Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Young players who have hockey skills should be prioritized over mindless PIM magnets.

I love a good energy guy, I think The Sheriff is a promising young player who I like very much, but with that said we don’t need to spend draft picks on PIM magnets over skilled youngsters who could one day be skilled NHL players.

Using a draft pick on this reckless penalty magnet seems increasingly ridiculous.
I think youre whining for no reason now.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Good fight. Love that he wants to be physical with fights and hits, nothing wrong with it. Soon enough though he'll need to learn about positioning, forechecking properly and being responsible. If he can be an energy guy, ala Kolesar in Vegas, that's perfect for this team moving forward. He has a couple of years to get it together but as they say, better to have the problem of reeling a kid in then having to push him everyday to be more into the game.
I love his enthusiasm and passion to get involved….I too am expecting and hoping that he would be more discreet and not just look for fights, but let them come to him. We can use his skill sets and Im glad we drafted him. After all we have plenty of munchkins who need protection.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The younger Xhekaj needs to learn how to play hockey and stop trying to emulate his big brother.
This is where our Development team NEEDS to step in and re-set the expectations to a hockey first discipline. His Big Bro's reputation is going to get him targeted and he needs to learn when to hold 'em. Continue to grow play physical let the hits happen naturally and own the net front.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This guy a double overager and drafted in the NHL should he be going so hard with all the extra this early in the season at this rate he going to burnout, being physical is one thing but this seem totally out of control…

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not either but at the same time, I do kinda like having someone who is capable of being nasty.. like when Gudas was unhinged, I appreciate in a meaningless regular season game that Florian would go and slewfoot his ass and fill his face in.
Yeah, exactly. I'll never wish injury on a player, but do like having a guy with sandpaper. I'm not huge for hockey fights, but sometimes having someone who can send a message will give a team second thoughts.

And if he can somehow score 30+ points a year... even f***ing better.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
First of all, of course an established NHL player would be drafted high in any redraft. But for every tough fighter who makes it to the NHL are hundreds who don’t. It’s not a good gamble even with a 7th round pick.

Secondly, Arber was a much better prospect than Florian at the same age. Have you seen Florian’s OHL stats? If is safe to say he is never going to be a NHL player.

This is nothing short of a terrible take.

The kid has NHL size and is a decent skater with underrated skills as he is now showing this season. Your last sentence just does not belong in a rational and honest discussion about Florian Xhekaj.

You are entitled to have your opinion on the kid but the hyperbolic drivel justs destroys any attempt to build a reasonable case to support your hypothesis.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
This is nothing short of a terrible take.

The kid has NHL size and is a good skater with underrated skills as he is now showing this season. Your last sentence just does not belong in a rational and honest discussion about Florian Xhekaj.

You are entitled to have your opinion on the kid but the hyperbolic drivel justs destroys any attempt to build a reasonable case to support your hypothesis.
At the moment of his draft he was not draft-worthy. If he shows more and different since then, that’s terrific — a credit to the scouts and development coaches and the player himself.

I don’t have any prejudice against or for the guy.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
At the moment of his draft he was not draft-worthy. If he shows more and different since then, that’s terrific — a credit to the scouts and development coaches and the player himself.

I don’t have any prejudice against or for the guy.

I would disagree that he was not draft worthy as would the entire Habs scouting department. They also indicated that they didn't believe he would be there much longer as they were very aware of interest from other NHL teams.

Using stats in a vacuum is not a credible method to scout players and everything that they said to justify the pick has proven to be true including a huge jump in production....that is what scouting is about.

I don't think you have any conscious prejudice against him just that you made an absolute statement that did not suggest a nuanced opinion that was being formed by neutral observation. We are all subject to different levels of bias and it is important to self audit our responses and adjust them accordingly to be as objective as possible.

Reactions: Runner77

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I would disagree that he was not draft worthy as would the entire Habs scouting department. They also indicated that they didn't believe he would be there much longer as they were very aware of interest from other NHL teams.

Using stats in a vacuum is not a credible method to scout players and everything that they said to justify the pick has proven to be true including a huge jump in production....that is what scouting is about.

I don't think you have any conscious prejudice against him just that you made an absolute statement that did not suggest a nuanced opinion that was being formed by neutral observation. We are all subject to different levels of bias and it is important to self audit our responses and adjust them accordingly to be as objective as possible.
Yep, the Habs took him "early" because they knew other teams was going to pick him soon. The draft is not just picking the highest name on your list when you are called to make your pick, sometimes you and a few teams have names way higher and you trigger early to get him, especially in later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad