Eklund Rumor: Florida may have interest in JVR

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The deal seems fair to both teams.

Why are there so many JVR rumours? What's wrong with the guy?

nothing, he's a good player. It's tough to see him fitting into the Leafs' plans for 2 reasons: 1) he's about to get paid and the Leafs have some foreseeable cap constraints and 2) the Leafs have one of the deepest farm systems in the league and it's strongest position is wingers so there's a high likelihood of inexpensive replacements from the system

Leivo/Kapanen might be insta-fixes that generate passable levels of replacement offense at much lower prices, plus the Leafs get to re-stock the cupboards with the returns from a JVR trade

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i feel like the best fit for jvr would be the jets

jvr+pick+replacement RD for tyler myers?

- jets get more offence while getting flexibility for when they need to resign wheeler/little/trouba (as of right now they only major space they have is with enstrom expiring)
-this gets trouba more minutes which is something he has complained about in the past iirc, and if trouba plays on the second pairing this year that means myers is on the third pairing and myers is too good+makes too much money for the third pairing

leafs trade out of their surplus of offence plus said surplus has an expiring contract for a defenceman that has a bit more term. In a sense its a top 6 forward for a top 4 dman at the very least and the pick and prospect are there because myers actually has term on his contract

ready to get destroyed now

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

- jets get more offence while getting flexibility for when they need to resign wheeler/little/trouba (as of right now they only major space they have is with enstrom expiring)
-this gets trouba more minutes which is something he has complained about in the past iirc, and if trouba plays on the second pairing this year that means myers is on the third pairing and myers is too good+makes too much money for the third pairing

leafs trade out of their surplus of offence plus said surplus has an expiring contract for a defenceman that has a bit more term. In a sense its a top 6 forward for a top 4 dman at the very least and the pick and prospect are there because myers actually has term on his contract

I feel like you've never watched a jets game nor ever looked at their depth chart...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I don't think the Jets want JVR though. I thought they needed a centre to play behind Scheifele?
JVR is a coming UFA, who will get a big payday from someone. I think that might lower his value.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Could JVR be had for picks and prospects? Abramov/Milano +??

I am of the opinion that JVR can be had for picks/prospects. I think picks are more interesting that Abramov/Milano, our system is already very deep on the wings and our roster is already in a bit of a logjam there

1st+prospect in your #4-7 range is probably around what he'll command

Not that the Jets should sell low on Myers, but that package is worth a lot more than him at this point with his health.

JVR is probably also not an attractive target for WPG with Connor in the fold

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
^Face the facts, JVR is a rental for 1 yr and then he goes on the open market. No team is going to want to give up anything for that unless it's either at the TDL or before for a 25-60 player in the draft. Only thing viable is for the Leafs to sign him long term and trade him.......and JVR's agent isn't stupid enough to go that route. I say the Leafs see where they are at the TDL. If JVR is having phenomenal year and they have a shot at the cup, they will keep him and lose him for nothing at the end of the year. Tough choice but it's probably the only viable option.

Please help me understand.

In the summer, no one will want to trade assets for a player who they might lose as a free agent. Why trade assets for someone who you will only get one season out of?

But JVR might have value at the trade deadline?

You do realize that a bunch of games happen *before* the trade deadline, right? That it would be better to have a good player for a full season. Right?!?

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
nothing, he's a good player. It's tough to see him fitting into the Leafs' plans for 2 reasons: 1) he's about to get paid and the Leafs have some foreseeable cap constraints and 2) the Leafs have one of the deepest farm systems in the league and it's strongest position is wingers so there's a high likelihood of inexpensive replacements from the system

Leivo/Kapanen might be insta-fixes that generate passable levels of replacement offense at much lower prices, plus the Leafs get to re-stock the cupboards with the returns from a JVR trade

Which, of course, this trade does not accomplish.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

You are wrong about both teams...Jets don't need JVR, and the Leafs wouldn't deal him for Myers.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I feel like you've never watched a jets game nor ever looked at their depth chart...

ok im not going to sit here and pretend to be an expert on the jets but wouldnt jvr slot in before perrault and at the very least armia/dano.

laine/scheiffle/ehlers
jvr/little/wheeler or perrault/little/wheeler
perrault/lowry/connor or jvr/lowry/connor
insert 4th line here

if im missing a prospect or a player that is supposed to make the team then its my bad but i dont see how its a bad fit

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
ok im not going to sit here and pretend to be an expert on the jets but wouldnt jvr slot in before perrault and at the very least armia/dano.

laine/scheiffle/ehlers
jvr/little/wheeler or perrault/little/wheeler
perrault/lowry/connor or jvr/lowry/connor
insert 4th line here

if im missing a prospect or a player that is supposed to make the team then its my bad but i dont see how its a bad fit

as far as I know, Connor is a pure LW, I believe his second position was center. I think it's Connor that's slotting into the Jets' 2nd line LW spot

JVR only plays the left side

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
as far as I know, Connor is a pure LW, I believe his second position was center. I think it's Connor that's slotting into the Jets' 2nd line LW spot

JVR only plays the left side

ok thats where im wrong, thanks for explaining that :)

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I'm all for trading for JVR, but I don't see him fitting into Boughner's system of fast, intense, checking hockey.

He's never seemed like a very intesnse player to me.

But cats need wingers who can score. And JVR is that

I'd do Demers+McCann and something else for sure.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm all for trading for JVR, but I don't see him fitting into Boughner's system of fast, intense, checking hockey.

I will never call him a big bruising winger, but a quick youtube watch of a lot of his goals will show you that he scores a bunch from right in front of the net while taking abuse.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

He's a good secondary piece on the forecheck, if you have someone else go in the corner first to dig the puck out he's a good first pass option to keep the cycle going. Otherwise he makes his living within 5 feet of the net and the occasional wrist shot off the rush.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Please help me understand.

In the summer, no one will want to trade assets for a player who they might lose as a free agent. Why trade assets for someone who you will only get one season out of?

But JVR might have value at the trade deadline?

You do realize that a bunch of games happen *before* the trade deadline, right? That it would be better to have a good player for a full season. Right?!?

Any deal could involve a sign and trade, or the team acquiring him might be allowed to talk deal with him before the trade is finalized.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Eklund hasn't had a reliable rumour or called a trade in years. It's time we remove his prefix and stop giving any credence to anything he says. We should all be embarrassed by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad