HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
What was the condition involving Philly and Florida? Is there still something in the air there that might affect which pick we get?

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
There is 4 outcomes to this pick.

1. Calgary and Florida’s pick are not top 10, Montreal will get the better of the pick (11-32).
2. Calgary is top 10, Florida is not top 10, Montreal gets Florida’s pick. (11-32)
3. Calgary is not top 10, Florida is top 10, Montreal gets Calgary’s pick. (11-32)
4. If both Calgary and Florida’s pick are both top 10, Montreal gets the higher of the pick (2-10)

There’s an exception to #4 option. If Calgary gets the 1st overall pick, then the pick is deferred to 2026 draft.

So if some miracle both Calgary and Florida miss the playoffs, and get top 10, the most likely scenario is that we will pick from 11-32.

So say we get a top 20 pick, Hughes and Gorton could use both 2nd round picks to move up 5-7 spots so we land 13-15.

This year’s draft is basically top 7-8 players.

Out biggest asset will be our own pick, most likely we will get a top 10 pick so one of the Hagens, Martone, McQueen, Frondell, Schaefer, Misa, Ryabkin Spence.

Here’s my comparisons: (I’m comparing their style of play, not necessary the player)

Hagens = Logan Cooley/Pierre Turgeon/Kirill Kaprizov
Martone = Brendan Shanahan/Corey Perry/Mark Stone
McQueen = Kirby Dach/Jeff Carter/Tage Thompson
Frondell = Ryan O’Reilly/Joe Neuwendyk/Elias Lindholm
Schaefer = Roman Josi/Scott Niedermayer/Adam Fox
Ryabkin = Sergei Nemchinov/Nico Hitchier/Josh Norris
Spence = Shawn McEachern/Ivan Barbashev/Joel Farabee

I really like Schaefer and Martone in this draft. Schaefer I think will be a franchise defenseman. Martone to me is a big impact player like in the playoffs he’s going to be like Tkachuk but less crazy.

Reactions: sandviper

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Imagine if the Pens draft 10th and Flames 11th with one game remaining and then the Pens beat Washington in the last game of the season to push Calgary down to the 10th spot. That would be the 3rd time the Pens hijack our rebuild.
Unless a team that finishes 11th to 16th wins a lottery spot, then the calgary pick bumps down to 11th!

I think something like that just happened pl need to the raptors. They lost their own top 10 pick because they didn't leave it it lottery protected enough, and they were safe going into the lottery, but then lost it after during the lottery. Ouch!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What was the condition involving Philly and Florida? Is there still something in the air there that might affect which pick we get?

Simple version
* If both picks are not in the top 10, Habs get the better of the two
* If both picks are in the top 10 (not likely), Habs get the worse of the two
* If one pick is in the top 10, Habs get the other pick.

Panthers pick won't be top 10. Flames are the team to watch... especially after their hot start. If they end up 11+, we are in a good spot.

Reactions: BLONG7

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

1. Calgary and Florida’s pick are not top 10, Montreal will get the better of the pick (11-32).
2. Calgary is top 10, Florida is not top 10, Montreal gets Florida’s pick. (11-32)
3. Calgary is not top 10, Florida is top 10, Montreal gets Calgary’s pick. (11-32)
4. If both Calgary and Florida’s pick are both top 10, Montreal gets the higher of the pick (2-10)

There’s an exception to #4 option. If Calgary gets the 1st overall pick, then the pick is deferred to 2026 draft.

So if some miracle both Calgary and Florida miss the playoffs, and get top 10, the most likely scenario is that we will pick from 11-32.

So say we get a top 20 pick, Hughes and Gorton could use both 2nd round picks to move up 5-7 spots so we land 13-15.

Out biggest asset will be our own pick, most likely we will get a top 10 pick so one of the Hagens, Martone, McQueen, Frondell, Schaefer, Misa, Ryabkin Spence.

Here’s my comparisons: (I’m comparing their style of play, not necessary the player)

I really like Schaefer and Martone in this draft. Schaefer I think will be a franchise defenseman. Martone to me is a big impact player like in the playoffs he’s going to be like Tkachuk but less crazy.
Schaefer is giving me Jamie Drysdale vibe not the IQ to become a franchise defenseman. A lot of hype on his skating but low production based on hype and looking injury prone. Ryan Murray was also similar but at least he was very good defensively.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

#4. If Florida finishes bottom 10, that pick moves to 2026 for Calgary. It's protected. That's actually not one of the conditions.

If Calgary doesn't get Florida’s 2025 pick then a whole host of other conditions come into play, including one where their pick is top 10 protected and another scenario where it's only 1OA protected. The latter one is extremely unlikely. They would have to trade Florida’s 2025 pick for that to happen, which they're obviously not going to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad