov - Ellis
Chychrun - Myers
Scandella - Braun

This is a whole lot of deck chair rearrangement. I'm...kinda impressed by the time you devoted to it, but it doesn't do anything to address the team's issues.

The Flyers suck ass because their system is bad, their special teams are garbage, and they don't have enough elite offensive talent (and their center depth isn't good, but it's serviceable). You maybe solve the first couple things there by firing the whole coaching staff. You don't solve the other things by trading a bunch of defensemen for a bunch of other defensemen.

They probably need to take the coaching staff route first, because they probably do have enough talent on the roster to be a playoff team. If that doesn't change things, then you consider burning it down.

I'd love to have Chychrun on the team, but he doesn't anchor a shutdown third line or reliably pop in goals on the PP.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
This is a whole lot of deck chair rearrangement. I'm...kinda impressed by the time you devoted to it, but it doesn't do anything to address the team's issues.

The Flyers suck ass because their system is bad, their special teams are garbage, and they don't have enough elite offensive talent (and their center depth isn't good, but it's serviceable). You maybe solve the first couple things there by firing the whole coaching staff. You don't solve the other things by trading a bunch of defensemen for a bunch of other defensemen.

They probably need to take the coaching staff route first, because they probably do have enough talent on the roster to be a playoff team. If that doesn't change things, then you consider burning it down.

I'd love to have Chychrun on the team, but he doesn't anchor a shutdown third line or reliably pop in goals on the PP.

The Flyers are 8 - 6, so they're a capable squad...

The proposals I made improve upon what's already in place... and swaps out the under-performing players with significant upgrades

If you think their center depth remains a concern, slide Miller to 2C, and drop Hayes down to 3C...

Crouse - Miller - Farabee
Laughton - Hayes - Atkinson

Provorov - Ellis
Chychrun - Myers
Scandella - Braun

IMO, that lineup looks as good as the Cup winning Blues team in 2019

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The Flyers are 8 - 6, so they're a capable squad...

The proposals I made improve upon what's already in place... and swaps out the under-performing players with significant upgrades

If you think their center depth remains a concern, slide Miller to 2C, and drop Hayes down to 3C...

Crouse - Miller - Farabee
Laughton - Hayes - Atkinson

Provorov - Ellis
Chychrun - Myers
Scandella - Braun

IMO, that lineup looks as good as the Cup winning Blues team in 2019

What I said is, the unfeasible onslaught of trades does not suddenly fix their completely impotent system and special teams. Konecny doesn't suddenly start scoring on the unchanged first line just because you've massively rearranged the rest of the roster. The Franchise Mode shit is cool to think about, but they need a new coach and a couple really high draft picks (that don't turn into Nolan Patrick).

You did a lot of work, but you've just moderately improved personnel on a team that lacks a winning framework. New tires on a car without an engine, basically.

The Flyers are not 8-6, they're 8-6-4. They have won 8 of the 18 games they have played, and they did most of those in the first two weeks of the season. Since, they have scored 21 goals in 13 games. They have won more of those than they should, thanks to pretty good defense and absolutely fabulous goaltending. But there are some serious, serious design flaws there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigkarl

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Even if the Flyers do go into sell mode, what becomes available?

No Brainer Rentals - Yandle/Braun/Brassard/Thompson/Jones
High Profile/ Potential Re-sign Rentals - Giroux/Ristolainen
Rental +1 - Van Reimsdyk/ Sanheim

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Even if the Flyers do go into sell mode, what becomes available?

No Brainer Rentals - Yandle/Braun/Brassard/Thompson/Jones
High Profile/ Potential Re-sign Rentals - Giroux/Ristolainen
Rental +1 - Van Reimsdyk/ Sanheim

Sanheim is likely gone in the offseason, not at the deadline.

It's unlikely they move Risto, just given the price that was paid.

The rest would be pretty accurate, though.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You think Giroux will be made available?

If the Flyers aren't in contention, they absolutely should make him available. Keep in mind, available does not mean cheap, though.

Giroux would be (arguably) the best rental in recent history and could push some amazing pieces into the pile. Giroux could also come back and re-sign (why would he?) In the off season. The bigger issue for me would be watching Fletcher piss away all those assets on another player like Riatolainen.

Reactions: 4thline

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
To be fair, sometimes it seems like a sizeable chunk of these boards feels that's exactly how teams should be managed. :)
I can envision an HF run NHL. 27 of 32 teams tearing it down at any given time every season after a handful of bad games.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Sanheim is likely gone in the offseason, not at the deadline.

It's unlikely they move Risto, just given the price that was paid.

The rest would be pretty accurate, though.
You really think Sanheim will be gone, what's the story there?

I imagine the Blues would be very interested FWIW. If they move Tarasenko they may have the cap room + pieces necessary for entice philly if Sanheim is really available...

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You really think Sanheim will be gone, what's the story there?

I imagine the Blues would be very interested FWIW. If they move Tarasenko they may have the cap room + pieces necessary for entice philly if Sanheim is really available...

The Flyers consistently misevaluate defensemen whose primary skill set is offensive. They try to train them into something they aren’t, keep them on a shorter leash than “steady physical presence” types like Hägg and now Risto, demote or bench them at the slightest provocation, and rarely if ever show any inclination to avail themselves of the skill set that is actually there. Sanheim appears to be set up to be our next scapegoat.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
HilariousUntimelyHeifer-max-14mb.gif

Carter Hart standing by himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad