Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Anthony Mantha (1 yr, $3.5m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
reasonsimbroke-larry-david.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think he's a lot better than his reputation would suggest. But that rep is also well earned, he's a pretty lazy f***er. Imagine we can turn him into a pick or two next spring.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'd rather take on the capdump & pick now, then sign a guy and maybe trade him later

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
I also think he's pretty not that great which helps us suck, but on the other hand he just got back a 2nd and a 4th and Vegas barely even played in the playoffs.

Basically buying picks with this signing, I am 100% for it. Good signing.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
He just returned and 2nd a 4th that alone makes it a smart move that can be flipped
To add to this, that was also when his cap hit was 2.85m after 50% retention. At 650k at teh deadline, there will be more suitors.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Interested to see how he does with Huberdeau. Mantha has a real good shot so if he finds chemistry he could put up some goals. Pretty low risk so I like it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Eh. Cant complain about the contract. Would have rather that spot go to the kids though. Flames have too many wingers.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Eh. Cant complain about the contract. Would have rather that spot go to the kids though. Flames have too many wingers.
There will basically always be 1 forward that is injured/sick/benched, even if Pelts is the 13th forward, he'll still play 60+ games assuming he stays healthy. I also think this means Rango or Zary will play C

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Another great signing. He works out summers with Pelletier and Huberdeau in Montreal.

He's big and is a shooter. If he find chemistry with Huberdeau (or Pelletier) I'd say sign him longer term.

If he doesn't he could be a TDL asset.

I'm hoping for the former. I've always liked the player.

Reactions: Tofveve and Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Another great signing. He works out summers with Pelletier and Huberdeau in Montreal.

He's big and is a shooter. If he find chemistry with Huberdeau (or Pelletier) I'd say sign him longer term.

If he doesn't he could be a TDL asset.

I'm hoping for the former. I've always liked the player.

Sounds like Conroy is assembling a crew to try and flick the puck around like a pinball machine.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
One year signings are always strange to me except maybe for acquiring a pick or two at the deadline I guess.

Reactions: Volica

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One year signings are always strange to me except maybe for acquiring a pick or two at the deadline I guess.

There isn't a bone in my body that'd commit more than a year to Anthony Mantha.

I like this deal a lot. Give him first line/top 6 minutes. 1st unit PP.
Let him get to his standard .6-.7ppg then move him at the deadline to a team looking for some scoring. He just got multiple picks at this TDL.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There isn't a bone in my body that'd commit more than a year to Anthony Mantha.

I like this deal a lot. Give him first line/top 6 minutes. 1st unit PP.
Let him get to his standard .6-.7ppg then move him at the deadline to a team looking for some scoring. He just got multiple picks at this TDL.
Agreed. This is how I see it too. I have no interest in Mantha for anything other than the TDL flip picks we should get. Same with Kuzmenko. Flip him at the TDL, do not re-sign. Do it with someone next year too. Then keep those spots for development.

Reactions: Volica and Figgy44

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed. This is how I see it too. I have no interest in Mantha for anything other than the TDL flip picks we should get. Same with Kuzmenko. Flip him at the TDL, do not re-sign. Do it with someone next year too. Then keep those spots for development.

Bingo.
No reason to keep either of these guys after this year.
Mantha will be 30 this year, Kuzmenko will be 29. Calgary if the stars align won't be putting it together until 27-28 when the new barn opens (and by putting it together, I mean having the top tier talent they need and starting to progress out of the basement).

I'm honestly looking forward to this rebuild in its own way. Like, Calgary has been so good at getting these really high role players forever, and has never been able to draft a franchise centre or franchise defender; yet still competing. Imagine MacKinnon on this Flames roster from like 2015-2022, or Barkov. You'd be talking about a cup contender every single year.

If we can continue to develop and find these guys looking for opportunity, then add in the franchise centres... I think you're talking about a team that could be a really successful one for the next decade+.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Bingo.
Mantha will be 30 this year, Kuzmenko will be 29. Calgary if the stars align won't be putting it together until 27-28 when the new barn opens (and by putting it together, I mean having the top tier talent they need and starting to progress out of the basement).

I'm honestly looking forward to this rebuild in its own way. Like, Calgary has been so good at getting these really high role players forever, and has never been able to draft a franchise centre or franchise defender; yet still competing. Imagine MacKinnon on this Flames roster from like 2015-2022, or Barkov. You'd be talking about a cup contender every single year.

If we can continue to develop and find these guys looking for opportunity, then add in the franchise centres... I think you're talking about a team that could be a really successful one for the next decade+.

Getting those top flight centers is what the Flames desperately need.

Look at San Jose now with Celebrini and Smith down the middle, they should be scary good in a few years. Colorado had MacKinnon but they couldn't get over the hump until Kadri exploded to a be a stud 2nd line center.

If the Flames miss out on a top 5 pick in this draft where there are essentially 4-5 top flight centers (Hagens, Frondell, Misa, Ryabkin and McQueen if he has a big year), then what are we even doing here? I'd argue we have the defensive prospects we need for a re-build, a strong blue chipper and multiple guys with high ceilings. Just need some high end forward/centers now.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Bingo.

If they produce, there is every reason to keep them. Our re-tool will continue on a measured pace and I look forward to making the play-offs as soon as next season.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
If they produce, there is every reason to keep them. Our re-tool will continue on a measured pace and I look forward to making the play-offs as soon as next season.
Seems just like another short cut to me. Keeping guys on the wrong side of 30 when most of what should be the new core is early 20’s would be a serious case of mismanagement to me. Especially if those guys could be flipped for assets that can be part of, or compliments to that core.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bingo.

Agreed. I think 2027-28 is likely the year we are done the rebuild and start to actively compete.

Agreed too on the role player thing in Calgary. We've been good at getting guys who are strong middle 6 and 2, 3, 4 defensemen. Of course part of the reason for that is we have no elite players to pay...haha.

Keep loading up on assets. Even picks 2 and 3 years out can be really helpful at the end of the rebuild as currency. Blackhawks model from the late 2000s is the blueprint. They had guys coming up and flowing in and out as cap constraints hit.

I think we might have our goalie and solid offensive defensemen group already. The forward group has no top line talent though. A bunch of typical Flames middle sixers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad