Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It's a factor among many other factors. Each team has up/downs in the season with momentum/confidence and they will face injuries at bad times. I wonder if that hardest schedule factors in if we are facing teams on a back/back?

I'm expecting the Habs pick to be 5-10 range and the Panthers pick 8-16 range. I can see the Panthers slipping more or making a push and falling short.
Yea that's about where I see them finishing. Maybe The Habs get lucky with the lottery and end up with 2 top 10 picks.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems like leaving money on the table but I fear it's the right move with a high-value draft pick -- you don't gamble on those ones and picking a player out of Russia has a heightened risk of failure now even though it's not those players' fault whatsoever. I feel bad for them.

If he was on the board at 10 and we don't trade the Panthers pick for Dubois, I'd take Michkov with that pick and let him develop in Russia. Comes into the NHL at age 23 ish like Kaprisov?

I'd be willing to bet things settle down with Russia over a few more years.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
And FLA lost in the first round...AND he's not even on the team anymore.
Lmao.
I wish we could do the same with Edmundson but odds are, 2nd or 3rd pick
I am hoping for a late 1st but even a 2nd is good with a draft this deep. Or maybe they use The Panthers 1st and a 2nd to move up into the top 10....

there is lots of chances for The Habs to be creative this year.....

Reactions: Redux91

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If he was on the board at 10 and we don't trade the Panthers pick for Dubois, I'd take Michkov with that pick and let him develop in Russia. Comes into the NHL at age 23 ish like Kaprisov?

I'd be willing to bet things settle down with Russia over a few more years.
top 5 I wouldn't take him but after that yea Id take Michkov too. Its worth the risk.....

Reactions: Habs Halifax

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Bedard for Chiarot would be the worst trade in nhl history

Assuming this happens, I'd be ecstatic as a Habs fan, but that's a very unfair way to evaluate that transaction.

Florida traded Montreal an unprotected first - was Tampa's trade for David Savard one of the worst trade in NHL history?

At this point of the year, it's huge luck for Montreal that the Panthers have missed a lot of games from key players like Barkov, Ekblad and even from Duclair. They're still in the playoff race despite that, and might end just outside the playoffs if the pick is a lottery one.

Which would be another huge luck to win the lottery.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Toronto traded two unprotected 1st round picks (and a 2nd round pick) to Boston for Phil Kessel. Those first round picks ended up being 2nd overall and 9th overall.

Was that the last unprotected 1st traded until the Chiarot trade? Do you recall any others? Seems very rare

GalHabsGal

Dec 14, 2012
Just did a simulation on tankathon :)

1671734377136.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
would be karma for how they treated gallant when they fired him.
I am sure there is a lot of other karma reasons i am not aware of.

Karma for devaluing Patch in trade discussions with us back when and saying Borgstrom is untouchable. :laugh:

Just did a simulation on tankathon :)

View attachment 625321

I ran it a few times...

9, 11
1, 11,
9, 11,
9, 11,
11, 13
2, 11,
9, 11,
9, 11
1, 10,
9, 11,
10, 12,
9, 11,

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming this happens, I'd be ecstatic as a Habs fan, but that's a very unfair way to evaluate that transaction.

Florida traded Montreal an unprotected first - was Tampa's trade for David Savard one of the worst trade in NHL history?

At this point of the year, it's huge luck for Montreal that the Panthers have missed a lot of games from key players like Barkov, Ekblad and even from Duclair. They're still in the playoff race despite that, and might end just outside the playoffs if the pick is a lottery one.

Which would be another huge luck to win the lottery.

Why would the Savard trade be one of the worst in history? Tampa traded a late 1st, 3rd and 4th for him.

An unprotected 1st is worth more than a protected one. Panthers gave it up thinking they would be a playoff team, but also knowing there was a small possibility of it becoming a high pick. If that pick becomes the #1, It's not unfair to think of it as the panthers giving up the 1st overall for Chiarot since the risk was always there, and that's precisely why Hughes was adamant of getting an unprotected 1st round pick.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why would the Savard trade be one of the worst in history? Tampa traded a late 1st, 3rd and 4th for him.

An unprotected 1st is worth more than a protected one. Panthers gave it up thinking they would be a playoff team, but also knowing there was a small possibility of it becoming a high pick. If that pick becomes the #1, It's not unfair to think of it as the panthers giving up the 1st overall for Chiarot since the risk was always there, and that's precisely why Hughes was adamant of getting an unprotected 1st round pick.

My bad about the Savard trade - I though TB gave up a first in a future year.

But still, Florida didn't sent the 1st OA pick, they sent the chance of a first OA pick. In the very worst case scenario (florida finishing 32nd OA), thats an 18.5% chance at the first OA. But we all know that a team winning the President's trophy one year is highly likely to be a playoff team the next... so that chance was much lower than 18.5%

I agree that it was a bad trade, but worst in NHL history? Not really close...

Edit: Also, aren't all first pick trades ultimately unprotected if the conditions aren't met? That's kind of what happened to Colorado and Ottawa no? The protection kicked in the first year... then Ottawa flunked a 2nd year.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
I figured this thread would love to know that the odds are not looking good for Florida, and they'Re getting worse by the day:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
My bad about the Savard trade - I though TB gave up a first in a future year.

But still, Florida didn't sent the 1st OA pick, they sent the chance of a first OA pick. In the very worst case scenario (florida finishing 32nd OA), thats an 18.5% chance at the first OA. But we all know that a team winning the President's trophy one year is highly likely to be a playoff team the next... so that chance was much lower than 18.5%

I agree that it was a bad trade, but worst in NHL history? Not really close...

At the end of the day odds don't matter. The results are what trades are judged on.

Thats why the Drouin trade was a bad one for the habs. When the trade happened, the odds were a lot more favorable of Drouin becoming a star player than of Sergachev becoming a good defenseman. The results turned out quite different.

Edit: Also, aren't all first pick trades ultimately unprotected if the conditions aren't met? That's kind of what happened to Colorado and Ottawa no? The protection kicked in the first year... then Ottawa flunked a 2nd year.
Sure, but rarely does a traded 1st round pick ends up becoming a high pick. I don't think it ever happened that it became a 1st overall pick.

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009
I figured this thread would love to know that the odds are not looking good for Florida, and they'Re getting worse by the day:

I would never hope for injuries, but as the season drags on and their hopes of the playoffs dwindle, I would certainly hope for locker-room mutiny, off-ice drama, booooooing legions and general loss of all hope. Does that make me a bad guy?

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
lol, 10 more try to get this result, Please, let the hockey GoD be on our side :)

Bedard, Fantilli in the same draft would be unbelievable...

View attachment 625351
What makes you think this franchise will pick those players? They'll probably find some unknown player from Romania, where legend has it scored 2 goals in a game in his own country. But hey, he's REALLY good at doing interviews. :banghead:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad