Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I think it needs to be said that Flint should be commended for a lot of things. First off, the fan support. It has been excellent for a first-year team in a rebuilding year. Kudos to all you.

Second, the players. Despite the record, I was thoroughly impressed with the discipline and commitment the team played with in my four viewings this year. They had a solid game plan and good structure and were clearly a team that was on board with the coaching staff.

Finally, I'd like to specifically give a nod to Bitten (and others) who have respected the draft process and reported where drafted. For you, I hope this ownership nonsense gets sorted out sooner than later and the team realizes its potential next season. The unwitting victims in all of this are the fans and players and it makes me root for them.

Flint may be ashamed of Mr. Nilsen, but it has plenty to be proud of and I just think it should be said more often.

bobbyt 91*

Not sure on the truth to this rumour but it's been said the OHL will allow London to operate Flint as a feeder team for the Knights? Flint will be like a "talent provider" for the "Big Club"? It allows London to have double the picks and double the players to ensure that they continue to get preferential treatment as has been discussed on the boards now for several years? All financial commitments will be paid for by the remainder of the leagues teams. Geesh those London guys always get the breaks don't they? ����

is this for real?

Melrose

May 8, 2014
OMG can you imagine the repercussions from the other teams if this was allowed to happen. Dream on, but at least it would probably be a better solution that the current mess.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
TSN has a bit more on the story, nothing really too new except that Kharin was likely looking for a spot for HIS son next year.

http://www.tsn.ca/how-the-flint-firebirds-unravelled-1.440435

I'm sure there will still be more to come out of this.

The clown that wrote this traveled all the way to Flint to get the drop on this story, but didn't even notice that Nilsen DID play in the game??? How much more of what he wrote can be believed???

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Then why did they announce 1900? Unless like I said that's their actually sth number and that would be extremely low.

Ok well I thought that would be obvious but i guess the dull in your screen name is there for a reason after all. When you are talking about the financial viability of a franchise you go by the paid tickets sold. Every team in the league reports attendance this way.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I already said it once, did they only have 1900 paid fans last night? If so that's probably their season ticket base or a little more therefore season ticket base is less than 1900. How is that feasible moving forward with what has happened with Flint this year? Unless Nilsen is just using this as a tax write off and willing to lose money. Karmanos was losing a lot of money the last few years and the write off no longer made sense.

What part of averaging over 3000 a game don't you get? why do you keep bringing up what at this time is nothing more than a statistical outlier. You really are dull.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The more I read the more my blood gets boiling! Rolf Nilsen should be enemy #1 in Flint. Not rival Saginaw, but Rolf! What he has done to these players and their families is unbeleiveable. What he has done to Flint fans and the Firebirds many sponsors and Firebird Staff. I am not sure how this guy can ever step foot in the arena again .

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Ugh, ok, I did the research and math. Flint is 15th in attendance. On average capacity they are 10th at 79% but I rounded up on my numbers. They're basically tied with OS for 9th at 79 but OS got rounded up, Flint down. If they were averaging just 3% more of capacity, they would be 7th. Not too bad considering it's a first year franchise in a new city with a rebuilding team.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The more I read the more my blood gets boiling! Rolf Nilsen should be enemy #1 in Flint. Not rival Saginaw, but Rolf! What he has done to these players and their families is unbeleiveable. What he has done to Flint fans and the Firebirds many sponsors and Firebird Staff. I am not sure how this guy can ever step foot in the arena again .

He was there last night, a STH that sits by me said he saw him up top and TSN reported seeing him leave the arena with Kharin. I didn't see his blue AMG Mercedes in the parking lot, but he was there.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
I am not trolling, but if attendance is as good as all the Flint fans are reporting, why was the director of ticket sales fired last week? You wouldn't think that anyone in the ticket office would have anything to do with the coaching situation or Nilsen's playing time. Just seems really odd like a lot of the things going on with this organization.

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
And before people point at the Whalers attendance and STH, yeah. The attendance did suck, and look where they are now!
My solution: 2016/2017 in Belleville.

I wouldn't want the OHL here in Belleville anymore, the way the city's relationship with the league ended last year has left a bitter taste in many residents mouths. Also the OHL has become a gong show over the last few years, look at Sudbury last year Flint this year.

When Simmonds son was past his playing age the team was sold and shipped out of town without even giving local buyers an option. It seems the league is now about rich men buying teams so their sons have a place to play hockey, there is a good chance when Nilsson's son is done playing that the team would be sold again and moved somewhere else.

Even if the team was moved to Belleville it would only be a temporary band aid measure until what Branch would consider a better option is available and Belleville fans don't need the heartache again.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I wouldn't want the OHL here in Belleville anymore, the way the city's relationship with the league ended last year has left a bitter taste in many residents mouths. Also the OHL has become a gong show over the last few years, look at Sudbury last year Flint this year.

When Simmonds son was past his playing age the team was sold and shipped out of town without even giving local buyers an option. It seems the league is now about rich men buying teams so their sons have a place to play hockey, there is a good chance when Nilsson's son is done playing that the team would be sold again and moved somewhere else.

Even if the team was moved to Belleville it would only be a temporary band aid measure until what Branch would consider a better option is available and Belleville fans don't need the heartache again.

There aren't any better options--with Hamilton already in the league again, there are no other cities in Ontario to go, Cornwall is very depressed and didn't work previously, and most cities in Michigan and NY are already AHL/ECHL/USHL territory and non-starters. And Buffalo isn't an option either.. no arena to play in with the Sabres there, plus that city isn't exactly that great and wouldn't support the OHL with an NHL team already there.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There aren't any better options--with Hamilton already in the league again, there are no other cities in Ontario to go, Cornwall is very depressed and didn't work previously, and most cities in Michigan and NY are already AHL/ECHL/USHL territory and non-starters. And Buffalo isn't an option either.. no arena to play in with the Sabres there, plus that city isn't exactly that great and wouldn't support the OHL with an NHL team already there.

(note: This does NOT mean I want Flint to move, per say, but me simply looking at what options are out there for future team)

Cities in Ontario that could do something:

Chatham - if they get a new rink, there's no reason they can't support a team. It's not a huge town, but you've got a pretty solid surrounding market.

Timmins - it's 3hrs north of Sudbury, as the closest team, but that's not much different than SSM. Biggest difference is Timmins is half of SSM's size and I'm not sure the Highway (11?) is great in the winter (someone else may know).

TBay - Get a rich owner who can pay for the insane travel....maybe? The market is there as they clearly have a helluva minor hockey league system. But...again...finances?

St Thomas - Population is almost 40,000 and it's one of those "close enough to have the market potential, but far enough to not be a bother" cities in relation to London. I know they have the Stars, but maybe?

Woodstock - Similar situation to St Thomas. Smaller city, but in the middle of a urban sprawl between London and KWC. They could draw from multiple markets (Guelph, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Mississauga).

GTA - I'm not talking Brampton, but a city in the north like Vaughn or King City, somewhere within the population but away from the "we're big city, so give us big team" mentality. GTA has a great minor hockey system so maybe there's potential in the burbs?

Belleville - get a new rink in there and all should be good, no?

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
(note: This does NOT mean I want Flint to move, per say, but me simply looking at what options are out there for future team)

Cities in Ontario that could do something:

Chatham - if they get a new rink, there's no reason they can't support a team. It's not a huge town, but you've got a pretty solid surrounding market.

Timmins - it's 3hrs north of Sudbury, as the closest team, but that's not much different than SSM. Biggest difference is Timmins is half of SSM's size and I'm not sure the Highway (11?) is great in the winter (someone else may know).

TBay - Get a rich owner who can pay for the insane travel....maybe? The market is there as they clearly have a helluva minor hockey league system. But...again...finances?

St Thomas - Population is almost 40,000 and it's one of those "close enough to have the market potential, but far enough to not be a bother" cities in relation to London. I know they have the Stars, but maybe?

Woodstock - Similar situation to St Thomas. Smaller city, but in the middle of a urban sprawl between London and KWC. They could draw from multiple markets (Guelph, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Mississauga).

GTA - I'm not talking Brampton, but a city in the north like Vaughn or King City, somewhere within the population but away from the "we're big city, so give us big team" mentality. GTA has a great minor hockey system so maybe there's potential in the burbs?

Belleville - get a new rink in there and all should be good, no?

Except for Belleville, none of those options are feasible.

Woodstock is London and Kitchener territory, and would be rejected by both teams.

Chatham doesn't have the money to build a new arena, and has no plans to do so anytime in the future, as they rejected plans to build an arena or do renos to their arena.

Timmins is not an option--it couldn't support a Tier 2 team, plus travel costs are too high, and most southern Ontario owners would cry foul.

Thunder Bay is a no go. Too far and southern Ontario and US team would reject this quickly. And they were rumored for the AHL previously with Winnipeg..

St. Thomas is London territory--not an option.

And the GTA--forget it! Many Jr. A teams in Toronto are struggling to survive, Mississauga is still not drawing and may leave after 2018, and jury's still out on Hamilton. Putting a team in Vaughn or King City is a bad idea, especially with the Leafs and Marlies in the city..

So basically, only Belleville (or Cornwall) are reasonable options.

Spitsy

Mar 21, 2015
Brantford? Arena built in 1967, 3000 seats to start off, would need a reno I'm sure and eventually a new building. Large surrounding area to draw from as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad