Confirmed with Link: Flames Recall MATTHEW PHILLIPS

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So with Matty being recalled and centre Zohorna also being recalled (if true) does this mean they go to the 4 line?
This makes the most sense to me. Call Phillips and Zohorna up to reflect a complete revamping of the fourth line from a bunch of aging vets to Lewis and Ritchie rotating around youth ala Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway. It could also signify a larger shift for to creating balanced lines, so maybe not Zohorna - Lewis - Phillips, but it could be Coleman and Dube being on the 4th line while Zohorna and Phillips are placed higher up to spread the wealth, so to speak, and find 4 working line combinations through the whole lineup.

He doesn't need practice time. He's 1.5ppg in the AHL.
Do you think the AHL is obsolete, or that somehow the guys that succeed have to be the middle-tier AHLers only? Genuinely, what is your beef with Phillips beyond people just thinking he (clearly) deserves a chance? What's the point of a development league in your eyes, when it's worthless for a young player to lead a league full of men in major offensive categories for 2 years straight?

Reactions: Dertell

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This makes the most sense to me. Call Phillips and Zohorna up to reflect a complete revamping of the fourth line from a bunch of aging vets to Lewis and Ritchie rotating around youth ala Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway. It could also signify a larger shift for to creating balanced lines, so maybe not Zohorna - Lewis - Phillips, but it could be Coleman and Dube being on the 4th line while Zohorna and Phillips are placed higher up to spread the wealth, so to speak, and find 4 working line combinations through the whole lineup.

Do you think the AHL is obsolete, or that somehow the guys that succeed have to be the middle-tier AHLers only? Genuinely, what is your beef with Phillips beyond people just thinking he (clearly) deserves a chance? What's the point of a development league in your eyes, when it's worthless for a young player to lead a league full of men in major offensive categories for 2 years straight?
Phillips probably shit on his car or something.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I seem to remember Gaudreau breaking out against the blose jackets way back when, perfect team to let Phillips get some confidence against

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
A lot of what people call having a short leash is just Sutter’s development style, and it’s honestly pretty effective. Guy just doesn’t allow bad habits to fester into a young guys games as they’re learning the league. It’s play the right way from the start, and learn to produce while being responsible. Start cheating or getting away from what makes you effective and you’ll sit or move down the lineup. Lots of people just see the one big mistake and think it’s an over reaction, but it’s usually the underlying game that’s slipping that leads to the gaffe.

Sutter has churned out some pretty impressive young guys over his years, and even our current young guys have took some major steps under him. Anyone expect 3 years ago that the Ward version of Andersson was going to be a 24 minute a night defenseman on pace for 65 points?
Nobody has ever, ever, been developed by being benched in the big league. Literally no one in the history of the NHL. NHL coaches aren't expected to develop players either. When they make roster decisions it's all about the short-term because they're evaluated on recent results and they can get fired anytime their teams start sliding. And that's true whether they're coaching contenders or not.

Sutter gives a short leash to players like ruzicka and dube because he thinks what they bring is less valuable overall than useless plugs like lucic. what people call having a short leash with young players is just that, and it's not a sutter thing. it's a "every dino in the league" thing. heck, hartley was arguably even worse and he was coaching in rebuild years.

Sutter is a dinosaur who happens to bring and establish good systems, nothing more.

Plus, the whole point of the AHL is that their systems can translate to the ones used by the big clubs. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of financial resources to maintain. That's why AHL's NHLe tends to be more accurate IIRC.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nobody has ever, ever, been developed by being benched in the big league. Literally no one in the history of the NHL. NHL coaches aren't expected to develop players either. When they make roster decisions it's all about the short-term because they're evaluated on recent results and they can get fired anytime their teams start sliding. And that's true whether they're coaching contenders or not.

Sutter gives a short leash to players like ruzicka and dube because he thinks what they bring is less valuable overall than useless plugs like lucic. what people call having a short leash with young players is just that, and it's not a sutter thing. it's a "every dino in the league" thing. heck, hartley was arguably even worse and he was coaching in rebuild years.

Sutter is a dinosaur who happens to bring and establish good systems, nothing more.

Plus, the whole point of the AHL is that their systems can translate to the ones used by the big clubs. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of financial resources to maintain. That's why AHL's NHLe tends to be more accurate IIRC.
…we quite literally have two examples on our team in the previous season and a half, where Kylington was benched an ENTIRE season and played the next one a changed man, and Ruzicka who went from a bottom liner putting up respectable numbers with effort and consistency issues, and who struggled using his size as an advantage, to this offensive tank we have today. Just last game he had two examples of just pushing his hip into someone and sending them flying to maintain puck control and pushing his man off the puck to cause our game winner. Find one example of that happening last year. Your also currently talking about the development path of Shane Wright so far by the way for examples on other teams, I’d bet you a fair amount of money he turns out alright.

Do you think the guys who dont play just fly around and eat popcorn? You participate in line drills, battle plays, system/special team set ups, as well as all the behind the scene work. “NHL coaches don’t develop players” tells me you honestly think a coaches job stops at putting together lines, and literally all that happens is the games you see on TV. Putting together lines and actually coaching a hockey game is like 10-20% of the role. Honest question, have you ever played in a competitive hockey league?

Also Lucic played 5 minutes last night, has any of Dube, Ruzicka or any young player ever gotten that treatment from Sutter? Or is Lucic just younger than I realized?

Last edited:
Reactions: ESH

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm not sure if this is serious or not.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yea look at how much Ruzicka got to pay in the playoffs Sutter loves young players
In LA he played Toffoli and Pearson in 2014, in 2012 it was King and Nolan (2nd line minutes), also Voynov on the back end. All young/rookies.

In 04 he played Lombardi as a rookie as well. This narrative he never plays kids is simply false. Ryan Pinder can scream from his soapbox it just is not true.

I wonder where in the line-up Sutter is gonna slot him. I have a feeling he’s gonna be on the 4th line to start and then he’ll work his way up
worked for Mangipane, but I think that was Peters.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How long till someone says he wasn't given a fair shake? Before puck drop? First error? Already happening? Experiment over, he's already cooked?

Rubi

Photographer
Jan 9, 2009
Just waiting for Kevin Rooney to clear waivers or be claimed today, I suspect.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's time to call Darryl Sutter out. That is not a position for Phillips to succeed.

Reactions: joescores

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Really wouldn't mind a:

Ritchie - Lewis - Phillips

Line in all reality. Ritchie is more skilled than anyone gives him credit for, Lewis for whatever you believe is a solid, responsible NHLer... and you'd like Phillips could get some offence out of Ritchie maybe? Zahorna coming up would be nice too, to play on the other side of Lewis for maybe a bit more skill.

Reactions: joescores

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Hoping the Flames stomp Columbus tonight and Toronto tomorrow.
Was looking at tickets for Saturday's game, but they're just ridiculously overpriced.
I'll wait until they're in Buffalo.
I was looking yesterday too. The prices have actually gone up since then. Shoulda jumped on it then.

Good to see another Ontario Flames fan though. My dads side of the fam is all in St. Catharines.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad