Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Go to the website and check attendance numbers. They are averaging over 3000 per game. Roughly 80% capacity on average. Citing a single low attendance weekday game as indicative of anything is just blowing smoke. Until you can establish a trend it is just an outlier.

Then why did they announce 1900? Unless like I said that's their actually sth number and that would be extremely low.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
From reading this forum, from watching your team and from attending your facility, there is no argument that Flint has embraced their franchise this season. However from a Canadian parents perspective there was a pre-existing reluctance from most if not all of them to embrace sending their young hockey players away to the Flint area. (rightly or wrongly that perception was there) The MacLeod fiasco did not help change that perception, only worsened it. Moving forward there will be absolutely NO Canadian parents willing to send their 16 yr olds to Flint now. Its a problem that has now been compounded by the 'watergate' scandal and imo cannot be overcome even with just a new owner. Changing owners won't be the magic button that changes perception. I hope that something can be done but this owner has made it all but impossible. Good luck Firebirds, some of us up here a cheering for you.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
From reading this forum, from watching your team and from attending your facility, there is no argument that Flint has embraced their franchise this season. However from a Canadian parents perspective there was a pre-existing reluctance from most if not all of them to embrace sending their young hockey players away to the Flint area. (rightly or wrongly that perception was there) The MacLeod fiasco did not help change that perception, only worsened it. Moving forward there will be absolutely NO Canadian parents willing to send their 16 yr olds to Flint now. Its a problem that has now been compounded by the 'watergate' scandal and imo cannot be overcome even with just a new owner. Changing owners won't be the magic button that changes perception. I hope that something can be done but this owner has made it all but impossible. Good luck Firebirds, some of us up here a cheering for you.

I couldn't disagree more.

My hope is that the Canadian Hockey parent would educate themselves about the situation at hand. It's been pointed out numerous times that the water issues are not in the same area where the arena is, where the players live, or go to school.

Secondly, the way the league has reacted to this should reassure the parents that the situation is under control by the league. Sudbury, Kingston, Windsor and even London all had issues at one point or another and kids still showed up and played and excelled.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Well that probably has more to do with an owner being around for less than a year and not wanting to rock the boat. Personally if a league has the power to enact an agreement with an organization after an incident it might not be a good league to be an owner in. Can you imagine being an owner in a league where the league tries to start strong arming another owner into side agreements? Sign me up for that!!!!!

I would imagine most of not all leagues have some sort of power like this, even professional leagues (Donald Stirling)

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
So the team can completely bottom out not play well and ownership can't do anything about that? Sudbury has won 27 games over their past 133 games would the Wolves be allowed to fire their coach. I hate the idea that the league can dictate what an owner can do. Why would anyone want to own a team in this league if the OHL can step in and prevent you from making moves based upon what happened a few months ago?

Flint had 1900 announced as attendance yesterday and most cases that's paid attendance. Why did they only get 1900? Is it because of what happened in November? Is it because they have bottomed out this year? Is 1900 only their season ticket base? If that's the case then this is a bigger issue than just Nilsen. A franchise can't survive with 1900 fans per game or with that being a season ticket base it isn't financially feasible.

The Mississauga Ice Dogs won 27 hockey games over a 4 year span and went through 6 coaches yet the league never stepped in. Flint deserves their own criticism but the league as a whole should have their feet put to the fire.

You are correct a team cannot. We are averaging over 3,000 a game and that should be sufficient.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would imagine most of not all leagues have some sort of power like this, even professional leagues (Donald Stirling)

That had more to do with a racial rant and it was bubbling for some time. The NBA was finally able to do something about it. I don't think this example for the OHL is going to end up well for Flint, Nilsen, the OHL and all involved. I'm not sure it's feasible to bring Nilsen back in the fold. It's probably not feasible to move the franchise or to find another owner on this short of notice unless we are willing to go through another vetting process.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015

My hope is that the Canadian Hockey parent would educate themselves about the situation at hand. It's been pointed out numerous times that the water issues are not in the same area where the arena is, where the players live, or go to school.

Secondly, the way the league has reacted to this should reassure the parents that the situation is under control by the league. Sudbury, Kingston, Windsor and even London all had issues at one point or another and kids still showed up and played and excelled.

As I stated this is the perception that now exists. I respect that you disagree but this is not utopia and parents are pretty protective of their children. They are not going to take the chance when they have other options available.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You are correct a team cannot. We are averaging over 3,000 a game and that should be sufficient.

I already said it once, did they only have 1900 paid fans last night? If so that's probably their season ticket base or a little more therefore season ticket base is less than 1900. How is that feasible moving forward with what has happened with Flint this year? Unless Nilsen is just using this as a tax write off and willing to lose money. Karmanos was losing a lot of money the last few years and the write off no longer made sense.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
I am absolutely sure if I had a 16 or 17 year old kid...I would not send him into this mess !! THINK OF THE KIDS !

vouve

Dec 8, 2015
this is troubling. for most of us on the inside of hockey - we know how crazy it can all get. we know the minor hockey AAA system that is rife with corruption, nepotism and good old fashioned bs. we know that when we tell our non-hockey friends about our misadventures they look at us as if we are scientologists. 'crazy as loons' they say. flat out stupid and nuts to put our families and children through all the perils of hockey - we would never do that to our children they think to themselves...
but we do it all to chase a dream. weather it is to achieve actual excellence (rare in this world) or to take the hard lessons of hockey and apply them to the world once it all ends - we all participate by putting our kids in this high wire act that is the ohl and professional hockey.
when the rules change that's when people get nervous.
an owner that forces the coach to play his son? no problem. par for the course.
an owner that fires the coaches twice so that his kid can play regularly? watch the fireworks.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
As I stated this is the perception that now exists. I respect that you disagree but this is not utopia and parents are pretty protective of their children. They are not going to take the chance when they have other options available.

Exactly. Most if not all of the other 19 clubs do not have this/these issues.

Its easy to see why a parent would chose one of the other 19 member club cities.

I'm not sure what I would do. Before this season, I would have advised my child to go wherever drafted. Yesterday, I revisited the decision and thought I'd likely change my mind in respect to Flint.

Today, after letting this issue breathe a bit, I think with a new, visible, well accredited and well respected management group, I might consider Flint for my child. That group however might be tough to find.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I already said it once, did they only have 1900 paid fans last night? If so that's probably their season ticket base or a little more therefore season ticket base is less than 1900. How is that feasible moving forward with what has happened with Flint this year? Unless Nilsen is just using this as a tax write off and willing to lose money. Karmanos was losing a lot of money the last few years and the write off no longer made sense.

I don't know what the issue is here....

Avg attendance BEFORE yesterday: +/- 3000 (+/- 80% capacity)

YESTERDAY (while shenanigans are ongoing): +/- 1900

One game's attendance (especially in this situation) has very little to do with the 25+ home games attendance figures before it.

vouve

Dec 8, 2015
this is troubling. for most of us on the inside of hockey - we know how crazy it can all get. we know the minor hockey AAA system that is rife with corruption, nepotism and good old fashioned bs. we know that when we tell our non-hockey friends about our misadventures they look at us as if we are scientologists. 'crazy as loons' they say. flat out stupid and nuts to put our families and children through all the perils of hockey - we would never do that to our children they think to themselves...
but we do it all to chase a dream. weather it is to achieve actual excellence (rare in this world) or to take the hard lessons of hockey and apply them to the world once it all ends - we all participate by putting our kids in this high wire act that is the ohl and professional hockey.
when the rules change that's when people get nervous.
an owner that forces the coach to play his son? no problem. par for the course.
an owner that fires the coaches twice so that his kid can play regularly? watch the fireworks.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
The issue is ownership. If the ownership changed I would send my son to play in Flint.

When you boil down to it , it's no different to me than Sudbury or Windsor under Riolo or London under Terry

Actually its way different. Two of your examples no longer own teams for starters. Sudbury battles the negative stigma I agree, but you're grasping now...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't know what the issue is here....

Avg attendance BEFORE yesterday: +/- 3000 (+/- 80% capacity)

YESTERDAY (while shenanigans are ongoing): +/- 1900

One game's attendance (especially in this situation) has very little to do with the 25+ home games attendance figures before it.

For the third time is 1900 the season ticket base or a little less. If what is currently happening with Flint is it financially feasible to have a season ticket base less than 1900. Will there be any backlash in the future? What will the attendance numbers be the rest of the year?

As a wise man once said you're entitled to your opinion but not entitled to your own facts.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

I'm hoping any kids drafted would come check out the Flint area and see where they'd be going to school and where they'd Billet.I bet if you ask each player this year they'd have nothing but good things to say about where they stay. I pray they relieve Nilsen of ownership and find a new home for his son to play.Need to start fresh next year.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI

You keep bringing up the 1900 as if its the finite number of season tickets, which complete nonsense. It's like saying, "I saw "....." had a blizzard last night and had 10,000 fans for their game. They must not be a viable NHL city.....Flint had 3904 in attendance for it's only other (non-Friday) weekday home game (Hamilton).

Most media outlets assumed that their wouldn't be a game tonight, since the coaching staff and owner were suspended, and it wasn't know if the players were even willing to play. Lets not pretend that didn't affect anything. On top of that, many people were/are ticked at Rolf for making another negative issue with this team. It gets old. I looked in here and read posts, made one of my own and was done at about 6:30ish, I felt no need to want to think about anything Firebirds after that, I'd spent so much time reading and following all the drama. I'm positive I was not the only one who was unwilling to attend last night.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
well that probably has more to do with an owner being around for less than a year and not wanting to rock the boat. Personally if a league has the power to enact an agreement with an organization after an incident it might not be a good league to be an owner in. Can you imagine being an owner in a league where the league tries to start strong arming another owner into side agreements? Sign me up for that!!!!!

100%

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Well that probably has more to do with an owner being around for less than a year and not wanting to rock the boat. Personally if a league has the power to enact an agreement with an organization after an incident it might not be a good league to be an owner in. Can you imagine being an owner in a league where the league tries to start strong arming another owner into side agreements? Sign me up for that!!!!!
Some fans do not seem to understand. Branch has all the right to what he did. Thease things have been in the rules of the OHL for years.

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
Well I was there and you are way off the mark. They claimed over 1900 paid probably closer to 1000 - 1200 bodies actually there which I view as pretty good considering weekday game and all the recent stupid that id going on. Fans here love their OHL team and are supporting them in spite of the all the drama and lack of winning. A franchise could not ask for a better fan base.
My estimate would've been closer to 800-900.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You keep bringing up the 1900 as if its the finite number of season tickets, which complete nonsense. It's like saying, "I saw "....." had a blizzard last night and had 10,000 fans for their game. They must not be a viable NHL city.....Flint had 3904 in attendance for it's only other (non-Friday) weekday home game (Hamilton).

Most media outlets assumed that their wouldn't be a game tonight, since the coaching staff and owner were suspended, and it wasn't know if the players were even willing to play. Lets not pretend that didn't affect anything. On top of that, many people were/are ticked at Rolf for making another negative issue with this team. It gets old. I looked in here and read posts, made one of my own and was done at about 6:30ish, I felt no need to want to think about anything Firebirds after that, I'd spent so much time reading and following all the drama. I'm positive I was not the only one who was unwilling to attend last night.

For the fourth time teams announce the number as tickets sold and seeing pictures I have a hard time believing there was 1900 seats in the stands in other words that's how many tickets were actually sold.

So if tickets sold for a game was 1900 where did those 1100 other people go? Did those other 1100 ticket holders all return their tickets?

For example if 1 fan bought a ticket to a game the announced attendance would be 1. If 4000 fans bought tickets to a game and not a single fan showed up to the game the announced attendance would be 4000.

Do you not understand my point? Maybe I have to post a fifth time.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I think they need to start calling themselves the Grand Blanc Firebirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad