HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
this thread is going to be full of lots of drama by March lol
Imagine if the Pens draft 10th and Flames 11th with one game remaining and then the Pens beat Washington in the last game of the season to push Calgary down to the 10th spot. That would be the 3rd time the Pens hijack our rebuild.

• Wow
Reactions: Habs

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
What was the condition involving Philly and Florida? Is there still something in the air there that might affect which pick we get?

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
There is 4 outcomes to this pick.

1. Calgary and Florida’s pick are not top 10, Montreal will get the better of the pick (11-32).
2. Calgary is top 10, Florida is not top 10, Montreal gets Florida’s pick. (11-32)
3. Calgary is not top 10, Florida is top 10, Montreal gets Calgary’s pick. (11-32)
4. If both Calgary and Florida’s pick are both top 10, Montreal gets the higher of the pick (2-10)

There’s an exception to #4 option. If Calgary gets the 1st overall pick, then the pick is deferred to 2026 draft.

So if some miracle both Calgary and Florida miss the playoffs, and get top 10, the most likely scenario is that we will pick from 11-32.

So say we get a top 20 pick, Hughes and Gorton could use both 2nd round picks to move up 5-7 spots so we land 13-15.

This year’s draft is basically top 7-8 players.

Out biggest asset will be our own pick, most likely we will get a top 10 pick so one of the Hagens, Martone, McQueen, Frondell, Schaefer, Misa, Ryabkin Spence.

Here’s my comparisons: (I’m comparing their style of play, not necessary the player)

Hagens = Logan Cooley/Pierre Turgeon/Kirill Kaprizov
Martone = Brendan Shanahan/Corey Perry/Mark Stone
McQueen = Kirby Dach/Jeff Carter/Tage Thompson
Frondell = Ryan O’Reilly/Joe Neuwendyk/Elias Lindholm
Schaefer = Roman Josi/Scott Niedermayer/Adam Fox
Ryabkin = Sergei Nemchinov/Nico Hitchier/Josh Norris
Spence = Shawn McEachern/Ivan Barbashev/Joel Farabee

I really like Schaefer and Martone in this draft. Schaefer I think will be a franchise defenseman. Martone to me is a big impact player like in the playoffs he’s going to be like Tkachuk but less crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad