Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That's not the point I was making. I was pointing out that Gallagher was not the same type of pick at all. He was a highly productive junior player.

Around these parts, you are as good as your last season.

It's as if Gallagher's prime years have been wiped off the hard drive and replaced with the last two years.

Lol. Nilan scored 20 one year, so I'd be thrilled also.

There were three straight where seasons he scored 15-20 goals while playing on a defensive line, and spending an eternity in the penalty box.

It gets overshadowed but nilan could actually play.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
I think the term "Mendoza line" from baseball makes for a good metaphor. That is, in baseball, catchers are more valued for their defense than their hitting, but if they hit less than .215, then they're probably not worth having on the team regardless of how good their defense is.

A particular skill might not be a particular player's game, but each player needs to achieve a minimum proficiency in certain particular skills to be adequate in the pros.

Mario Mendoza was a shortstop, the typical exemple of good field no hit. If you want to introduce a similar concept in hockey, I would call it the Locke line: good stats, no intangible.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Like I said before and you guys are proving my point, BPA is in the eye of the beholder. We know what HuGo did; what would have TimBer done?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mario Mendoza was a shortstop, the typical exemple of good field no hit. If you want to introduce a similar concept in hockey, I would call it the Locke line: good stats, no intangible.

No, the opposite, the idea is that every forward needs a minimum level of offensive effectiveness.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Like I said before and you guys are proving my point, BPA is in the eye of the beholder. We know what HuGo did; what would have TimBer done?
What's actually interesting is that they seemingly picked for BPA "too much" last year, then "not enough" this year. They came into this draft with a load of somewhat similar players in various aspects and a polarized prospect pool (small-ish with skill at forward, most Ds are LD, no goalie). Then, they tried to compensate this year. It seems as though they could've picked different skillsets last year to feel less stuck this year.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Around these parts, you are as good as your last season.

It's as if Gallagher's prime years have been wiped off the hard drive and replaced with the last two years.

There were three straight where seasons he scored 15-20 goals while playing on a defensive line, and spending an eternity in the penalty box.

It gets overshadowed but nilan could actually play.
Yes he could. Lol. Shock to many.

I forget who his Habs coach was at first, but Nilan said that coach was a big deal to him because the coach told him he was a hockey player, he could actually play the game and so to not just go out there looking to fight. It was the first times anybody had told him that.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I forget who his Habs coach was at first, but Nilan said that coach was a big deal to him because the coach told him he was a hockey player, he could actually play the game and so to not just go out there looking to fight. It was the first times anybody had told him that.

Yeah, he credit Claude ruel, his first coach, but most of all, he credits lemaire, who actually told him that he fights too much. He spent extra time with Nilan after practices to help make him a better player.

Reactions: Shred and yianik

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, he credit Claude ruel, his first coach, but most of all, he credits lemaire, who actually told him that he fights too much. He spent extra time with Nilan after practices to help make him a better player.
I had it mixed up , you are correct, it was Lemaire. Extra time in practice also. Thanks for correcting that.

Reactions: JianYang

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Well sure, but that would have been with our 5th overall. Mukhanov was available with our 4th or 5th.

Yeah, you need these type of players to get through the season and the playoffs.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Yearly reminder that a forward with that junior statline made it to NHL, played 500+ NHL games and was good enough to be entrusted with 15 minutes of icetime per game on a Stanley Cup Winner.

1999-0017Kelowna RocketsWHL669615-1396
2000-0118Kelowna RocketsWHL4088161106
2001-0219Kelowna RocketsWHL71101727-7197

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If he makes the NHL it will be because of his physicality, but if he doesn't make the NHL it will be because of a lack of hockey skill/iq.

I don't care too much about points, the growth I most want to see (Well read about as I doubt I'll watch many of his games) is his ability to read the play. Finishing your checks is all well and good, but reading the play so that your body check is timed to cause a turnover is where you'll find NHL value.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yearly reminder that a forward with that junior statline made it to NHL, played 500+ NHL games and was good enough to be entrusted with 15 minutes of icetime per game on a Stanley Cup Winner.

I didn't realize that Travis Moen and Josh Gorges were on the same junior team.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

We obviously don't know if Florian will pan out. But guys like him, Pez, Luke Tuch, and a few others who might not light it up on the score sheet, you really need to watch them to appreciate some of the things they do. You always want to see them produce, but that isn't uniquely what makes them effective.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

Lemaire

Reactions: yianik

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
We obviously don't know if Florian will pan out. But guys like him, Pez, Luke Tuch, and a few others who might not light it up on the score sheet, you really need to watch them to appreciate some of the things they do. You always want to see them produce, but that isn't uniquely what makes them effective.
For sure. Quality 3rd-4th liners are invaluable to building a playoff team. They have defined roles and if you have those players who are ready to buy into that, they'll bring energy and some additional scoring that is needed for any successful franchise.

Reactions: dralaf

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
For sure. Quality 3rd-4th liners are invaluable to building a playoff team. They have defined roles and if you have those players who are ready to buy into that, they'll bring energy and some additional scoring that is needed for any successful franchise.
What is more important is to have them on a near league's minimum contract. Travis Moyen is a good example of that. He was a very good and useful bottom 6 player when he was young and not paid much and worked hard, When he got paid and got older (and paid the price less) he was a far less effective player. The main advantage of developing your own bottom 6 guys is you can have them for cheap fore a few years during the time where they'll bleed to get paid. After that you must let another team pay them and move on to another guy.

Reactions: Deebs

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
The backlash on this pick could have been avoided if they didn't wait until the draft video in September to have our scouts tell us why they selected him.

That was the worst post draft presser in the history of the team. I still don't know what the hell they think of Volokhin, Miller, Harris, Eriksson or Mittelstadt.
No one ever accused Martin Lapointe of being eloquent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad