Post-Series Talk: Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Now we can debate the Oilers fans all summer, on whether this was because of McDrai, or because of the Panthers. God forbid it was a combination of both!!!! They would die :biglaugh:

Oh C'mon... you know it was McD (not Drai). My arguments:
1) McD - I play hockey in four separate leagues in hockey-mad Boston, every single guy knows who he is. He packs buildings.
2) Oilers Bandwagon - there were at least some Canadian fans who jumped on the bandwagon to see Canada/McD bring it home.
3) Anti-Panthers - You get credit for this group, which includes Bruins fans and Rangers fans... You guys played on the edge (great hockey, btw) which certainly would have inspired some revenge votes.
4) Canadian Anti-Oilers - for as many recently Anti-Panthers fans as there were, there were MANY more "anyone-but-Oilers" fanbases including die-hard Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto fanbases... basically guys that can simply NOT cheer for another Canadian team, regardless... much respect to them, I am cut from that same cloth, lol.
5) 4-first Rounder Anti-Oilers: At least on this forum there are plenty... check through the Vegas, Tampa, etc victory threads and you won't find near as many fans reveling in the schadenfreude of the losing teams as you will here. And it's rarely Florida fans doing the dunking... almost entirely "neutral" fans who are somehow still motivated enough to savor

I count 4/5 groups there who's motivations were largely driven by the Oilers/Canadian/McD/GARRRR-ALL-THOSE-FIRST-ROUNDERS motivations. Honest question, but is there even a counterargument? The Oilers are a polarizing team for many.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
1) McD - I play hockey in four separate leagues in hockey-mad Boston, every single guy knows who he is. He packs buildings.
2) Oilers Bandwagon - there were at least some Canadian fans who jumped on the bandwagon to see Canada/McD bring it home.
3) Anti-Panthers - You get credit for this group, which includes Bruins fans and Rangers fans... You guys played on the edge (great hockey, btw) which certainly would have inspired some revenge votes.
4) Canadian Anti-Oilers - for as many recently Anti-Panthers fans as there were, there were MANY more "anyone-but-Oilers" fanbases including die-hard Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto fanbases... basically guys that can simply NOT cheer for another Canadian team, regardless... much respect to them, I am cut from that same cloth, lol.
5) 4-first Rounder Anti-Oilers: At least on this forum there are plenty... check through the Vegas, Tampa, etc victory threads and you won't find near as many fans reveling in the schadenfreude of the losing teams as you will here. And it's rarely Florida fans doing the dunking... almost entirely "neutral" fans who are somehow still motivated enough to savor

I count 4/5 groups there who's motivations were largely driven by the Oilers/Canadian/McD/GARRRR-ALL-THOSE-FIRST-ROUNDERS motivations. Honest question, but is there even a counterargument? The Oilers are a polarizing team for many.
6. And there are plenty, albeit a smaller group of hockey fans in the States like myself rooting against the Canadian team in order to keep the Canadian Cup Drought alive because it's hilarious and amazing.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg

1719427540928.png

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Now we can debate the Oilers fans all summer, on whether this was because of McDrai, or because of the Panthers. God forbid it was a combination of both!!!! They would die :biglaugh:

The viewership was driven by mostly 2 factors:

1. 0-3 comeback culminating in game 7. That's a really cool feat sure to get people talking/invested, regardless of teams

2. McDavid having a legendary run - people wanted to see what he might do in game 7

Neither of Florida or Edmonton are particularly huge markets. Those 2 factors helped drive viewership a lot. Especially the 0-3 comeback/game 7.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

6. The ice was bad.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
That is the classification of what a man is. McDavid looks like a beta male at this point blud.
No blud, the sigma that Connor is, he would have spent time with the locker room with his team. Like a general and his soldiers, instead of coming out and accepting a trophy that means nothing to the team like a true selfish beta would, blud.

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No blud, the sigma that Connor is, he would have spent time with the locker room with his team. Like a general and his soldiers, instead of coming out and accepting a trophy that means nothing to the team like a true selfish beta would, blud.
Fam, a true General is on the front lines fighting in the shade and limelight, not hiding behind the foot soldiers outside of arrow range in the locker room acting all depressed. He would be the one taking it on the chin and and focusing all the media attention on himself and less on everyone else. That is a true hero, like Matthew Tzuchuk.

Reactions: bdub24

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Combination of Sun Tzu and Tkachuk my fellow brethren. Now only if your Polish blood would make you choose a new team.:D

Timeout, I believe Tkachuk is Ukrainian in origin.
Yea he is lol
I can't help it man, came to Edmonton in '88, no way I wasn't going to be an Oilers fan.
At least I got to cheer for Czerkawski. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad